• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

$200.00 Do I start reloading or buy more bullets?

DeauxJoe

Daisy Picker
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2011
Thibodaux, La
I have a couple of hundred bucks to spend, do I get a basic reloading kit and start in on it? Or is it not worth it to get in it on that kind of budget?

Re: $200.00 Do I start reloading or buy more bullets?

sometimes you can get a rockchucker plus a bunch of other tools and goodies for that-ish on craigslist.

Generally it'll take a good chunk more than that to get everything you need.

Something like this?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Reloading/Presses-Dies|/pc/104792580/c/104761080/sc/104516280/Lee-Deluxe-Turret-Press-Reloading-Kit/740033.uts?WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104792580%3Bcat104761080%3Bcat104516280

If your over all goal is reloading, but still need to shoot, maybe split it. Squirrel away $100 for reloading equipment, then buy some ammo. OR, squirrel it all away and buy a complete set for reloading (dies, press, powder measure, bullet puller, reloading manuals, components).

I reloaded on a rock chucker for years before I bought a progressive reloader. I still single roll my 308 and 300wm, but .40, .38, .45, and some .223 I reload like a mad man because I do not need to be AS precise. YOu just need to determine what you REALLY need, then work on wants.

A single stage will do you just fine for a long time.

I roll my own. One at a time on a used rcbs rockchucker. But it was my dads and it was free.

I'm not familiar with a rockchucker. To answer ogreshooter's question not that's not giving up ammo to buy that, I just had some extra cash and was thing about getting into in but didn't want to blow the bank.

I would get the Lee Anniversary kit, $100, and get a digital scale($40). Take the other $60 and buy a couple trays, a set of dies, and a caliper. That is right about $200 and you should be able to make cartridges. The beam scale on the Lee kit is worthless, so the digital scale is a must.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeauxJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a couple of hundred bucks to spend, do I get a basic reloading kit and start in on it? </div></div>

I recommend that you start hoarding brass (yours),
start shooting a bit less (shudder)
then when you can buy a whole reloading kit, the dies, a box of bullets, and a box of primers, that then you start reloading.

No reason to get the kit if you can use it rather immediately.

However, keep in mind that by the time you have reloaded your 500 round in 270, the whole kit will have paid for itself. So, if you are going to shoot 500 rounds in the next <pick a unit of time> year, then buy the kit, pills, primers, and powder, and have at it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeauxJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or maybe this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smart-Reloader-O...11#ht_916wt_922 </div></div>

I have never used any of their stuff, but have heard nothing but bad reviews from it from other reloaders. Stick with the mainstream brands (RCBS, LEE, Lyman, Hornady, etc) and you'll be happy. You're building small bombs that explode inches from your face, buying off-brand gear is a bad idea IMO.

" The beam scale on the Lee kit is worthless, so the digital scale is a must."

I don't love the little Lee Safety Scale but it's very accurate and very sensitive so I sure wouldn't say it's worthless. (But I would say that about any cheap digital scale.)

$200 is plenty to obtain all you will really need. Get a Lee Anniversary kit (not the SmartReloader stuff), Lee dies and accessories and do some reloading, NOW!

Understand that this site is populated by well meaning people who tend to load a LOT and have acquired a lot of costly stuff over some period of years and now think everyone else should do things the way they do today. That's well intended but wrong; I say get what you can afford, knowing it will allow you to make quality ammo for your .270 as well as anything much more costly and will do so for a very long time. Later, IF you ever decide to change something, you will have the experience to know what you want without having to ask us.

Jump in, have fun. Like fungus, reloading sorta grows on you!
wink.gif

I've never used a Lee single stage but I've used a few of there dies and a Load master progressive press. I haven't been impressed with some of Lee's hand tools but their dies are good and their press will make good ammo. I started with an RCBS kit, similar to this one: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=646599 mine came with a case trimmer that is not included with this one. You can get into a good Lee kit for your budget and upgrade what you don't like as you go.

Here's an old trick that I use ALL the time when it comes to keeping a guns/shooting addiction financed.

It never don't work.....

When it appears I'm running alarmingly low on money; or of all things, happen to actually run out of money.....I just go make some more.

Repeat at needed.....

