• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2014 JP Rifles Mammoth Sniper Challenge

Saw this on memegenerator tonight...
44592359.jpg

Wow, Horner and Payne do it again.
Extreme tough man and Match overall

I'd like to thank Joe Harris for putting this match together. Also thanks to all the RO's who spent hours and hours standing in the cold for us to shoot this weekend.

This was the first match I've ever been to, and I had absolutely a great time. I'll be back next year with a 308!

Big shout out and thanks to the sponsors, RO's, behind the scenes support, Rockcastle, and Joe for putting on the match. This was a really fun one and I'm already looking forward to next year's match.

Squad 6 is awesome! I must have had 10 offers to help me spot since my partner couldn't make it, and even though we weren't allowed to pair up, I really appreciated every single offer.

Hope everyone has safe travels home, especially our Canadian guys (I want a bag of milk if you guys come back next year)!

Great match. Joe and crew did a helluva job turning up the wick. Rucks were twice as tough as last year, from reports from buddies in the other ETM squads the pace was up too.
The stages were damned near perfect with the tweaks made from last year, I can't imagine them doing a better job. This will from now on be classified in my book as a CHALLENGE on par with Survival Trial and the like. 22+ miles through the muck and hills was physically challenging to a very high degree.
Full write up to follow, y'all keep your eyes peeled!

I don't have the scores but I can give you an idea on the ETM/TM.

All from memory here, but I think the winning score was like 207, 2nd was maybe 167, 10th was around 100.

But I'm sure someone will post the official scores soon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

The 2014 Mammoth Sniper Challenge was the best yet. Joe continues to refine the match each year, making it better and better each time. This one had (IMHO) just about the perfect blend of known and ukd targets as well as many fun and unique stage scenarios and shooting positions.

Special thanks to all the sponsors, particularly JP Enterprises, the signature match sponsor. Thanks also to the hard working RO's and match staff. Most of them looked more tired than the shooters Sunday afternoon. Matches like this are simply not possible without this type of volunteer help.

Wow, Horner and Payne do it again.
Extreme tough man and Match overall

The event actually consisted of two different matches, Tough Man and Open. TM was a team match and Open was an individual match. There was no "match overall" winner. Congrats to Tyler and Daniel on another TM win. Congrats to Dave Preston for winning the open division. Great shooting with you!

The extreme tough man division was indeed a tough match!

Joe and all the other staff did a great job of putting this together and deserve a big thanks! I am glad the weather held off until the match was over cold is one thing but wet and cold is just miserable!

Congrad's to my buddy Dave Preston for a #1 open finish. I hope to be back next year for this.

A big thanks to everyone involved in setting up and running this match. This was our 3rd Mammoth Sniper Challenge, and it was by far the best one yet. Thanks to Joe, all the ROs, Nick & Nate, John Paul, the many sponsors, and all the shooters who made this event awesome. Thanks to the shooters from squad 2 - you all are a great bunch to hang out with.

I'll be posting a very brief AAR on our FB page shortly and I may work on a longer version later in the week. I've also posted several pics there as well. Feel free to stop by and check them out. https://www.facebook.com/SwagShootingTeam

Dave Preston, I did not get the chance to meet you after the comp, but I wanted to congratulate you on the win in the open division. You and I went back and forth for three days. I truly enjoyed that tight of a competition. Congratulations

Seth Waggoner

PS- thanks to everyone that helped put the match on. We had a great time.

Seth,

Congrats to you on finishing 2nd, with a new gun and a spotter that was found on INeedASpotter.com

I enjoyed the match and the experience gained from shooting with you and the dueling brothers!

Dave

Dave...had a blast and enjoyed shooting with you. Well done Seth !!

To my spotter formerly known as "my brother"...."shut up and let me work !!!"

I plan on doing the tough man next year. I'm gonna be position 2. Any suggestions on the kinda of shots and what rifle/scope should be used.

Pretty sure this was the best match I have ever shot. ETM squad 2 was a great group of guys to hang around with, with even better ROs.

Thanks to all of you who helped make this match a success, I don't know what next year will bring but it will be hard to top this year. The physical challenge was much greater than last year and the stages were awesome.

Going to work yesterday may have been the most extreme challenge of the weekend, my lower body was reminding me just how tough the weekend was.

Dave...had a blast and enjoyed shooting with you. Well done Seth !!

To my spotter formerly known as "my brother"...."shut up and let me work !!!"

There's no doubt that Squad 6 had the most intra match entertainment, thanks to you and your spotter. Every stage was a new episode.

WOW! Everyone told us that we picked a great match to enter as our first and they were right. Joe, Marcus and all the ROs and Scorers put a lot of work into this and it showed - thank you. Squad 4 was awesome - we saw some great shooters, got a lot of help, learned a ton and met some great people - thanks guys! Scott and I were happy to finish in the top half of the Open Division at our first match ... especially considering that my goal was to NOT finish last with my bone stock top feed 700 5R .308.

