• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20 practical reloading. please help a noob out

voytek198

Bon-Jorno
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2017
Hey Guys. Has anyone here formed resized 20 practical brass with Lee collet dies?

I recently put together a 20 practical on a savage action and have been trying to put dies together to reload with no luck. I'm into dies about 120 bucks already and not sure what I am doing wrong.

Long story short is I followed instruction from another forum and bought of 4 Lee 223 Collett dies (full size, neck sizer, seater and crimp). Then I purchased the 204 ruger mandrills and 204 collet for the neck sizer die. After putting the pieces together I full length sized the brass (with 223 die) then every time I try and neck size with the 204 collet it smashes the shoulder instead of reducing the neck to 20cal.

Did I waste a bunch of money on Collet dies when something else Is required? Any advice is appreciated thanks

20200911_222604.jpg

20200911_215746.jpg

20200911_215822.jpg

20200911_215831.jpg

Last edited:
A 204 collet is meant to resize a fired 204 neck, not to size a 223 neck down to 204. These collets have a narrow range of compression. They are not meant for wildcatting.

Basically the 223 neck is not making it inside the collet and instead is pushed down and collapses the shoulder.

Basically the 223 neck is not making it inside the collet and instead is pushed down and collapses the shoulder.

Gotcha. I have seen a few people on other forums using lee collet dies to form 20 practical is the reason I went this route. Is there another step that I am missing like necking down to something in between 22 and 20 cal? Or what would you suggest. thx

I use a Redding type S FL 223 die, with a 204 recapping rod and expander ball, and the appropriate bushing to size it down a little smaller than the expander ball. I have brass made, I am still waiting on a barrel that was supposed be done about 8 weeks ago now. LOL.

Yeah It looks like the collet dies will work great only after they are already sized for 204 not to neck down from 223. The Redding bushing method is the most popular so ill probably have to cut my losses and buy that setup now.

I just finished building a new 20 Practical using a Remington 700 in 223 as the basic gun. I sent it to Pacnor to have a new 20 Practical barrel installed. I broke it in , per their recommendations, and am getting excellent groups. I am using the 40 gr V-max with 23.5 grains of Benchmark Extreme and small rifle primers. I am very happy with it but have not yet taken it to the prairie dog towns. Obviously I am waiting on the spring thaw. I selected the 40 gr bullet because it has more retained energy at longer ranges.

To the best of my knowledge, no one publishes reloading data for this cartridge. I am a bit frustrated about that. The load I use works excellent in my guns and I see no need to change. Good luck finding a load for yourself. Be very careful about using loads from the internet because some of those people want to kill you.

I have another 20 Practical built on a Thompson Center break open action that I have not been happy with and will sell as soon as it is convenient. It shoots satisfactory groups at the range but not consistently in the field. I think that may be because I keep changing positions in the field. I am tired of beating my head against the wall with that gun.

I am 76 years old and have been playing with guns and reloading since about 10 years of age. I probably should have been arrested but I started early and learned a lot. I have a lot of guns and do a lot of reloading and shooting. What I am trying to say is that I feel competent in this area.

Below are my notes about how to form 223 cases, any 223 cases, into 20 Practical cases. I have done a lot of wildcat brass forming and this is as simple as it gets. So far, I have not proven that any particular brand of cases is better for this than another. Think about that before you blow a lot of money. Feel free to ask me any related questions. Use a 204 diameter decapping rod in the die. I set up a Redding 223 small base sizing die for this and do not use if for anything else. Therefore it is always set up for this cartridge and specifically not for the 223. I seat my bullets with a Wilson Chamber Type seater die in 20 Practical using an arbor press.

This is not hard.

8 FEB 21​

• CLEAN THE BRASS
  • INSPECT BRASS
  • CHECK PRIMER POCKETS
  • ANNEAL IF APPROPRIATE
  • LUBRICATE
  • SIZE USING YOUR REDDING .223 SMALL BASE SIZING DIE WITH NECK SIZING BUSHINGS. NOTE: OLD INFORMATION SAID TO PUT THE NUMBER ON THE BUSHING UP. PRESENT VIDEOS DO NOT TELL YOU THAT YOU HAVE TO DO THAT.
  • PRELIMINARY RESIZE
  • SET BACK SHOULDER
  • PRELIMINARY NECK SIZE USING 0.233 NECK SIZING BUSHING
  • FINAL NECK SIZE USING 0.226 NECK SIZING BUSHING
  • TRIM FOR LENGTH IF NEEDED, SAME LENGTH AS 223 CASE

Reactions: voytek198
The 20 Practical data isn't as easy to gather as say, buying a reloading manual from one of the big outfits, but there are smaller outlets for the wildcats. The small caliber stuff on A.S. and Saubier is where they tend to gather stuff.