Let me clarify what I mean about the Lee beam scale. It was very accurate, but it was SO incredibly difficult to get zeroed out. I use a pact digital scale/dispenser, so I haven't used a cheaper digital scale(like the Frankford Arsenal DS-750), but they cant be all that bad, can they?

You will not save a dime reloading. You will spend more than you ever imagined on components and equipment. Your wife will not be happy either. It is a disease you can't stop from spreading. Good luck !

It depends on your goals. I started reloading after my first encounter with Hornady 5.56 TAP which I bought at a gun show for $1.75/round. For the first time, I shot a 5 round group at 0.4moa and I was hooked. Only problem was that while I could technically afford $1.75/round, I could not imagine enjoying it very much. With my first batch of handloads, I had one 5 shot group that was under .75moa; however, 4 of them were 0.25moa. I have found that I get as much satisfaction out of producing accurate ammunition as I do shooting it. But, don't do it to save money. As a wise person at my range told me, you don't save money reloading, you just shoot twice as much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308mk4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You will not save a dime reloading. You will spend more than you ever imagined on components and equipment. Your wife will not be happy either. It is a disease you can't stop from spreading. Good luck ! </div></div>

Amen. I thought it was just me. I do tend to be a bit of a tool junkie and snap up just about anything that I think will help make more accurate ammunition or make it easier/faster to still produce accurate ammo. I can't remember, but I am probably up to $4K in the past few months. Dillon RL550B, Dillon RT1200 electric trimmer, small vaccum cleaner for the trimmer, RCBS 1500 Chargemaster, Dillon Super Swage, RCBS Casemate, a reloading bench which looked good enough to put in my home office without antagonizing the boss, (lol,) LED light bar for over the loading bench (fluorescent can affect electronic scales), Dillon rifle dies, Redding Competition Bullet Seating Die, Hornady case trimmer (before I upgraded to the RT1200), Hornady Concentricity tool, Starrett .0001 dial indicator to upgrade the Concentricity tool, two Whidden Gunworks toolheads with UniqueTek clamps and floating dies, an Ohaus 10-10 balance scale to double check the electronic scale, a Competition Electronics Chronometer, A Dillon headspace gage, a Hornady Anneal Kit, An RCBS Precision Mic tool for measuring OAL of the finished rounds, a Hornady OAL tool for measuring the distance from the bolt face to the lands, A Lyman Turbo Tumbler, a Hornady Magnum Sonic Cleaner, A Sierra loading manual, A Hornady loading manual, plus a plethora of nickel and dime stuff such as funnels, case lube, case lube tray, loading trays, bullet puller, dial caliper, spare parts for the 550B, etc. and then there are the components: 10 lb of VARGET powder, 1# each of TAC, RL-15, Accurate 2520, VhitaVouri N140, 2000 bullets by various manufacturers, 2000 primers (Federal 205M), 25 lb of once fired Lake City brass, 100 Match Lapua brass. And finally, not included in the above price or category, but without the fantastic accuracy of the finished ammo, I probably would not have felt the need to purchase my NightForce NXS scope.

308mk4 was not kidding about it being a disease. If you don't have a very good job, or can't control your spending, think twice about getting into reloading. lmao... But, I have found a new hobby which gives me as much satisfaction as accurately shooting the ammunition I make.

i use a lee single stage press and dies with a rcbs digital scale. i splurged a bit on the scale but imo, its worth it as i couldnt make sense of the lee scale and i just didnt trust my adjusting it. digital is much faster.

of the lee anniversary kit, the beam scale is the only piece i dont use.

im one of the few who probably does save money with reloading. i do shoot a bit more but not competition levels so i do save a bit. i also consider it better quality ammo i match to my rifle. cant get that massed produced.

I am doing it more to see exactly what my rifle and I are capable of. I know there are one good .270 rounds out there. So I was interested in dabbling. Lol.

http://www.cabelas.com/checkout/basket.jsp

This is what I have together so far. How am I doing?

I'm not really doing it to save money, I can afford to just buy store ammo and that's why I never got into reloading. I am mainly doing it now so I can shoot rounds with better BC's.

