• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 2011 Rifle buck

NRF

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2010
CORNHUSKER
rifle1.jpg

rifle2.jpg

Re: 2011 Rifle buck

wow. congrats, looks like you had a great hunting season

I believe I'd have let him walk so he could grow another year. ..... if you believe that then I have some cars to sell you.
Awesome!

Buck of a lifetime.

So was he in the middle of tearing up a tree, making a scrape, running a doe, just cruising by? Long shot, close up? What did you get him with?

If they get any bigger for you I need to borrow your horseshoe.

Congratulations

I can't see the spread but he sure looks like he'd net Boone and Crockett

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef_Supreme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe I'd have let him walk so he could grow another year. ..... if you believe that then I have some cars to sell you.
Awesome! </div></div>

Thank you guys! and I'll take the lime green pinto with wood grain please
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buck of a lifetime.

So was he in the middle of tearing up a tree, making a scrape, running a doe, just cruising by? Long shot, close up? What did you get him with?

If they get any bigger for you I need to borrow your horseshoe.

Congratulations

I can't see the spread but he sure looks like he'd net Boone and Crockett </div></div>

Redirt78 to answer your questions here you go. I saw him bedded with 2 does mid morning I tried to put on a stalk which didn't turn out worth a shit to say the least, there was a huge evergreen patch that they went into so I decided to stalk down the side I thought they would run out, about halfway down the line I second guessed myself so I got on my hands and knees and crawled through the evergreens ever so slowly. when I got to the otherside I didn't like what I saw so I crawled back through about when I got to the other side I heard them bust out of the side I just came from. At this point I'm saying FML!!!!!!!!!! He was gone for now, I reached down in my pocket and realized I lost my Leica 1600 somewhere in the F**king trees. after 3 hours looking still nothing I was sick to my stomach. I knew where the buck went so I set up on him over a half mile away and right before dark he and the doe came out and I made an easy 200 yard shot, he must've been making an ass out of some trees in there from morning till I got him thou.
Well 2 day later and about 15 hours of looking I finally found my range finder, then double celebrating began.

I shot him with my Lousiana Precision 7WSM 180 Berger's CCIBR2 at 3070FPS he didn't wiggle.
He grossed 180 1/8 but has numerous deductions which is BS I think. So his net was dropped to 165 7/8. I thought NET'S where for fishing
grin.gif

Awesome story to go with him, no doubt you will never forget one second of it. Glad you found the rangefinder also. I hear you about the NET and all I really ever cared about was green GROSS score, whatever it was when I shot him. I don't care for deductions either. Although it would be awesome to get into the book for NET typical Boone and Crockett there is no doubt about it, who cares about all that. Like I said, buck of a lifetime and good job. I know you were about to lose your mind deciding how to go after him once it didn't work out in the beginning.

I saw one of my best bucks (a lowly 140" 10pt haha)in the morning. He was trailing an estrous drag I had laid down from 350 yards and coming my way. He was running so hard and zig zagging, nose right to the drag scent that I could not get a shot. At around 150yds where I hung the drag he caught sight of some does and peeled off, I was already late for work. Went to work all day thinking about what happened. Got off work and was hauling ass to the woods, was pulled over by state patrol for doing 75 in a 45. After telling him why I was speeding he stalled me for a while and actually let me off with a warning. I made it to my stand just as the does started funneling by, somehow was not busted. The sun was already setting, there was a young buck already messing with the does by the time I got set up. I rattled and snort wheezed and instantly heard limbs snapping. The 10 pt I had seen that morning came crashing into the opening, lowered his head to the young buck with his hair on end and started walking at him sideways. He stopped at 100 yds in the ONLY opening I had to shoot, about the size of a basketball. All I could see was his shoulder, dropped him right there with a 140 grain Nosler ballistic tip out of the 7mm08. It was my best buck to date and I was pumped up. I will never forget it as I'm sure you will not yours (which is f'ing huge).

Good results from a hunt are always nice but its always better with a good story behind it.

Yes you guys should really let your bucks mature!!!

Really though what an outstanding buck!! My best net buck is 155, so I'd be proud to have him!! I know you are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome story to go with him, no doubt you will never forget one second of it. Glad you found the rangefinder also. I hear you about the NET and all I really ever cared about was green GROSS score, whatever it was when I shot him. I don't care for deductions either. Although it would be awesome to get into the book for NET typical Boone and Crockett there is no doubt about it, who cares about all that. Like I said, buck of a lifetime and good job. I know you were about to lose your mind deciding how to go after him once it didn't work out in the beginning.

I saw one of my best bucks (a lowly 140" 10pt haha)in the morning. He was trailing an estrous drag I had laid down from 350 yards and coming my way. He was running so hard and zig zagging, nose right to the drag scent that I could not get a shot. At around 150yds where I hung the drag he caught sight of some does and peeled off, I was already late for work. Went to work all day thinking about what happened. Got off work and was hauling ass to the woods, was pulled over by state patrol for doing 75 in a 45. After telling him why I was speeding he stalled me for a while and actually let me off with a warning. I made it to my stand just as the does started funneling by, somehow was not busted. The sun was already setting, there was a young buck already messing with the does by the time I got set up. I rattled and snort wheezed and instantly heard limbs snapping. The 10 pt I had seen that morning came crashing into the opening, lowered his head to the young buck with his hair on end and started walking at him sideways. He stopped at 100 yds in the ONLY opening I had to shoot, about the size of a basketball. All I could see was his shoulder, dropped him right there with a 140 grain Nosler ballistic tip out of the 7mm08. It was my best buck to date and I was pumped up. I will never forget it as I'm sure you will not yours (which is f'ing huge).

