• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2013 Competition Dynamics 24hr Sniper Challenge

Assuming this is a legit post, if 50lbs for 10 miles felt ok, do it 2 more times then post back and if you still feel ok, then you might be ready for the physical portion of the Challenge.

Oh yeah, and for the first 3 miles carry an additional 50lbs. sack of sand or something equivalent. Other than that hope to see you out there. Good Luck!

some people didn't make it 3 miles last year?? seriously? was it an injury? or were they really that unprepared?

some people didn't make it 3 miles last year?? seriously? was it an injury? or were they really that unprepared?

If memory serves, I read a blog that said there were teams that dropped out "within sight of the starting line". It was at the start and they were carrying the 100 pound duffle and couldn't hack it... I tried to find the blog again, but couldn't. I remember seeing some pics on CD's website of teams that looked less than physically fit....

Isn't the GPS reqd equipment? How else are you suppose to land navigate?

Yeah so I learned orienteering in the Boy Scouts but not land nav. How are we supposed to know where we are at night?

I know the CD gang well enough to know that this match is designed to test the physical AND mental limits of some of the worlds top competitors. Even the most well prepared will more than likely encounter surprises they didn't anticipate. As far as the actual shooting goes, you needed to know and test your equipment months, if not years before this event. Personally, I'm going volunteer as an RO this year (if I can find the time) and then shoot the Thunder Beast Team Challenge. Maybe next year I'll shoot it.... Maybe. You should look into the TBTC, it would be a way better first match for you and it's not until Oct, so you'd have the time needed to prepare and gather data on your equipment.... If you know what I mean.

Yeah so I learned orienteering in the Boy Scouts but not land nav. How are we supposed to know where we are at night?

A decent starting point is the Army Field Maual FM 3-25.26. Like most things, though, practice and actual experience is needed to really solidify your understanding.

He is just Trolling, if he can get three pages on the Forum he scores the 100 bonus points. If you post, you encourage the deception!

Ive got a XDm 9mm to use. I got a holster from Tactical Taylor that I was going to mount on either a leg rig or my pack belt. Im assuming that a "closed retention flap holster" according to the rules is a thumb break. Is a little ambiguous. My other option is to mount is on my chest rig, but Im not sure if that constitutes a cross draw configuration.

It hadn't even occurred to me to use this for the 100 points, I getting that thru my Facebook page.

Yeah. I misread that. I asked my team mate about it and he's told me to get a lensatic compass.

Has anyone figured out what food they will bring. Are MREs the way to go or just pack a lot of jerky and trail mix?

Hey I got all my stuff in today and got my rifle together. Check it out.

I plan on taking it out tomorrow to get her sighted in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 28
Hey I got all my stuff in today and got my rifle together. Check it out.

I plan on taking it out tomorrow to get her sighted in.

Good God man, you'll poke someone's eye out with a barrel that long, it's not a bench rest competition. Get a sawzall and cut that thing down to 18" in your garage before you step outside with it. :)

I'd go pick up a copy of "Sniper" the 2013 issue, a magazine put out by InterMedia Outdoors. They had a good article from last years 2012 competition that would offer you some helpful advice with gear selection and some insight in how to train for this. But in the short term, you need to already know the answers to the questions you asked for this level of event... especially this late in the game.

do this! you are a little behind the power curve to jump into that match. find a couple matches close to you and just go watch em man, this game is not a battle rifle/scout rifle game.

Hey guys I took the rifle out yesterday after work and that vortex rocks! Here's my final 4 at 100 yds and 300 yds

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 29
Hey guys I took the rifle out yesterday after work and that vortex rocks! Here's my final 4 at 100 yds and 300 yds

Good shooting rooster!

I must admit, I thought when you started this thread that you were just trolling... Keep it up and if you shoot the match I would be very interested in reading a after action report. What you learned, challenges encountered etc.

Keep it up and keep us posted!

6x47 Lapua, 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5 creedmoor, 260, 6xc, 6 super lsr and on and on. I would use a 6x47 or 6 creedmoor 1 7.5 twist and some 115 DTACS. You will have 6.5 284 ballistics with half the powder.

Cool video. My assumption is that there will be 6-8 teams that are there to "win" with the rest of us happy to have the opportunity to compete.

Any idea how many teams are sighed up? Particularly for the endurance class?

BTW, I'd hate to carry the rifle at 0:42 for 30-40 miles.... I've skinnied my pack way down and can't for the life of me get under 40 pounds full loadout. That's with a fairly light long gun. Ammo alone is 4.4 pounds!!!

The womans standard in the Army for rucksack march weight is like 35lbs plus water and weapon. If you're in the 40-50 lb ruck weight you should be making good time if you're in good rucking shape.

The womans standard in the Army for rucksack march weight is like 35lbs plus water and weapon. If you're in the 40-50 lb ruck weight you should be making good time if you're in good rucking shape.[/QUOTE}

For sure. My teammate an I recently participated in a 10K charity run and each of us had a 68-70 pound pack. We both finished in under 1:30:00... Hopefully with a 42-44 pound pack we can keep an quick pace.

That's a sweet video. I hope those guys are doing the sprint and not the endurance.

Weren't there like 40 teams total last year?

Dang, I was thinking that with the addition of the sprint class there would have been a shift with more teams signing up for it than the endurance class...

Six teams in the sprint class... I would think the shooting will be more significant (point wise) to a teams overall score than it will in the endurance class.

So since the last time my team mate and I met up to sight in his gun at his property. Took it out to just over 500 yrds. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Has anyone figured out what food they will bring. Are MREs the way to go or just pack a lot of jerky and trail mix?

MRE's are good, but they will dehydrate you.....bring canned food, you will be glad you did!

Seriously though, you can come out and have a good time, and the shooting (at least last year) had zero bearing on the outcome of the course. The top 2 teams were not even in the top 10 for points on shooting stages and the best shooting Team finished 15th place (didn't even get close to completing the event in it's entirety). Actually only 7 teams finished it without skipping huge sections (we were one of those teams). I am sure that the scoring will be cleaned up a lot this year, but the most important thing you can do is be used to sucking.....doesn't matter how good of shape you are in, you will be tested. 10-15 mile hikes will do very little unless you are doing them in the heat, cross country (no trails) with extra load. I did a 15 mile hike right before the event last year, and that didn't even hit me as hard as the st 5 miles of the actual event. It is a mental battle, that is what decides how you do.....not how fast you can shoot el prez or shoot 10" plate at a grand with your 6.5 ninja rifle.

I went hiking the other day and realized my asolos that I was going to use are probably going to be too hot for this. So I rushed a pair of Lowas. I debating on hot broken boots verses new Lowas that I may get 50 miles on.

I have Lowas and it only took 20-30 miles to break them in sufficiently as to not blister on 15 mile hikes. They have ~250 miles on them now and are almost as comfortable as tennis shoes.

I got the Lowas in and took them out this weekend. I put about 10 miles on them and the stitching is starting to fail. They still passed the water check but I would have expected better quality

Coincidence? I think not!!

Seriously though, send them back and get a new pair. If they're not broken in enough, put the Asolos you have in the duffel at the resupply area and wear those for the remainder.

Good luck.

So I fixed where the stitching failed, but based off this experience I don't think Im going to use them. Its like my mom always said, "Im not mad, Im just disappointed"

Attachments

• Lowas.jpg
    Lowas.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 23