• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 20 MOA Cant? 30 MOA Cant??

TB2Blazer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2010
Cleveland, GA
I am a noob trying to learn and I can't seem to find it by searching so here goes. What is the advantage/reason for having a 0, 20, 30 or 40 cant on a rail? What does putting a canted rail on a gun do?? And how do you know what size to get. Again, I'm a noob looking to get a good rail for my brand new 700 AAC-SD and Bushnell 10x40 and wondered what the difference was or which one to get. Thanks.

Re: 20 MOA Cant? 30 MOA Cant??

You've been on here for over a year and don't know that yet? Here save this link for the future Snipershide Custom Search Engine

This thread answers your question.

This one will help you answer a lot of other questions you haven't thought about yet

This will help you visualize how to use the reticle for ranging and how to dial/hold for drop and wind

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You've been on here for over a year and don't know that yet? Here save this link for the future Snipershide Custom Search Engine

This thread answers your question.

This one will help you answer a lot of other questions you haven't thought about yet

This will help you visualize how to use the reticle for ranging and how to dial/hold for drop and wind </div></div>

^ what he said

Thank you for the help. Yeah, my whopping 16 posts in a year haha. As you can tell I don't have much time to sit around on the internet. I tried to search, and no offense to anyone but for me its hard to find the info I need on here and usually just a lot more time efficient to just ask. But thank you for helping out I appreciate the info.

Your welcome and the custom search is the way to go. The other one doesn't seem to work all that great.

Good ole' Chris Self at Miracle Machine Works. He built my rifle and is a hell of a gunsmith. I have also shot with his VG mount on one of his rifles before at a 600, 800, 900, and 1000 yard match and did quite well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good ole' Chris Self at Miracle Machine Works. He built my rifle and is a hell of a gunsmith. I have also shot with his VG mount on one of his rifles before at a 600, 800, 900, and 1000 yard match and did quite well. </div></div>

+1 I own 3 VGM's. They never fail to repeat.And no wearing out turret threads cranking them up and down every distance change.

Lets say you buy a scope with 45moa of total elevation travel. Mounted on a flat (0 moa) base that gives 22.5moa of up (and 22.5 moa of useless down) elevation. Now that is not enough up adjustment to shoot 1000 yards because you need 30moa according to your ballistics table (typical for 308). So you mount it on a 20 moa base and you now have 42.5 moa of up and 2.5moa of down.