• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 20 MOA base with 50 MOA scope

redmosquito1

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2014
So I picked up an EGW 20 MOA base tonight and a set of weaver tactical low rings to replace the weaver 2 piece base and medium Warne Maxima fixed steel rings.

My question, or concern really, is that when I zeroed my Vortex Viper HS last week @100 yards it was pretty close to the middle of elevation adjustment of 50 MOA. Now with the 20 MOA base if I drop 20 MOAs I'll only have about 2 MOAs left to go down, which concerns me to keep the scope that far down in the adjustment doing internal damage. Am I off base here?

I know its preferred to use a 20 MOA base for long distances, and with only 50 MOA of adjustment I have to in order to get out to 1000 yards which is an eventual goal. I'll be spending a lot of time at the 100 and 200 yard ranges for now so would I be better served to return the scope (bought it at basspro and they have a 60 day return) and buy the Viper HS LR? My max budget is around $500-$600 so I don't want to go to crazy on the price right now.

Thoughts? Thanks

Can not and will not say it is proper or ideal but...........my 4200 bushnell elites have 44.25 moa of elevation. When I am done mounting them they have 4.25 down and 40 up. Not ideal but running hard a couple/few years that way with no trouble at all. Your results could very.

You wont do any damage, unless you are bottoming out and forcing it. Being that far off-center simply puts the optics into a position where you won't get optimal clarity. You may not even notice. When you shoot long and adjust elevation, you will be moving into the optimal alignment for clarity at distance, where it is more important.

Someone told me having it bottomed out like that does put more stress on the spring in a riflescope. It's kind of like putting 500lbs in the bed of your truck and leaving it there. It won't cause any problems right away, but could potentially lead to some down the road. Just food for thought.

I like to be able to use all the internal adjustments a scope has,,I start with a taper base depending on how much adjustments the scope has on how much taper and then I mount the scope with the Burris Signature Zee rings with the offset inserts,,when I get the combo of inserts matched and mounted like I want I am able to turn the elevation dial to the bottom and the first zero back up on the knob is dead on at 100 yards,,

Looks like you will have a natural zero stop and that not a bad thing