Here is my suggestion.. it is what i did about 6 months ago and i really like it.. faster than a single stage but not as complicated and expensive as a progressive..
their are 100's of rock solid reviews on this.. and i can agree.. get the pro auto disk upgrade with it as well..
the thing is build like a tank..

it is literally 95% of what you need.. pick up a pair of calipers.. and a scale .. i found a scale on ebay that works just fine for about $15.. slowly add to it as you recoup some funds.. case trimmer.. etc.. and start hoarding brass from everywhere you can :)

I started in 45acp with it.. and am now doing 9mm and just bought my dies for 308 as I am having a new GAP10 built right now.. looking forward to it..

Kempf supply Lee Classic turret press kit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308mk4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You will not save a dime reloading. You will spend more than you ever imagined on components and equipment. Your wife will not be happy either. It is a disease you can't stop from spreading. Good luck ! </div></div>

I'll oppose that view though I know exactly what you are saying......

Start filling whiskey bottles with spent primers and compare the cost of reloading to buying factory ammo.

You will definately enable yourself to shoot MORE by reloading.

Narrowing things down by choosing components and equipment wisely, and thus eliminating foolishly spent funds, is where the cost savings will take effect.

Components that work will pay off in a shortened span of time for load development; and good gear will pay for itself many times over, and likely be handed down in good working order.

I could never shoot the the way we do if I didn't reload.........

I think you save money reloading. Not to say it doesn't cost more to start up, but when I can reload 308 with Match bullets for $.50, that is a savings. It is a good hobby, you will have a good feeling of accomplishment, and save a couple bucks.

Tripwire, I think we both understand the situation; however, I was trying to interject a caveat for someone considering reloading for the first time. You can certainly keep it to a tight budget if 1) you don't have any other choice, and 2) you are satisfied with mil-spec numbers. IF, on the other hand, you can afford it, and have just a touch of OCD in you, it is easy to be lured by the quixotic quest for the next 0.01moa of accuracy improvement. THAT is the disease part. And to some extent it sneaks up on you, because the individual upgrades do not break the bank, but eventually add up. Presently I find myself considering neck turning, meplat trimming, and bullet pointing. It never ends... But, it's all good. At least I'm not running the streets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeauxJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am doing it more to see exactly what my rifle and I are capable of.... I am mainly doing it now so I can shoot rounds with better BC's. </div></div>

what kind of accuracy do you want ?

chasing accuracy your probably going to want redding s-type dies ,bushing neck die, body die, and mirco seater die, and all that will cost around 100-150 bucks, pretty much your budget.

and bullets with hi bc's arent cheap either ,lapua brass. Around 200 bucks just for 200 rounds of that stuff ( and were not talking about powder primer yet)

i hear some guys have great results with lee dies , but i never did.

so unless you think your one of those lucky lee guys , i dont think you have enough money to get exactly what you might want.

buy a kit and upgrade when you feel ready most every kit has everything you need except dies powder primers and bullets pick one and go it.it will pay for its self eventually. Not saying its all perfect but it will load bullets safely and you may like a rcbs press and a lee powder dump doents mean anything use what works

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeauxJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not really doing it to save money, I can afford to just buy store ammo and that's why I never got into reloading. I am mainly doing it now so I can shoot rounds with better BC's. </div></div>
DeauxJoe,
I've read this thread a few times trying to get more of a feel for what you are looking for (you may not be able to define it yet, I'm still not sure what my niche is in shooting/reloading) but when you say you want to shoot rounds with better BC's, I just wanted to make sure you were familiar with the terminology. No offense, I do not know you. BC is only one component of bullets/finished rounds. It's main application is when you are going for long range (beyond 600yd). Ballistic Coefficient can be thought of as how much air resistance and wind affect the bullet in flight. I have not shot beyond 200 yd yet; however, my reading leads me to believe that the people most interested in BC are shooting beyond at LEAST 300-400 yd. There are many other considerations to bullets. Even the term ballistics is broken into Internal, External, and Terminal. Internal Ballistics deals with the time that the bullet spends from initiation to the end of the barrel, External Ballistics is from the end of the barrel to the target, and Terminal Ballistics deals with what the bullet does inside the target (important in hunting, not so in shooting paper).

