• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 2010 Bull Elk

jrpilot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
We glassed this bull up on Trurs. night about 1.5 miles south of us. We watched him rut hard until the sun went down. In the morning we decided to go after him, and we were going to close the distance in the dark so they wouldnt see us. As we walked in we could hear them rutting hard right in front of us. It couldnt have been much more than 100yrds from us. They were just screaming like crazy. We could hear them walking. We decided we better get away from them so we went up on top of a hill to get a better view of the area. We glassed them up before sun came up. You could barley see them but you could see them good enough to tell it was the bull we wanted. I started to range them and the area, while steven was getting ready to take the shot. We got all set up and the bull stopped broad side. Range it. 682yrds., Dial it. 1 MOA windage to the right for about a 2-4mph from the right at 2 oclock. REM700 300WM 208 AMAX @ 2955fps. Elk went no more than 50yrds after the shot.

DSC03455.jpg

DSC03552.jpg

Re: 2010 Bull Elk

Sounds like an exciting hunt...congratulations on the good shooting and nice bull!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joel.B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a long shot. You couldn't get any closer? </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">+1</span>

Outstanding!

What difference does it make if he could get any closer?

Perfectly executed, clean one shot kill by someone who has the skill to make it happen....Kudos to you my friend!!

nice! what did the outfitter or your buddy say when you decided to take a nearly 700yd shot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Outstanding!

Perfectly executed, clean one shot kill by someone who has the skill to make it happen....Kudos to you my friend!! </div></div>

I like to get close. Maximize the chance of a one shot clean kill. I like to shoot steel at long distances. Critters get the respect of not-so-long distances. Just how I do it. Not trying to convince anyone that they are doing it wrong.

Nobody ever posts the pics of the one they gutshot at 800 yds, or the one they left with three legs.

Thats why I ask.

Not everybody is capable of such a shot, and when those that are capable make it sound so easy, I worry about "SNiper92" or the likes thinking that because he has a 300win mag, he can shoot elk at 700 too.

If we left the thread to everybody hi-fiving the guy for his awesome shot on an awesome bull, might send the wrong message to those that lack the judgment and skill that the OP has.

I think animals of such magnitude deserve such consideration.

Great shot and good job guys ! way to go !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joel.B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nobody ever posts the pics of the one they gutshot at 800 yds, or the one they left with three legs.

Thats why I ask.

Not everybody is capable of such a shot, and when those that are capable make it sound so easy, I worry about "SNiper92" or the likes thinking that because he has a 300win mag, he can shoot elk at 700 too.

If we left the thread to everybody hi-fiving the guy for his awesome shot on an awesome bull, might send the wrong message to those that lack the judgment and skill that the OP has.

I think animals of such magnitude deserve such consideration.

</div></div>

Then why don't you say...

"I couldn't make a shot like that, but good job on your shot ! You must have more skills and time at the range than I do! "

no need to bash him or question what he does. He evidently knows his platform and its capabilities.

Outstanding elk and great shooting! Congratulations to you! Don't let the haters take anything away from you. You did good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smboudreaux</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice! what did the outfitter or your buddy say when you decided to take a nearly 700yd shot? </div></div>

This was not a guided hunt. It was my brother and I. We shoot out to 1000yrds all the time. We had our limit set at 880yrds. We are very confident out to that range under good conditions. IE- wind. We actually couldnt get any closer if we wanted to due to the country we were hunting. If we got off the rock croping we were on, you couldnt see 75yrds. This shooting spot was selected for a reason, and we have no problem taking this shot. <span style="font-weight: bold">If you cant take a shot like this by all means dont.</span> You have to know your limits in what ever you do in life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Outstanding elk and great shooting! Congratulations to you! Don't let the haters take anything away from you. You did good. </div></div>

Doesnt bother me at all. I would take a shot like this under good conditions any day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Then why don't you say...

"I couldn't make a shot like that, but good job on your shot ! You must have more skills and time at the range than I do! "

no need to bash him or question what he does. He evidently knows his platform and its capabilities. </div></div>

Very well put...envy is a funny thing, makes people want to down others.

Kudo's to you jrpilot for the work it takes to do what you did.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Outstanding!

Perfectly executed, clean one shot kill by someone who has the skill to make it happen....Kudos to you my friend!! </div></div>

+1 Very nice! nothing makes better memories than a plan well executed.

I am not bashing or hating anybody here. Like I said, He made an awesome shot on an awesome bull. Could I do it? Ive never shot at anything that far in my life, so probably not. I don't even have a gun/optics that will be any good at that range.

I just think the discussion needs to include what is required and who should/shouldn't be trying these shots. Discussing what the penalty for error is would be good too.

Quote:

Ive never shot at anything that far in my life, so probably not. I don't even have a gun/optics that will be any good at that range.

That explains it all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrpilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Ive never shot at anything that far in my life, so probably not. I don't even have a gun/optics that will be any good at that range.

That explains it all. </div></div>

Well said, you put that one to bed.