Good results from a hunt are always nice but its always better with a good story behind it. </div></div>

That is a great story my friend thanks for sharing please post pics if you havent we would all like to see. Thanks for your great words and congrats for you.

As always shoot straight,
Neil

Love both of those stories, I would be sending that cop a special gift for letting you go. he could of really put some uglyness to a great day. that deer is an absoulte stud! congrats both of you...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NRF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a great story my friend thanks for sharing please post pics if you havent we would all like to see. Thanks for your great words and congrats for you.

As always shoot straight,
Neil </div></div>

Here is the one from the story.

05Buck.jpg

Got him in 2005 on Nov 20th. 5:50pm. Aged at 4yrs, 196 lbs.

Got this one two seasons ago right at dark. Story is not as good but I was very happy with him.

Big8-1.jpg

First pic from my cell phone right after I walked up on him

09Buck.jpg

09Buck2-1.jpg

Aged at 5yrs 200 pounds

Saw him at over 500 yards, could not get a shot. He disappeared and I thought I might not see him again. Luckily I had a group of does near me. I think he heard me calling as loud as I could (had the does freaked out too) and he popped back out, saw them and came running. Shot him at 80 yards with another 140 grain Nosler ballistic tip but this time out of the 7mmSTW.

Both green scored right on 140" gross, with the first being a ten and the second being an 8. Good bucks for my area, not the biggest though.

This one was taken right down the road from me a little over a week ago while running a doe

shooting15-1.jpg

Would like to run across one something like yours before my season is over. Just got a few days of solid rain on some wheat/oat plots I planted last week so that might help.

Post some more pics of yours. Just noticed the brow tines are both split. I'm a little jealous haha, yours is bigger.

NRF & Redirt78.....those are some great bucks!! NRF, looks like you had a great season to put in the books. Glad you found the rangefinder though.

Here's a buck I got back in Nov 2007. He's very special to me because I got him on the last hunt that my dad and I were together on before he passed away. The shot was only ~ 215yds with a .243WSSM so nothing amazing there. He's the 2nd biggest buck I've taken in my life. He broke off a small tine on his right side when I shot him. He was coming up out of a pretty deep creek bed. Just as he stepped up on the bank fully, I took the shot and hit him center chest between the front shoulders. He flipped/jumped over backward and fell back down into the creek bed. It was a rocky creek bed and his rack hit first and it broke the tine off. It was only about a 3" sticker, but I wasn't ever able to find it.
798057a2.jpg

Trevor that's a great buck, and one memory you will always cherish of great family time with your dad, sorry to hear that he passed away thou, the good die too young.

Thank you, It was a great experience I hope to be guiding soon on do it yourself hunts I'll keep you posted if this works out.

-NF

I would like to have more information about your rifle if you wouldn't mind.

thanks

Dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DZelenka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to have more information about your rifle if you wouldn't mind.

thanks

Dan </div></div>

Dan, this is what my rifle is:

DSCN0143.jpg

DSCN013624.jpg

DSCN014421.jpg

Based off a: Built buy Louisiana Precision Rifles
Stiller Action TAC 300
Krieger barrel #9 contour chambered in 7WSM
Badger bottom metal
McMillan stock 75%Black 25% silver
NF 12x42x56 NXS scope NPR1 ret.
Badger rings
Nf Pic rail
LOAD:
Win brass obviously
180 Berger HuntingVLD
CCIBR2 primers
67.6 Gr. RL25
-.030 off lands
8FPS S.D. at 3075FPS
YHM suppressor

That's what took him down.
-Neil

Congrats, great buck! What length were the g2's and g3s?

Looks like you've had an awesome season with your rifle and bow bucks.

Thank you,

G2's/ G3's respectively RS are:
11 3/8
11 2/8

G2's/ G3's respectively LS are:
11 6/8
10 4/8

It was a great year, a little better than last year!
My bow buck last year grossed 177 3/8
And rifle grossed low 150's with a drop tine

Neil,

Very nice rifle. I was curious because Roscoe just finished a rifle for me in 7mm SAUM. First class work. I am still in the process of developing loads, but from what I have seen thus far .5 MOA is a big group. As you can see, I went in a bit of a different direction from yours.

Remington 700 LA
Krieger 26" #5 contour; 1:9” twist; 5R rifled barrel
McMillan Remington Classic stock
Burris Zee rings and mounts
Leupold 6.5-20x50mm LRT with standard plex crosshair and M1 turrets
Jewell Trigger
Beartooth Products cheek piece
7mm SAUM caliber throated for 180 Berger VLD at 3.025" OAL
9 lbs 14 oz w/o bipod

Load:
Nosler 7mm SAUM brass, 180 Berger VLD, 210M primer, 66.0 gr Retumbo for 2950fps. OAL 3.040" (0.015" in lands)

P1010042A.jpg

That is a great looking gun, Roscoe builds some good ones.