Small Caliber News went out of publication as Todd Kindler is retiring The Woodchuck Den, but it was a great forum for load data.
ETA: Todd has a few of the last copies of the books, The Terrific Twenties and The Sensational Seventeens if you are interested his site is still working.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I'm glad this thread got revived today. Its inspiring me to get back to loading for my 20p. I've had good luck with the 32 vmax and h4895. My barrel is a 12 twist so I run the lighter stuff with better results.

I think its pretty much identical to 20 Tactical load data.
The 20 Practical data isn't as easy to gather as say, buying a reloading manual from one of the big outfits, but there are smaller outlets for the wildcats. The small caliber stuff on A.S. and Saubier is where they tend to gather stuff.

Small Caliber News went out of publication as Todd Kindler is retiring The Woodchuck Den, but it was a great forum for load data.
ETA: Todd has a few of the last copies of the books, The Terrific Twenties and The Sensational Seventeens if you are interested his site is still working.

Use 20 Tactical data, they are basically the same and everyone ha data for 20 tactical.

Have a 18” 20 Prac bolt & an 18” AR, both 11tw x-cal blanks
35gr Berger match varmint
25.1gr 8208xbr
Star line brass
Cci 450
2.16 oal
One shoots a little faster than the other 3600+

One other thought. Load them up and shoot prairie dogs. I do not specifically fire form. I find it to be a waste of time and money.
Damn Deadeye welcome to the hide. 76 and still causing a ruckus gives me something to shoot for. 👍

I just finished building a new 20 Practical using a Remington 700 in 223 as the basic gun. I sent it to Pacnor to have a new 20 Practical barrel installed. I broke it in , per their recommendations, and am getting excellent groups. I am using the 40 gr V-max with 23.5 grains of Benchmark Extreme and small rifle primers. I am very happy with it but have not yet taken it to the prairie dog towns. Obviously I am waiting on the spring thaw. I selected the 40 gr bullet because it has more retained energy at longer ranges.

To the best of my knowledge, no one publishes reloading data for this cartridge. I am a bit frustrated about that. The load I use works excellent in my guns and I see no need to change. Good luck finding a load for yourself. Be very careful about using loads from the internet because some of those people want to kill you.

I have another 20 Practical built on a Thompson Center break open action that I have not been happy with and will sell as soon as it is convenient. It shoots satisfactory groups at the range but not consistently in the field. I think that may be because I keep changing positions in the field. I am tired of beating my head against the wall with that gun.

I am 76 years old and have been playing with guns and reloading since about 10 years of age. I probably should have been arrested but I started early and learned a lot. I have a lot of guns and do a lot of reloading and shooting. What I am trying to say is that I feel competent in this area.

Below are my notes about how to form 223 cases, any 223 cases, into 20 Practical cases. I have done a lot of wildcat brass forming and this is as simple as it gets. So far, I have not proven that any particular brand of cases is better for this than another. Think about that before you blow a lot of money. Feel free to ask me any related questions. Use a 204 diameter decapping rod in the die. I set up a Redding 223 small base sizing die for this and do not use if for anything else. Therefore it is always set up for this cartridge and specifically not for the 223. I seat my bullets with a Wilson Chamber Type seater die in 20 Practical using an arbor press.

This is not hard.

8 FEB 21​

• CLEAN THE BRASS
  • INSPECT BRASS
  • CHECK PRIMER POCKETS
  • ANNEAL IF APPROPRIATE
  • LUBRICATE
  • SIZE USING YOUR REDDING .223 SMALL BASE SIZING DIE WITH NECK SIZING BUSHINGS. NOTE: OLD INFORMATION SAID TO PUT THE NUMBER ON THE BUSHING UP. PRESENT VIDEOS DO NOT TELL YOU THAT YOU HAVE TO DO THAT.
  • PRELIMINARY RESIZE
  • SET BACK SHOULDER
  • PRELIMINARY NECK SIZE USING 0.233 NECK SIZING BUSHING
  • FINAL NECK SIZE USING 0.226 NECK SIZING BUSHING
  • TRIM FOR LENGTH IF NEEDED, SAME LENGTH AS 223 CASE
20 Tactical load data is the same as 20 Practical. H-322 is your friend...

As to necking down, you can use your seating die (if you have a .20 Practical specific seating die) to form the case. A little known fact is that form dies are typically made from seating dies by the die manufacturers.

As to necking down, you can use your seating die (if you have a .20 Practical specific seating die) to form the case. A little known fact is that form dies are typically made from seating dies by the die manufacturers.
Minded blown! That’s Genius

I just tried using the seating die from the Redding Custom for 17-556 KAK on 5.56. Using the sizing die on the 5.56 cases, I was getting 50% crushed cases. Running them through the seating die, THEN the sizing die it worked 100% of the time. It leaves a little dimple on most shoulders, but that will go away with the first firing. Thanks a Million!