Nice bull! Man that got the juices flowing. I am heading to Meeker, CO on Nov. 6 to look for his brother and sister.

Nice shooting.

"That explains it all."

Yep. I am no sniper, thats for sure.

Ive killed many tons of food for my family over the years. Been paid a few dollars to put people on some nice bulls on my families land. Seen some "bigshooters" make a mess of some nice animals at distances well within 700 yds.

I know very few people are qualified to make the shot OP did, I hope some of our younger/dumber readers take this into consideration before trying it themselves.

OP did nothing wrong at all, he made a great shot on a great elk. No doubt about it. But lets keep it real, for the animals sake. If you don't have the trigger time OP has, the bond with your gear like he does, please don't try this shit at home. As good as OP is, you all do realize that crazy rutting bull could have jumped the shot, turned clean kill shot into a gut shot with a tiny twitch of his muscles. Shooter has no control over that, farther the shot, easier it is for living-breathing target to muck it up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrpilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...... You have to know your limits in what ever you do in life. </div></div>

Perfectly stated. Great bull, great shot, congrats!

But lets keep it real, for the animals sake. If you don't have the trigger time OP has, the bond with your gear like he does, please don't try this shit at home.

BIG +1

I have to chuckle everytime the haters show up in someone's LR hunt thread. (... and you guys can call it whatever you want, when you show up with the sole comment of "you couldn't get any closer?" and then spew the gut shot / three legged wounded critters routine, that's hating. Start your own thread if you want to debate the ethics of LR hunting...)

Distance alone makes no difference in the ethics of a shot in my opinion. It's either a high percentage shot or it's not. One has to be honest with themselves when making that assessment. I'd be very willing to bet that a good number of the LR hunting haters have no problem taking a shot at a running deer at 50 yards. That's not a high percentage shot, and many more animals have undoubtedly been wounded by Fudd making a shitty close range shot than wannabe snipers trying long range shots (I don't condone either mind you). Distance is but one factor to consider when evaluating a shot.

One who has no experience shooting that far probably shouldn't comment at all. With decent equipment shooting at distance isn't the magic act some think it to be, especially with little wind.

Nice bull jrpilot!
grin.gif

"As good as OP is, you all do realize that crazy rutting bull could have jumped the shot, turned clean kill shot into a gut shot with a tiny twitch of his muscles. Shooter has no control over that, farther the shot, easier it is for living-breathing target to muck it up." said Joel B.

I do hope you arent trying to say the elk could have heard the shot and jumped cause that bullet got there WELL before the sound of the shot did!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"As good as OP is, you all do realize that crazy rutting bull could have jumped the shot, turned clean kill shot into a gut shot with a tiny twitch of his muscles. Shooter has no control over that, farther the shot, easier it is for living-breathing target to muck it up." said Joel B.

I do hope you arent trying to say the elk could have heard the shot and jumped cause that bullet got there WELL before the sound of the shot did!
</div></div>

No, I am not real smart, but slightly smarter than that.

At 700yds, a twitchy bull all hopped up on the poon can easily buck in one direction or another in the time between the trigger squeeze and bullet arrival. Shooter does his part, animal may not comply.

Well aware 300win mag is super-duper sonic

Hey that's awesome man, a proper long range hunter - we don't see enough of it!

Congrats!
cool.gif

I say those with negative opinions should shut it. This is a long range forum - WTF do you expect to see??? And why try to take anything away from this great hunt?!

I have shot dozens of animals past 600m, out as far as 1000m. Never once has the animal moved (far enough) to cause a miss-hit while the bullet's on-route. You just have to pick your moment, they spend a lot of time standing still...
It's about good judgement, not good luck.

Sorry for the rant.
frown.gif

Nice Bull and a good shot! You knew your equipment and was confident in your abilities. You know I had a real smartass reply to Joel B, but anyone who lists their occupation as a homemaker, well, thats enough!

Great elk and and awesome shot.
I know some guys who can't hit a whitetail at 200 yards.
It's not about the distance. It's about the abilities of the shooter and his equipment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308skinner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice bull! what did he weigh in at? </div></div>

Umm... HEAVY!
laugh.gif

Congrats man!

It's said many times above, but great shooting and obviously great practicing to get there.

For anyone that thinks posts like this add to young/dumb hunters taking long shots and making inhumane hits, gut shots, etc. I think your time is better spent emailing scope manufacturers that are making scopes with ballistic reticles, dial your yardage knobs and all the other BS that doesn't work. Giving a fool a rifle and then telling him that the crosshairs equal 200, 300, 400 and 500 yards for "most 308 calibers" is what is stupid and wrong. Lots of difference from a 308 to a 300 Weatherby, sea level to 8,000 feet and don't get me started about wind.

Sorry to get sidetracked, congrats again to the OP!

Ok, I will say that...
Congrats, that is a great bull, Please tell me you are getting that beast mounted. I Would like to se pictures of the mount when it is done.