• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

200 Yards

SmallBoreSnipers

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
Troy, NY
I apologize for not having a pic of the target, but I took my first shots today at 200 yards. I was shooting at 100 yards and did pretty good. Then for my last 10 rounds I adjusted the elevation for 200 yards, and the windage for a 10 mph breeze we were having. I fired 10 rounds and when I walked up to see the target it was a 4.6" group centered around dead center. I'm pretty phsyched for it being my first time. Also this was just using the bipod and my shoulder. I feel that if I was using the monopod on the rear I could've cut that group in half! So that's what I'll be trying next time out. Also I can't see where I'm hitting so I also need to get a spotting scope now. Woohoo!
smile.gif

Re: 200 Yards

Reaching 200 yards with the .22LR for the first time (and using only your bipod & shoulder - which by the way is the way we do it here in our monthly .22LR matches at SH), is always something you'll remember and a stepping stone that is no longer out of reach.

Nice job!
smile.gif

That is some great shooting, but I wouldn't count on going to monopod substantially shrinking your group size. I have found very little difference in group size between rear bag off of a bipod and bipod without a rear bag.

I am finding that I am averaging about 1.65 MOA at around 200 yards for 5-shot groups. I see some really tight groups and some inexplicably large groups. It is all really a function of the ammo and the ambient conditions. It is almost impossible to read and compensate for all of the wind effects at 200 yards... rimfire benchrest people have a difficult enough time doing it at 50. Sometimes, I hit days when the wind is consistent. And note that I say "consistent." I tend to struggle on some days when the wind is relatively calm, but variable.

I highly recommend the rimfire comps here to improve your chops at 200 yards... The key is getting the bullet where you need it to go and not so much groups. These comps helped me to get away from groups (precision) and start focusing on accuracy. I highly recommend them.

Thanks! Yeah I was just excited for it being my first time. I just wanted to be on the paper, but when I walked up and saw that I was like SWEET. Now I can stick a 5" sticky shoot n c out there and go at it. I think I'm going to hang out at 200 for quite a while though. My goal for 200 is to be at 1.5 MOA. My heart beat was really coming into play at this distance when sighting in. That's what I'm hoping the monopod will help with. I don't have to be on my stock as much. It's pretty much dial it in and pull the trigger. Don't even have to worry about breathing. What do you mean "comps"?

By the way, I am shooting a Marlin 917vr .17hmr with Winchester V-Max 17gr. ammo.

I always use a steel target when I start getting out there just because I can see and hear my hits. I hate it when I shoot 5 rounds, and walk out to find that none of them hit. I now have a much larger steel target to shoot so i'm going to eventually stretch the legs of the .22 out to 225-250, and maybe a little further if I can talk to the wife into letting me get a 20moa base.

Branden

Yeah at the club I'm in they have a 8" piece of steel along with the targets out at 300 yards. I definitely want to improve a lot before I move out to another distance again, but I might enjoy pegging that thing once or twice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSnipers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah at the club I'm in they have a 8" piece of steel along with the targets out at 300 yards. I definitely want to improve a lot before I move out to another distance again, but I might enjoy pegging that thing once or twice. </div></div>

Hitting it shouldn't necessarily be the problem with a 17hmr. That tiny bullet though, making enough sound to hear is a different story. When I had my 17hmr, hearing the hits at 200 was difficult, at least I could see the black splats on the target, and it didn't hardly move the target either (steel swinger). When I hit it with a .22lr 40gr at 200yards, it still has enough KE to swing the target a bit.

Branden

Yeah that's a good point. I probably won't hear it. Like you said it's hard enough to hear it at 200 yards, and I doubt it would have anough KE to move anything. Maybe I'll loosen up those ear plugs when nobody is looking. So loose that they're not there haha. My wife shoots a .22lr. Right now she's shooting at 50 yards with irons. I'm still trying to persuade her into mounting a scope on it. She's a good shot, so I'd like to see her get out there!

Going out to 200 with a 22 is very much fun. I like it more than with a 17 because with a 22 its more of a challange. With a 17, it is too easy. My groups today was about 2 inches at 200 yards. I was quite happy with myself. My 22 though, not as good. I think Im gonna put a different scope on it so I have one for sale right now. If anyone wants it its 40 bucks and shipping and it will be at your door. (its a 3-9 bushnell. It works great, I just want more magnification. pm me if your interested. )

Depending on your range, electronic ear muffs can enable hearing a little "tink" whem shooting .22s at distant steel.

Damn man 2" is pretty cool.

What about these electric ear muffs? Sounds interesting. Is this something you can get at Walmart or something like that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depending on your range, electronic ear muffs can enable hearing a little "tink" whem shooting .22s at distant steel. </div></div>
Yup. I like to go to my favorite range on Mondays because the range is pretty deserted. The steel is freshly painted, so with so few shooters I can easily see my groups and hear (Winchester) T22 40gr. bullets smack the Desert Ram in the head at 300 yards when I'm wearing amplified hearing protectors.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSnipers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
By the way, I am shooting a Marlin 917vr .17hmr with Winchester V-Max 17gr. ammo.
</div></div>

Oh, I didn't realize this was with a 17. You should be able to get pretty tight out to 200 with a 17. I know that the longer the range I go, the more the 17HMR starts to outshine the 22LR.

When I say "comps," I mean the 22LR monthly competitions here on this board. Just by the targets in the link, take 30 shots, and post your scores. It is intended for 22LR, but I have no objection to the 17... realizing that your results will probably be better. And I am guessing you will be able to improve that with a monopod. With my post, the point is that wind effects are going to dwarf small differences in your hold at 200 yards. With a 17, those differences might be more acute.

