• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes 200 yard 22lr long range scopes for around $100 bucks?

Simplejack

Private
Minuteman
I'm totally new to long range shooting, so if I say something that sounds stupid, that is probably why :eek:

I'm going to be ordering a Savage Mark II FV-SD .22lr later this week and I'm going to need a scope here in the next few weeks.

Is there any good scopes for around $100 bucks or a little more if I need to that is capable of shooting a 22lr accurately at 200 yards? I will be mostly shooting 50 to 100, but I will be wanting to attempt reaching out to 200 on occasion, but I need to see the details on the target to get as accurate as I can and not just shooting towards a silhouette of a target circle.
I know nothing about scopes, so have no idea what magnification I would need?
I was looking at the Nikons, but they have all those circles on the crosshairs and I don't know if that will work out well for what I need. I think those are more geard for hunting or pop cans?
100% target shooting for accuracy. I don't shoot animals, so it will never be used for that.
If a good scope for 200 yard range is too far over $100 budget, I can just focus on a good scope for 100 yard range, but I want to see details on my target if possible?
Ofcourse I won't be starting out at 200 yards, but for when I do go that far, I don't want to have to buy another scope.

Maybe a Mueller APV 4.5-14x40mm AO ? I think I seen some of those online for like $135 The guy at the local gun store was going to show me some optics in my price range, but usually when a local store sell something for $100 bucks, it's usually $60 bucks online.

I also need scope rings that will mount on a picatinny rail. I don't really wanna spend more then $40 bucks on these. I know nothing about scope rings either :confused:

View attachment 41371

Last edited:
Find a used SWFA fixed scope in 10-20X here on the Hide For Sale Section. You may be able to pick up a cheap set of rings with it! Spend some time reading different sections here on the Hide. I guaranty you'll learn a lot.

I think if you saved a bit more money and got a SWFA 16x you'd really be happy with it. Lots of travel, great mechanics and great glass. Keep your eyes open in the classified and you might get a good deal on one.

Topstrap

I have a bushnell elite 3200 10x40 mil/mil and take my 77/22 to 300.

I just pickup a couple of Nikon 3-9x40 Rimfire scopes for $114. They are good for informal target. I put them on a ruger american 22 and marlin xt-22. I thought about getting the APV but it is not the best scope for quick shots (own two and sold 2). It works better for bench shooting. I would read the reviews on both. I agree that the swfa 10 or 12 would be a great option. Save your pennys.

Last edited:
I just pickup a couple of Nikon 3-9x40 Rimfire scopes for $114. They are good for informal target. I put them on a ruger american 22 and marlin xt-22. I thought about getting the APV but it is not the best scope for quick shoots (own two and sold 2). It works better for bench shooting. I would read the reviews on both. I agree that the swfa 10 or 12 would be a great option. Save your pennys.

This^^^^ That Nikon 3-9X40 is a great scope for the money. I have one on a Remington 552.

Cheers,

George

I been looking around in the forums and most I seen are way more then I want to spend. Reminds me when I had my DSLR camera buying lenses.. The better the glass, the more expensive. But I'm not taking pictures, I just need to see the target up close, so I think I can be ok with a lesser quality piece, and the reality of my budget keep giving me a reality check.. :(

I found 2 scopes that I think will do me good.

1 is the Primary Arms 4-16×44
http://www.wallsofthecity.net/2014/05/primary-arms-4-16x44-a-review.html

The second is Mueller APV 4.5-14x40mm
Mueller APV 4.5-14x40mm: Leupold Glass For Less by Zog The Primitive - YouTube

There is better glass out there I'm sure, but there will always be better glass then the next better glass.
Both of these scopes have great reviews and you gotta dig pretty deep to find anyone saying anything bad. I don't think I found a bad review on it yet that would make me not want to get one.
I know it's not a name brand, but they seem to be a great scope for putting holes in paper with a .22lr
I will be bench rest and prone outdoor target shooting only up to 200 yards, so I think one of these scopes should be ok.

Any idea on what scope might be better from the 2 mentioned above?

I really like the price on the Mueller, fits perfectly in my budget, especially since i still need to buy scope rings..

Took 3 days for the post to be approved HA!... :( Anyway..