Maybe the best place to start would be in reading. A good basic reference would be reloading manuals. I use the Sierra reloading manual and the Hornady reloading manual. For more in-depth information, I recommend three books: Understanding Firearm Ballistics by Robert Rinker, Precision Shooting - Reloading Guide edited by Dave Brennan (each of eight different authors wrote a section), and Handloading for Competition by Glen Zediker. The first two you should be able to find used or at a library. The last one I had to buy new.

Well this is the deal. I am interested in long range shooting. I am shooting a .270 because a guy owed me some coin and gave it to me. So I am not so much worried with the actions of the bullet once it contacts the target. I am just interested in shooting as far as I can. Match ammo doesn't exist for the cal. so I am considering "rolling my own" as you guys say. I happen to have a $200 gift card to blow. That is why I am considering getting into this. I could spend more but I don't know that I will get into this long term so going drop 1k on the doesn't seem wise.
I had read on BC's and and have a basic understanding of how it affects a bullet traveling through the air. That why I am after bullets with higher BC's. The best round I could find was Winchester silver tip with a BC of about .496. While the Berger 150 gr VLD has a BC of .531.
So basically I was thinking if I could spend a couple of hundred and safely roll a few to see how it works out it would be nice to try it out. I just wanted to make sure my experience would be well informed.

Win Silver Tips are excellant hunting bullets but they won't give you the long range accuracy of a proper target bullet. By itself, BC is deceptive; a lower BC bullet that is more accurate will give you much better scores.

Your accessment of your situration and needs - at this point - is valid. IF your needs ever change YOU will know it and can then decide what you might wish to change to! Actually, many of us agonise over the brand of our tools more than is helpful; reloading AND shooting skill is what matters most and that can't be bought in a special colored box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> By itself, BC is deceptive; a lower BC bullet that is more accurate will give you much better scores.
</div></div>
+1 , the g7 is more accurate then the g1 , the g1 sucks for long range shooting.

That 200 will be gone quick. When you factor in the press, dies, the table you will want to build, the tumbler, the calipers, the OAL gage, the shell holders, the funnel, the scale, the powder thrower, the case trimmer, the fancy range cases.... and thats not including the actual components

The benefits are huge but the costs have definitely snuck up on me. But I do love it.

Just a thought but if your near someone thats got the set-up and don't mine showing you a thing or to about reloading. You may get out alittle cheaper by buy your dies/primers/powder/bullets and your used brass. Then use there loader station on the first few hundred or so before buying your kit. But this is just a thought! similar to how I got started

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a thought but if your near someone thats got the set-up and don't mine showing you a thing or to about reloading. You may get out alittle cheaper by buy your dies/primers/powder/bullets and your used brass. Then use there loader station on the first few hundred or so before buying your kit. But this is just a thought! similar to how I got started </div></div>

Now there is a great suggestion! If you have any friends who reload, your $200 should cover basic dies and components to get started and see if you enjoy the process. One good thing about reloading is that there seems to be some standardization on dies and they will fit just about any reloading press, single, turret, or progressive. There is the added advantage of having someone show you how it is done. If you don't have any friends who reload, hang out at the benchrest range at your range. I have found that these are very friendly people who love to share their knowledge. Make friends with some of them and eventually you will find someone willing to take you under their wing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeauxJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am doing it more to see exactly what my rifle and I are capable of. I know there are one good .270 rounds out there. So I was interested in dabbling. Lol.

http://www.cabelas.com/checkout/basket.jsp

This is what I have together so far. How am I doing?

I'm not really doing it to save money, I can afford to just buy store ammo and that's why I never got into reloading. I am mainly doing it now so I can shoot rounds with better BC's. </div></div>

I have a .270 that I had some work done on and it seemed to like the 150 grain Bergers. Good luck and have fun!!!

Here is a pic of mine:
270pics001jpg.jpg

I have gotten hits out to a grand with it with the 150 grain bergers, I was loading them with 58 grains of Ramline Magnum powder using Norma brass. This is the data I have for mine.

