• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2011 mags in 3.25” ESSTAC pouches?

FatBoy

After 20 years, going anonymous..
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2001
TN
I run ESSTAC 3.25” double pouches on my kit for the limited competitions that I attend. They work flawlessly with Glock 17 mags, but I’m thinking of trying a DS 1911 next year., at least starting to ring it out late this year to see if it’s worth the trouble.

On to the question(s):

Is anyone using the 3.25” pouches with the 2011 inserts? If so, do you do run and guns? My concern is the 20 rounder sticks out so far that running and crawling, etc. is going to pull them out. I’d rather not buy $75 of mag pouches if I can get $16 of inserts to make this work, but I sure as shit don’t want to lose $50-$90 mags either. I’m not sure if the Prodigy will be what I use next year or not, as we are routinely submerging the pistol going through creeks/ swamps , etc. and I suspect this is not going to be as reliable as my Glocks, but damn this thing points and shoot nice and I at least owe it a fair shake in testing.

I know I could add bungee retention, but I’d prefer not to if at all possible. Any feedback on this, or something else you’re using is appreciated.

Nobody here competing with a Double stack 9mm 1911 or you all just smart enough to not use them in a run and gun?

I run G Code Scorpions. I use the tall size so my stuff doesn’t fall out. You can lace them to be tighter or looser depending on your model of mag, 9 or 40 etc... have shot many 3g matches with them, and a couple PRS/dmr matches that required pistol, and never had a problem loosing a mag. It’s NOT what I run on my uspsa rig, but that is a different game. Check them out. I’ll bet that you are pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: FatBoy
I run G Code Scorpions. I use the tall size so my stuff doesn’t fall out. You can lace them to be tighter or looser depending on your model of mag, 9 or 40 etc... have shot many 3g matches with them, and a couple PRS/dmr matches that required pistol, and never had a problem loosing a mag. It’s NOT what I run on my uspsa rig, but that is a different game. Check them out. I’ll bet that you are pleasantly surprised.

The pouch height is one of my main concerns. These 3.25” pouches lock the Glock 17 mags in fine but they are shorter, and much thicker up to the feel lips compared to the 2011 mags.

On the flat range 2/3 gun stuff I suspect (will test this next month) that they will be fine, but I have real concerns with run and gun matches due to the crawling, going over obstacles, being submerged, etc.

I’ll check the scorpions out. Thank you.

The Esstac inserts came in. Mags lock in right but they’re very tall compared to the 17 round G17 mags and dig into my ribs while moving. Going to have try something I can drop a little lower.

Good thing about the scorpions, you can stick whatever you want in them. Sometimes I run a glock 9 or 40, and sometimes I run an STI edge in 40. A .40 edge mag with a Dawson base pad on it is pretty heavy, but the scorpions hold it solid, and it comes right out when I need it.