• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

$2000-$2500 rifle

Jackcrow73

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2013
NE North Dakota
I am mulling around a few ideas and I am looking at different guns, custom or factory. There just doesn't seem to be any precision/tactical bolt action rifles in this price range. Any ideas/suggestions? I'm thinking short action calibers.

I would go custom. $2,500 can get you a trued Rem 700 with a custom barrel, a nice stock, trigger, etc.. Or you can find a hell of deal on a used rifle right for $2,500 in the "firearms for sale" section. There has been 2 GAP .260's that have sold here the past month for like 2k.

For $2700 you can get a AI AE MKIII from mile high, that will make any other rifle in your price range seem like a turd.

Yeah, pretty much this. Got into a demo MKIII folder a few weeks ago for even less, which was nothing sort of a jaw-dropping amazing deal.

Wow that's a good deal from Mile High. I am really just looking to get out of the Savages that I have and get a higher quality rifle. Can't ask for much more quality than AI.

For $2700 you can get a AI AE MKIII from mile high, that will make any other rifle in your price range seem like a turd.

Given AI is discontinuing the mk3 and announcing new models in a couple weeks at shot show wouldn't that drive the price down a bit more for current models after the announcement? I'd think there would also be even more mk3's and hopefully ax's which I'm looking for to hit the used market from people looking to get into the new models.

Given AI is discontinuing the mk3 and announcing new models in a couple weeks at shot show wouldn't that drive the price down a bit more for current models after the announcement? I'd think there would also be even more mk3's and hopefully ax's which I'm looking for to hit the used market from people looking to get into the new models.

Probably not. Might even go the other direction (in time).

If you go back and read the threads that have to do with the speculation about what AI will come out with, all of it centers around the fact that the AE causes sales leakage to the AW / AX. The MK3 is the closest thing to an AW ever.

To the OP and others - your best deal is something off of this board in the for sale section. Remember, many of us say to ourselves 'this is 'the one' and initially don't see ourselves needing / wanting anything else. It just never seems to work out that way though. As such, bear in mind that unloading a used GAP (insert name here) is far easier and worth more the second, fourth, fifth time around than a lesser known smith. Also - right now there more used AIs in the FS section than ever before. Without insulting the sellers you may probe around at why they are selling, how much they really need, and then walk away with a great stick of any of a number of stripes.

Last edited:
Given AI is discontinuing the mk3 and announcing new models in a couple weeks at shot show wouldn't that drive the price down a bit more for current models after the announcement?

The current prices at Mile High and Euro Optic are the discounted prices, and are screaming good deals. Buying a factory-new AI for under $3000 is an insane deal; the only thing crazier would be turning down a deal like that.

The current prices at Mile High and Euro Optic are the discounted prices, and are screaming good deals. Buying a factory-new AI for under $3000 is an insane deal; the only thing crazier would be turning down a deal like that.

These are a hell of a deal. I thought I was getting a hell of a deal a month or two back when I got mine for 3400 (for the folder version) from mile high. But I dont regret it one bit. I love it just as much as my DTA. The AE MKIII is a great rifle. Frank (lowlight) even shoot his a lot. Thats saying something right there especially when he has access to almost anything to use. I wish I could find the thread where Frank comments on the AE, maybe he can chime in.

Last edited:
I just picked up an AI AE MKiii folder in 260. Even with the up charge for the folder and 260, I doubt I could have built a comperable rifle for what I paid. If you want a 308 and don't care about a folder or not, I don't see how you can do any better than the current sale.

I just picked up an AI AE MKiii folder in 260. Even with the up charge for the folder and 260, I doubt I could have built a comperable rifle for what I paid. If you want a 308 and don't care about a folder or not, I don't see how you can do any better than the current sale.

Their prices right now, on more than just rifles, are just flat out insane. They are selling Viperskins for $75!!!! That's 50% off what Victor Company charges!! I picked up an AI AE MKIII folder in 260 the day before Thanksgiving...they gave me a killer deal on it. I saved enough money to go back and buy a Vortex Razor a few days ago. I am going to have a tough time buying anything but another AI from Mile High for my next rifle. I've got a 308 and a 260...next on my list is an AX 338.

As others have said, keep a close eye on the for sale section, you'd be surprised at some of the deals you can find there.

Damn those prices are crazy :eek:. I don't need another .308 bolt gun but at less than $3k I want one just to have. Damn my low pay.

Remington 700 action: 450$
Bartlein Blank: 360$
Manners + Minichassis: 1000$
Chamber/True/Crown Muzzle from GA Precision: 350$

My take on it. Though if i had the cash to spend i would go AI as mentioned that's a ridiculous deal.

I agree with what others have said about getting the AI from Mile High. Its a unique factory rifle that shoots lights out. There's a lot of Remingtons in AI chassis when I go to the range but hardly ever a real AI. If i hadn't just ordered a new rifle from SAC I would be all over one.