Carter, I have a CZ453 Varmint. I was looking to start shooting at 200 yds. My question is do you have enough clicks up for 200 yds or do you have a 20 moa base to get there?

Oh that's cool. I'd like to see how I rank with the competitors lol.

I'm not sure if that CZ is a .22LR or if it's a .17 hmr since I think they make them in both. From 100 yards to 200 yards with the .17hmr I only had to sight the elevation in about 4 - 5 inches higher.

I have a .17 HMR in a Savage 93 and it shoots really good until the wind blows then its time to stop wasting ammo. The .22 lr is a lot cheaper to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Carter, I have a CZ453 Varmint. I was looking to start shooting at 200 yds. My question is do you have enough clicks up for 200 yds or do you have a 20 moa base to get there?</div></div>

I'd have to do the math later, but I use a 20 MOA base, zero at 50 yards, and then I need 7.5 mils to get to a little over 200 yds. My gut instinct is that you don't need the base to get there, but you might as well use one as a 22LR has a lot of drop.

OK... I did the calcs. You will need approximately 35.3 MOA of drop to get to 200 yards. You will need to check to see whether your particular scope has this much drop. My guess is that most do. A Busnell Elite, for instance, has about 48 MOA of vertical travel. Barskas tend to have around 100 MOA.

I would still get a canted base if you don't have one. If you already have a base that is not canted, I wouldn't buy a new one. Your main issue will be that you run out of windage travel as you max out your elevation travel. If you hold over, as opposed to dialing windage, this isn't a big deal. If you dial windage, it might be.

I use a Bushnell Elite 3200. 5-15x50, illuminated reticle, sunshade. Crystal clear. I love that thing.

Yeah I've heard nothing but good stuff about that Savage 93 .17hmr. I had the model 93 .22wmr. It was pretty awesome. It's different for everyone, but for me the .17hmr just seems to be a bit more accurate than the .22wmr. With ammo price being about the same for the two, I made the trade to the .17hmr.

I have got a 917VS. It is very accurate at 100...maybe a bit more than my 22. I have not tired it at 200, but I have to assume it is more accurate. These are very accurate guns for $300 or so...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is some great shooting, but I wouldn't count on going to monopod substantially shrinking your group size. I have found very little difference in group size between rear bag off of a bipod and bipod without a rear bag.

I am finding that I am averaging about 1.65 MOA at around 200 yards for 5-shot groups. I see some really tight groups and some inexplicably large groups. It is all really a function of the ammo and the ambient conditions. It is almost impossible to read and compensate for all of the wind effects at 200 yards... rimfire benchrest people have a difficult enough time doing it at 50. Sometimes, I hit days when the wind is consistent. And note that I say "consistent." I tend to struggle on some days when the wind is relatively calm, but variable.

I highly recommend the rimfire comps here to improve your chops at 200 yards... The key is getting the bullet where you need it to go and not so much groups. These comps helped me to get away from groups (precision) and start focusing on accuracy. I highly recommend them. </div></div> I wonder what gun your using to do that 1.65 at 200 with. Please tell me ist not my old 40x.

^ Haha. Yeah there's probably some bastard out there shooting 1.65 at 200 with my old Savage 93 .22wmr. I must say I don't think I ever really did bring it to it's true potential, but I still think that even if I did, my Marlin would be a better shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nesikabay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder what gun your using to do that 1.65 at 200 with. Please tell me ist not my old 40x.</div></div>

You got it! I would guess it didn't do that with open sights
wink.gif

As well as this shoots at 50, it is better (relatively) at 100, and even better at 200. And I have no idea why. That long barrel, one would think, would slow the bullet down and make it better at shorter ranges, but go figure!

BTW... I have named it... 40X-caliber. She shoots!

^ It's funny you mention that. It almost seemed like my Marlin wanted to shoot farther too. I even joked to my wife when I was walking back to the benches that according to my targets I shoot just as good at 200 yards as I do at 100 yards haha. Also I noticed I did not get the bullet drop that I was expecting at all. Everything I researched and everything people told me said that at 200 yards, the .17 cal would drop 8 - 10 inches. But it only dropped about half of that, which I thought was pretty cool.

I shoot 200 yards every time I shoot at my own range in my back field, I have swinging steel targets I made from black steel 1/4" and they are welded to stainless rods and greased spindles. I have them floresent orange and some white. I made them in 2"x2", 4"x4", 6"x6" and 10"x10". I made them to last and stay out on the rods all the time. They work real well and the 2 inchers spin all the way around when hit, sometimes 3 or 4 times before settling back down.
lots of fun. top grade ammo of course makes a difference, but I have found that I can hit the 4"x4" steel at 200 yards at least 4 times out of 5 depending on conditions and wind with cheap Federal Lightning or Remington Golden hollow points and that is good enough for me when out there just plinking. I have friends over and the kids love the range and we all have fun.
My favorite 22lr is my CZ 452 Varmint..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Like you said it's hard enough to hear it at 200 yards, and I doubt it would have anough KE to move anything. </div></div>
You're right, it is hard to hear hits on steel @ 200 meters! I now wear my Caldwell amplified muffs when shooting steel at 200, and the delay before the bullet strikes is long enough for the muffs to "reset" from muffling, and start amplifying again. I hear every hit now.

Ive been using Pride-Fowlers' Rapid Reticle scope to make 200 meter hits, as well as 150m, 100m, and 50m, without touching any knobs. Using the right ammo, (cheapy Blazer, or better CCI Select), the BDC stadia lines are amazingly dead on! Its fun to use on an accurized 10-22 for quick, multi-range longrange shots! I leave the true precision shooting to my CZ452 American/ Leupold 6.5X20 EER, with target knobs and Wolf MT.