• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2014 JP Rifles Mammoth Sniper Challenge

Wow! So quick to make assumptions. I can/have operated with or without all the gadgets. Not my first rodeo. Just finding out what to expect.

Anyone with an answer about using two .308 bolt guns vs. needing at least one .223?

Wow! So quick to make assumptions. I can/have operated with or without all the gadgets. Not my first rodeo. Just finding out what to expect.

Anyone with an answer about using two .308 bolt guns vs. needing at least one .223?
No assumption made at all

Last year teams used .308 as secondary weapon. I'm planning on using it this year. Nothing on the rule set leads me to believe otherwise. From the website; "Allowed weapons in the Tough Man Match will be .223 and .308 only."

No assumption made at all

Last year teams used .308 as secondary weapon. I'm planning on using it this year. Nothing on the rule set leads me to believe otherwise. From the website; "Allowed weapons in the Tough Man Match will be .223 and .308 only."

Agreed. It will not surprise me to see teams running 2 308 gas guns. I don't see anything in the rules that indicate it is a problem. In my book, if the rules don't spell it out, assume its good to go.

Anyone notice all the new sponsors on the website? Really looking like a good match to attend.

Mammoth Sniper Challenge at Rockcastle Shooting Center in Park City, KY on January 3-5 2014.
Event website is : Mammoth Sniper Challenge :: Home

cold with snow, wind, rain, shit, slop.

Ok, so the scariest environment imaginable. Thanks, that's all you gotta say. Scariest environment imaginable

Haha, sorry couldnt resist the Armageddon quote there, cheesy I know. Basically sounds just like home, wasnt sure if it stayed any warmer the little bit further south it is down there.

In the 20's last year at night. Saturday morning I rolled out of the sack to find more than a couple of guys huddled around the burn barrel that HADN'T slept due to the cold. A couple of those guy dropped. If you haven't tested your gear or yourself in subfreezing temps, you should consider doing so before rucking all your shit into the hills

My wife is hopping there is 2' of snow and subzero temps just so she can laugh.

What do you race? I race SCCA and NASA a decent amount, have crew-chief'ed in Grand-Am, and am now a Race Engineer in NASCAR.

I loved racing a Barber. The museum there is amazing.
Barber is an awesome track that I have always wanted to race (WERA, CCS #143).

Is it ok for both the primary and secondary shooters on the same team to use .308 bolt guns or does one have to be .308 and the other .223/5.56? Also, will there be provisions for charging electronic equipment (cell phones, etc...) or do we need to pack solar chargers or the like?

My understanding is that both can shoot a bolt 308. In years past people have done it. It is fine for both to be a 308. As far as charging phones, I took one of those small battery packs that is about the size of an iPhone. also, I would turn is off when you aren't using it and it will last longer

I'm not sure about the 33% attrition jcrist is talking about. we managed to finish 3rd with our charger.

My understanding is that both can shoot a bolt 308. In years past people have done it. It is fine for both to be a 308. As far as charging phones, I took one of those small battery packs that is about the size of an iPhone. also, I would turn is off when you aren't using it and it will last longer

I'm not sure about the 33% attrition jcrist is talking about. we managed to finish 3rd with our charger.

I had a Brunton charger for my phone. Never had to use it, it's amazing how little these things draw with the radios turned off.

Here is where I got the report on the attrition rate http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...s-mammoth-sniper-challenge-7.html#post2249650

i am wanting to shoot this match next year, alot of training and getting in to shape for the ETM. sounds like a blast.

Need a Spotting Partner for the Open Division at Mammoth.

I am looking for someone that wants to/ is going to shoot the Mammoth Match in Jan that is not partnered up with someone as a spotter. It is my understanding that this year each shooter will be scored as an individual, but we may shoot as a team to spot for each other.

I'll be shooting a 6.5 CM bolt gun in the Open Class, hopefully with a spotter. Please send me an email if you are interested.

If anyone is looking for or needs a team mate for the Tough or Extreme Categories, I'm really interested! I didn't sign up due to Army Flight School, but my schedule is open that weekend and I'm trying to find a way in. I'm an avid shooter and extreme challenge enthusiast. I've been through and taught several shooting and survival courses and will be an asset to your team.
- Kevin

Attn: all Mammoth Shooters

We will be putting the Match book on the match website for you to download in the next week or so. So keep an eye out and let your friends shooting the match know. I will put a link here and on the facebook page once it is ready.

Most extreme part of ETM? Having it right after Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners when everyone is the most out of shape.

No shit. I'm trying to fight it... 5 mile ruck last night was harder than it shoulda been

Stages look interesting Marcus. I'm sure they'll be fun! Thanks for posting up the match book.

Two quick questions. Will all divisions shoot 11 stages? I was thinking the tough man divisions might shoot fewer stages than the open division. I'm in the open division and am looking forward to shooting all of them! Also, will everyone use a provided range finder on stages 5 and 8 as in the past?

David,

Yeah, the stages are going to be really fun. You are correct, the tough man divisions will shoot less stages then the open divisions. Joe will let the two divisions know what stages they are shooting.
Yes, we will be providing swarovski range finds for both stages.

See you in a few.

David,

Yeah, the stages are going to be really fun. You are correct, the tough man divisions will shoot less stages then the open divisions. Joe will let the two divisions know what stages they are shooting.
Yes, we will be providing swarovski range finds for both stages.

See you in a few.

Thanks for the clarification! Really looking forward to it!

Is it too soon to start looking at the extended weather forecast???

Extended weather looks interesting LOL

Open will shoot 10 stages and the tough man will shoot 7. The stages were designed in mind so the shooter and his spotter will have to work together.

We are looking forward to all shooters coming and having a great time. The match was designed so the winner should hit approximately 75-80% of the targets.

Do we know round count on thought man yet? I don't recall it in match book. Also Joe, do we have enough shooters in the "Sorta tough" division or do I need to load for an open rifle?
Thanks,
T

Last edited:
Yes we have enough teams. The extreme and tough man are shooting the same stages. There will be no switching divisions at this point. Open is full and so is the tough man/extreme.

This sounds like a great event. If I lived closer I'd try to get some pictures / video although I would have a hard time keeping up with the extreme teams.