Is there any other scopes that should be added to the list for a scope that doesn't cost more then $150? I need something that's at least 10x and being a zoom lens would be better.
I'm searching the forum right now for another scope to add to the list from post #15 mentioned above.. Just looked and those budget scopes are $200 to $500..

Last edited:
For $100.00 BSA. The Millett 4-16x TRS-1 is a good 22LR scope and it will do 200yds. The TRS-1 go for about $360.00 I know we have a few in stock, they are not on our website so if you would like one let me know.

Here is a link to the TRS manual it will have a lot of info on it. http://www.millettsights.com/downloads/TRS_Manual_WEB.pdf

Again if we can be of help let me know.

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

just got a brand new burris mtac 4.5-14x42 mil/mil on closeout for $245 for my rimfire. Save another $100 or so. you will get a much more useful scope. is the mtac the best? no. but for the price i paid that is one hell of a scope for the rimfire. and the reticle is similiar to my higher quality vortex optics so training will be similiar.

edit:

this one

Burris 4.5-14x42 MTAC 30mm Rifle Scope

Last edited:
I have a simmons 3-9 that tracks accurately enough to 200 to consistently hit pop cans with my 10/22. The turrets feel like they're going to break at any minute but they haven't yet. I think it was a little less than $100. That being said I really don't expect it to last forever. I have a few thousand rounds through it though.

just got a brand new burris mtac 4.5-14x42 mil/mil on closeout for $245 for my rimfire. Save another $100 or so. you will get a much more useful scope. is the mtac the best? no. but for the price i paid that is one hell of a scope for the rimfire. and the reticle is similiar to my higher quality vortex optics so training will be similiar.

edit:

this one

Burris 4.5-14x42 MTAC 30mm Rifle Scope

That's way too expensive and even if I found the same deal you got, it's still out of my budget. If I would be able to spend that much on a scope, my search would start all over looking for the best scope for $300+..

Last edited:
That's way too expensive and even if I found the same deal you got, it's still out of my budget. If I would be able to spend that much on a scope, my search would start all over looking for the best scope for $300+..
for scope rings...if you are a first time customer to midway you can get a one time discount. i got some burris xtr 30mm low rings, free shipping, $10 discount. ~$50. cant remember exact amount.

Do yourself a big favor and get a versatile scope. The BSA 4-14 tactical is a great scope for your purposes. It's FFP with a nice modern mil reticle and mil turrets. They are $250 when on sale at Midway and go for about $200 used. They also focus as close as 10 yards and have target turrets which you will need.

Otherwise get a SWFA.

What are the "Target Turrets"? I tried searching online and was kinda confused on what part they are talking about and it wasn't very clear..

They are usually uncapped, usually wider and taller which are easier to grasp, with clearly visible and audible clicks and lines below the turret indicating how many revolutions the turret travel has gone. Most tactical style or target scopes have them.

Oh, another important thing about a scope that is to be used for long range is how much total internal travel a scope has. Both the SWFA and the BSA have a lot.

I have a old 1" target scope that only has 24 moa of total travel. The scope is pretty worthless for any distance shooting. NOT very versatile so it stays on that one rifle.

Last edited:
They are usually uncapped, usually wider and taller which are easier to grasp, with clearly visible and audible clicks and lines below the turret indicating how many revolutions the turret travel has gone. Most tactical style or target scopes have them.

Oh, another important thing about a scope that is to be used for long range is how much total internal travel a scope has. Both the SWFA and the BSA have a lot.

I have a old 1" target scope that only has 24 moa of total travel. The scope is pretty worthless for any distance shooting. NOT very versatile so it stays on that one rifle.

ok thank you :)

I probably wont know the fine details of what I need until I get a scope and then see what features I need and upgrade if needed from a cheaper scope.

For $100.00 BSA. The Millett 4-16x TRS-1 is a good 22LR scope and it will do 200yds. The TRS-1 go for about $360.00 I know we have a few in stock, they are not on our website so if you would like one let me know.

Here is a link to the TRS manual it will have a lot of info on it. http://www.millettsights.com/downloads/TRS_Manual_WEB.pdf

Again if we can be of help let me know.

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

I use this same scope on both my CZ455 and on my Ruger 10/22 T. Our rimfire precision league shoots from 25 Y to 200 yards and the Millet TRS-1 4X 16 does the job quite well.

Good luck.

Last edited: