• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing 2009 Deer Rifle Pics

ejd049

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2007
Ft Worth, Texas
With possibility of hunting Mule Deer this season I started a 300 Win Mag project sometime back. Right now with out rings, full mag, and scope it sits at 11 lbs. Just curious what your hunting with and weight?

P1010722.jpg

P1010723.jpg

Rem 700P 300 Win Mag
Badger FTE
Bolt Knob
M5
Alloy 20 moa base and rings
McMillan A3
Seekins SRS
TIS Sling

Re: 2009 Deer Rifle Pics

I gotta carry mine on my back, so they are a little lighter.
Borden 7-08 Ackley. Don't recall weight, but about 7 1/2 lbs.
100_1688.jpg

Rem .260 Ti/McM Edge. 6 lbs, 1oz.
100_0541.jpg

No pic, but sako L61R action on mcmillian edge stock, hart #3 contour barrel, chambered in .280AI. It's a carry gun for mulies. Haven't weighed but it's light because I carry it all day long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ejd049</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With possibility of hunting Mule Deer this season I started a 300 Win Mag project sometime back. Right now with out rings, full mag, and scope it sits at 11 lbs. Just curious what your hunting with and weight?

P1010722.jpg

P1010723.jpg

Rem 700P 300 Win Mag
Badger FTE
Bolt Knob
M5
Alloy 20 moa base and rings
McMillan A3
Seekins SRS
TIS Sling </div></div>

man I love that stock color ! how did you come up with that ?

seriously... nice looking rig man !
grin.gif

I expect a full range report and dead critter pics
cool.gif

270 VJ, 222 Rem mag necked and blown to 270 cal. I have pushed a 90 grainer at 3000 with this, was designed for the encore/contender. Rifle was built by Verne Junke or whatever he is known for some kind of odd machine to do with bullet jackets.
15673DSC01026.JPG

My 7RM has a laminate stock an weighs 9.5 lbs with scope, bipod, sling, etc.

My 300WSM weighs 10.5 fully equipped as above.

I hunt mulies/wt in medium/rough country and would not want a heavier rifle as I carry mine all day. Lighter is better but with mags, a little heavier gun can be easier to shoot well because of recoil.

If you are going hunting in really steep canyons where you have to climb a lot, lighter is way better unless you are very conditioned.

I prefer light. Same stick I made mention of in the other post...
deer08010-1.jpg

PAI built 7-08
21" #3 Broughton 5C on a Seven action
AWR stock
Leupy one pc base, VXIII 2.5-8x36
Metal, Black Cerakote
Stock, OD Cerakote

Carries like a feather at a just over 7 lbs loaded, although I never did catch up with that buck...

I'm done packing heavy rifles in the woods. I'll hunt with a couple this year...but mainly this one. Rem 700 Mtn Rifle contoured 243 in a Ti Stock, with fixed 6x42 in Talley LW's. A McMillan Mtn. Rifle stock is on order and should be here in another month or so. The McM will add a little weight....but not much.

DSC_1218.jpg

My 2009 deer hunting rifle is a AI/AWSM .338 lapua weight huh (pretty freaking heavy) Why I only have to walk at most a couple of hundred yards to check my kill. I either hunt from my vehicle or park my vehicle under the blind and climb up.

Winchester 70, 25 WSSM, 6.5 lbs. I walk steep terrain and My Rem 700 LA in 25-06 with 24" bbl got HEAVY after a few hours!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice looking rig Brad ! </div></div>

A lightweight 243 with a fixed 6x42.....it's just a no fluff rig that even a woman can get the job done with. LOL. I took her out last night and she whacked this doe at 230yds. She was happy as could be.

DSC_3150.jpg

Weather MKV 7 RM

DSC_0345-1.jpg

Weighs 12LBS. (way to much for packing)
We hunt in wide open spaces and sit and glass most of the day, so it works.

Heres a light one. Havent hunted with a rifle since I was 21 so that makes 18 years now. Opening day this year will be a Sako in 6ppc w/ burris glass.
683289_pis1-1.jpg

30, what's barrel lenght of 338 rum?? Very nice rifle! awesome!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad Arnett</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice looking rig Brad ! </div></div>

A lightweight 243 with a fixed 6x42.....it's just a no fluff rig that even a woman can get the job done with. LOL. I took her out last night and she whacked this doe at 230yds. She was happy as could be.

DSC_3150.jpg
</div></div>

Thats a great pic! With her look it's kind of like you caught two "deer in the headlights"...
smile.gif

257Weatherby001jpg.jpg

257Weatherby003jpg.jpg

.257 Weatherby
Brux Barrel
LSS Stock
Pretty dang heavy

Shoots 80gr TTSXs @ 3700 like this:

80grTTSXIMR-782871grWLRMWinBrass-1.jpg

80grTTSXIMR-782871grWLRMWinBrass313.jpg

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SAS_Sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">30, what's barrel lenght of 338 rum?? Very nice rifle! awesome!</div></div>

Lilja 26", ROT 1:10, #4.5 taper

Hill Country Rifles built, Superior Ammunition did the 275 gr. SWAF @ 2825 fps

sadly, still unemployed since earning my bachelor's in may.. so no money to buy the rem 700 i wanted for this years deer season... so i'll be rockin out my 30-30.. i'll post a pic whenever i can get my camera. The areas i hunt give me 300-500 yard ranges, but the 30-30 only goes out to 200... next year i'll be ready...

my308s002.jpg

Here's one of my favorites. It's a bit heavy for hunting in the mountains but almost all of my deer hunting here is in the breaks with not too much vertical involved.

It is: .308, Surgeon 591, Mcmillan Remington hunter stock, Bartlein #6 1-11" 5R, 3-12 S&BPMII, single turn, w/o lit retical, Near alloy low 34mm rings, Jewell trigger, Badger bottom metal, OD cerro. Put together by Eric Reid when he worked for GA Precision. This rifle has taken, elk, mule deer and antelope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad Arnett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm done packing heavy rifles in the woods. I'll hunt with a couple this year...but mainly this one. Rem 700 Mtn Rifle contoured 243 in a Ti Stock, with fixed 6x42 in Talley LW's. A McMillan Mtn. Rifle stock is on order and should be here in another month or so. The McM will add a little weight....but not much.

DSC_1218.jpg
</div></div>

Dropped it in the Mickey Mountain Rifle handle. It now goes about 6.8#'s minus a sling/ammo.

I think I'm gonna pick up one of Pats Montana slings to try out.

DSC_3223.jpg

Depends on the Range and Season. The ole smoke pole for Muzzleloader season if they are under 500 yards.

2vtnxa8.jpg

The Browning 325 WSM for up to 600 yds on the Whitetail or Muleys...Which I'm selling this year to fund other projects.

2eowfue.jpg

And for anything in spotting scope range...The 300 RUM

2j2tgma.jpg

Drew Mulie tags in NM

Centershot Rifle assembled, 24" #5 Brux 1-8, Trued lapped Rem 700 SA, Duracoated by me. 260 Rem for mulies and local deer hunting. 10# no ammo. Putting a raised cheek piece, not getting a good cheek weld.

SuperSeal110,

Is that a wood stock, if not whats the mix and colors on that. It almost looks like it's on fire. Very cool!.

El Gordo - Nice Kimber! Looks great and in a very useful cartridge. Nice...

Last few mulies I've taken have all been with a plain-Jane .25-06 Rem 700. Used a 4.5-14x for a while, but the past couple of years it's had a simple 6x Leupold in place. Simple, deadly. Running either a 115 Berger VLD at 3200 fps or a 100 gr Barnes TSX at 3340 fps.
1e1841e8.jpg

WyobuckZ.jpg

mulie05A-1.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

Not trophy bucks, just normal size mule deer bucks, taken year after year with this simple, inexpensive, accurate rifle. I like it. It treats me well.

Regards, Guy

I will be using my new LTR 308, Jewell trigger, Kahles CL 3-10x50 with multizero. 5 shots covered with a dime on my 3rd load test.
I like it!

coker_ltr_right.jpg

coker_ltr_left.jpg

Also will use my 6.8 for stalk hunting (and primary for pigs)
AR15Performance 16" recon upper
Troy Extreme rail
Gieselle trigger
Accupoint 1-4 with german #4 and ill green ret
Barnes TTSX 110s

reconcoker.jpg

I don't have the bipod on for hunting.. just makes pics much easier!

Nice rigs ccoker,

how do you rate the Accupoint 1-4 with german #4 and ill green ret? I'm looking into one of these but I can't decide whether to go with the german/dot ret or the Green Triangle Reticle.

Is the green dot clearly visible?

Thanks
Rath

I like it, I have had a few ACOGs with the chevron reticle and a 3-9 accupoint
I can see it fine, but I would say that while I prefer the dot for a hunting gun, I would think the bigger chevron would be my choice if my life were on the line...
I am not LE, was former military but was a tech geek...
so, take my recommendation accordingly

Thanks for the response, I'm thinking of it for hunting purposes but I had read that the dot is not visible in certain lighting conditions so I was undecided. I think I will opt for the same scope you have.

Cheers,
Rath

I can see where it may be not "ultra" visible in certain conditions, but you still have bold black reticle

I haven't personally ran into an issue, it's perfect for low light and at night I use lights (white, red and amber in different setups)

Killed two deer in less than a minute, and another the next day, with mine last year. One at 15m. One at 57m. Last one at all of 21m. With a Marlin Guide gun in .45-70. Used 405gr. Core-Lokt ammo. No pic of the rifle, would not want to sully this site with a stubby lever gun(albeit one with a fat barrel), or the straight-cased ammo without a pointy end. I love the load. Kills em DRT and you can eat right up to the hole. It's all about fieldcraft, boys.
grin.gif

908844441_ok4wa-M.jpg

.300WM....Guessing it weighs in at about 13-14lbs fully loaded.....Has accounted for one buck so far this season...

Here is mine..nothing fancy, plain jane 30-06 browning A bolt II..stainless, walnut stock...Nikon prostaff 3x9x40...driving handloaded 150gr ct ballistic silvertips...neck shot, BFD...
Dons8-point2009web.jpg

Stiller .300wm. Not much of a packing rifle at 11# but I absolutly love it.

I am having my buddy build me a 6# 6.5x47 for next year though!

IMG_0338.jpg

I could not even guess how many deer/elk/antelope this .308 has taken. Over 30 by me alone, Granpa fed a large family with this rifle for a few years too
002.jpg

sweet rifle there buddy,it shoots very well.ah just jokin i did notice a feding issue with it that chuck fixed with a minor adjustment of the mag.it is a very good looking gun.hope your girlfriend liked the 6.5 as much as my wife did.her 243 will be converted to 6.5 for next season also.very nice schtick.