150 grain bergers 3050 fps (30" Hart Barrel)
58 grains Ramline Magnum powder

200 yards 1.50 moa
300 yards 4.00 moa
400 yards 7.00 moa
500 yards 10.25 moa
600 yards 13.50 moa
700 yards 16.75 moa
800 yards 17.25 moa
900 yards 20.50 moa
1000 yards 23.75 moa

I started reloading with $200. I had just enough to get everything I needed to start me on my first 100 cartridges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hognuts</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 200 yards 1.50 moa
300 yards 4.00 moa
400 yards 7.00 moa
500 yards 10.25 moa
600 yards 13.50 moa
700 yards 16.75 moa
800 yards 17.25 moa
900 yards 20.50 moa
1000 yards 23.75 moa </div></div>

Is that the group sizes in inches, or the minutes-of-angle. 1 moa at 100 yd is 1.047" (usually approximated as 1") however, that .047 cannot be ignored at 1000 yd. That would be a group size of 23.75 * 1.047 * 10 - 248.66 inches, or 20ft, 8.7 inches. I think you might have meant a group size of 23.75 inches.

I do have a guy the is big in reloading down the street I will go talk to him. After talking to you guys I think I am going to take a shot at this. I will put a few loads together and let you guys know how it's going. Thank y'all for all the info and advice.

Sick .270, any advice on my build?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fully Involved</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But, don't do it to save money. As a wise person at my range told me, you don't save money reloading, you just shoot twice as much. </div></div>

sums it up

I would recommend reloading as well. I started out on an inexpensive Lee set-up bout 10 years ago. For pistol I moved on quickly to a Dillon Square Deal B, then onto an XL650. But for rifle and loading for my bolt guns, I still use that Lee.

Pros for reloading:
--cost per round significantly reduced after you amortize the cost of the initial equipment
--I found my carefully reloaded ammo to group better than factory ammo

Cons:
--Time

~Mitch

Is that the group sizes in inches, or the minutes-of-angle. 1 moa at 100 yd is 1.047" (usually approximated as 1") however, that .047 cannot be ignored at 1000 yd. That would be a group size of 23.75 * 1.047 * 10 - 248.66 inches, or 20ft, 8.7 inches. I think you might have meant a group size of 23.75 inches.

That was minutes of angle....just my elevation settings at the different yardages...not group sizes, I usually just shoot steel, not looking for benchrest paper groups, just hits on target.

OK, sorry, I was stuck in group size mode. I just heard that a world record was set for a group of five at 1000 yd of under 2". That seems unbelieveable!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeauxJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do have a guy the is big in reloading down the street I will go talk to him. After talking to you guys I think I am going to take a shot at this. I will put a few loads together and let you guys know how it's going. Thank y'all for all the info and advice.

Sick .270, any advice on my build? </div></div>

What I did with mine is have a smith true up the action, put a Hart 30" barrell, (not sure of the contour, it is 1.250" at the reciever and 1.00" at the muzzle) lightened up the factory trigger, put some bottom metal on (cheap cabelas conversion kwik clip) Bell and Carlson Stock, USO Remmington LA 20 MOA base, custom brake, Harris bi-pod. Good Luck and have fun with it. There is not a wide selection of match ammo available for this caliber, but the Bergers do a good job.

DeauxJoe,
About three months ago I RE-STARTED reloading after a one year layoff. The peace, precision and enjoyment offered by reloading my own ammo gave me too much pleasure. I really missed not doing it. Within a year or so I might make up the cost of my new outfit. Then again, I might not. I reload more for the pleasure than for the money saved.
If you are not inclined to purchase a new set-up, I would recommend you check the internet and local classifieds for a good USED reloading set at a reasonable price (1/2 off retail prices) from someone within about 50 miles of your house. Go look at the outfit.

If you look at a used outfit it might be worth your while to bring green money cash with you and offer the seller a little less than what he/she is asking. Money does talk.

Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thespecialist</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeauxJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or maybe this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smart-Reloader-O...11#ht_916wt_922 </div></div>

I have never used any of their stuff, but have heard nothing but bad reviews from it from other reloaders. </div></div>

I bought a Smart Reloader kit a while back, at the time I thought it was Hornady equipment and got a surprise when I opened the box. Some of the stuff is usable, some is worthless, overall it's not worth buying. I used the digital scale to set the powder measure on my Dillon at 3.2gr of Titegroup Tuesday; when I doublechecked it with my RCBS beam scale, it was actually throwing 3.4gr. I'd consider that a big difference considering the size of the charge.

spend the cash load your own it's one third the cost of buying , with the money you save you can buy moor tools and equipment to roll your own