• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 20 moa base?

holeshot308

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2011
Central/West Texas
I've got a Savage FP-10 Choate, 26 in bbl in .308. The scope is a Millett 6.5X25X56 . Just wondering if installing a 20 moa base is worth the money for this rifle and what I would gain in the horizontal adjustment?

Re: 20 moa base?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: holeshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a Savage FP-10 Choate, 26 in bbl in .308. The scope is a Millett 6.5X25X56 . Just wondering if installing a 20 moa base is worth the money for this rifle and what I would gain in the horizontal adjustment? </div></div>
Do you mean vertical (elevation) adjustment? Because a 20 moa base doesn't give you anything in horizontal (windage). Assuming you mean elevation, you need to answer (1) how much elevation total does the scope allow, and (2) how far you want to shoot. If you don't already have a base, definitely get a 20 moa base and call it good. If you've already got a 0 moa base and want to shoot at 1000 yds and beyond, a 20 moa base is probably worth it (depends on how much elevation your scope has).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nimzoblanca</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: holeshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a Savage FP-10 Choate, 26 in bbl in .308. The scope is a Millett 6.5X25X56 . Just wondering if installing a 20 moa base is worth the money for this rifle and what I would gain in the horizontal adjustment? </div></div>
Do you mean vertical (elevation) adjustment? Because a 20 moa base doesn't give you anything in horizontal (windage). Assuming you mean elevation, you need to answer (1) how much elevation total does the scope allow, and (2) how far you want to shoot. If you don't already have a base, definitely get a 20 moa base and call it good. If you've already got a 0 moa base and want to shoot at 1000 yds and beyond, a 20 moa base is probably worth it (depends on how much elevation your scope has). </div></div>

I made that mistake. My scope did not have enough internal adjustment to bring me back to zero at 100 yards with a 20 moa base. Fortunately I had a set of Burris rings with off-setting inserts that worked. Lesson learned.

I would get a 20moa base if the scope adjustment allows it. Even if you don't plan to shoot far enough to need it its nice to have it just in case you get the opportunity. Actually, if the scope didn't have enough adjustment, I would sell it and get one that does.

Thanks for the info! The Millett will go to 600 yds without maxing out the horizontal adjustment. So I'm going to order the 20 moa mount and see if I can crank it out to 1000 yds. Holeshot

I would check for the adjustment range and also if you run into issues trying to zero with a 20 MOA base then set the rifle for a 200 yard zero and know your hold for 100.

Like you said I just compensate at 100. Having the 20 base has actually given me distance that my scope did not have which is why we buy moa compensating bases I suppose. One of these days if I ever learn to shoot further than this scope/base combo allows it will be time for a different scope.

The Savage is sighted in @ 200 yds. so it shoots 2 in. low @ 100 yds according to the Leupold Mark 4 rangefinder. Pretty smart rangefinder, gives you the correct hold shooting flat, uphill or downhill ( plus it has a butt load of little helpful things like a built in compass so I don't get lost in the woods ). Sent the Millett scope back to Buschnell because the horizontal crosshair is having issues with it not wanting to move after adjusting it. Tapping on the turret with a cartridge doesn't work anymore, but the recoil will cause it to move after shooting three or four rounds. Just kind of on hold to see if Buschnell will repair the scope or just replace it. Think I'm going to order a 20 moa one piece steel base while I'm waiting. Any suggestions on really good bases would really be appreciated. Holeshot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: holeshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Savage is sighted in @ 200 yds. so it shoots 2 in. low @ 100 yds according to the Leupold Mark 4 rangefinder. Pretty smart rangefinder, gives you the correct hold shooting flat, uphill or downhill ( plus it has a butt load of little helpful things like a built in compass so I don't get lost in the woods ). Sent the Millett scope back to Buschnell because the horizontal crosshair is having issues with it not wanting to move after adjusting it. Tapping on the turret with a cartridge doesn't work anymore, but the recoil will cause it to move after shooting three or four rounds. Just kind of on hold to see if Buschnell will repair the scope or just replace it. Think I'm going to order a 20 moa one piece steel base while I'm waiting. Any suggestions on really good bases would really be appreciated. Holeshot </div></div>

I bought Leatherwood for about 50 bucks but I tend to go for bargains. A little blue lock tight and they are good to go. No issues so far but I have less than 100 rounds under them. Researching the pros and cons of having it bedded down the road.

If you are looking for a good base then I would highly recommend US Optics (light and heavy duty), Badger and the daddy of them all is NEAR mfg. Truthfully there are more out there in many different varieties both those are the ones I have had the most experience with.