We were proud to have BEST TARGETS as a sponsor. We hope whoever picked up those gongs and torsos off the prize tables puts them to good use between now and next year's event!

We'll definitely be back next year ... I'd go at it again this weekend if I could ...

I would like to thank all the shooters for making this another great Mammoth Sniper Challenge. I would also like to thank each and every one of our sponsors for another kick ass prize table. Please try and support our sponsors as best as you can with your business, without them our this match would not be possible.

I've posted all the match photo's taken over the weekend. If you have some that you would like posted please email them to me at [email protected]

Mammoth Sniper Challenge 2014 Photos by MammothSniperChallenge | Photobucket

See you all again next year.

Our team(ETM) used an AR-15 in .223 as a secondary platform and the primary used an AR-10 in .308. If we decide to do this again both shooters will use a .308.

I shot secondary with 5.56. Black Hills 77gr. All secondary targets were within reach.
My partner and I switched rifles when we switched roles so I could engage primary targets with his .308

Our team ran a 223 AR15 as secondary. Shot 75 gr Hornadys. Wind was tricky, but everything was within reach if you know your dope. Secondary shot 2 stages clean and only left 1 target on 3 others. If I had the option of this or a 308 AR10, it would be a toss up and really depend on the match. For ETM, I would probably run my 223 again just for the weight.

I ran a 20" 308 AR10 as secondary. I would not hesitate to run a 20" .223 next year. I would shoot 77s. Many of the shots were within 400 yds as secondary and the easy recoil and ability to spot for yourself would have been helpful. It also saves quite a bit of weight in rifle and ammo. If the hikes are as hard next year as they were this year it would be a welcome relief.

The problem with shooting a 223 in this match isn't that the targets are out of reach, a good 77gr SMK load will get you there no problem. The challenge is spotting your misses. A 30 caliber bullet leaves a much larger signature than a 223 which is important, especially on the UKD targets where first round hits are tough and you need to see how to correct.

Think about all those long shots in Thunder Valley, Red Barn and Golf Course where spotting your misses was so important. A 308 is a better bet for seeing splash and making a correcton. That said, I know humping a heavier rig around all weekend is a consideration and the 223 will save you a decent amount of weight both with the rifle and ammo. Like most things, this is a trade off.

Well like I said I'm gonna be position two and I'm gonna be running the following.

Seekins billet upper/lower
Seekins sp3r v2 rail
Magpul moe a2 stock and grip.
Douglas stainless 18" 556 mk12 1-7 twist
Aac break
Raptor charging handle
Young chrome bolt carrier
Geissle dmr trigger

Not sure what mount setup or scope I will run. Were open sites needed? Any scope suggestions for this match?

I've heard there has been a little talk of a spring/summer match at Mammoth this year...?

I believe they hold a match in July each year at Rockcastle, but it is the Kentucky Precision Rifle Challenge.

Joe was talking to a few of us on one stage during the match, rattlesnakes in the warmer weather may be part of the challenge?

No summer match, but keep an eye out for an small event every other month starting in March. I will post details in a week or so. It will be a good relaxed time for the weekend.

No summer match, but keep an eye out for an small event every other month starting in March. I will post details in a week or so. It will be a good relaxed time for the weekend.

I was going to continue the Monthly Rockcastle Shoot starting in March. If enough people were interested, I would start as early as next month. Is this the same thing you're talking about?

I was going to continue the Monthly Rockcastle Shoot starting in March. If enough people were interested, I would start as early as next month. Is this the same thing you're talking about?

Myself and a few others may be interested. We are from evansville indiana. What kind of match would it be. A precision rifle match.

Myself and a few others may be interested. We are from evansville indiana. What kind of match would it be. A precision rifle match.

Like BiolerUP said, just a meet for all of us to practice. You're welcome to come. Look out for a thread in the member linkup section.

This is not a match. It is a relaxed shoot for the weekend. They are not doing the monthly shoot anymore. I will be handling an every other month weekend shoot. It will be a Saturday and Sunday weekend of shooting with a class for anyone interested in Friday evening at the lodge. We will have very experienced shooters there to help on Saturday with anyone who needs help. Sunday we will set up 2 or 3 small stages to shoot for fun. Possibly a small prize for the winner.

We will have steel stacked from 300-1100 ranging from big to small targets.

All details will be out in the next week or so.

I sat down with Nate last week and we worked out some details. It will start in march. Everything will be posted next week. We are trying to have an organized fun weekend of shooting.

Very laid back where everyone can be relaxed, get the practice they need and also have some assistance from very experienced shooters. The small stages on Sunday is just for fun and no one has I shoot them. The range will still be open for normal shooting while the stages are being run.

We are putting together a fun time for people to shoot and have a chance to meet people without having the pressure of a match. We will have range officers controlling the line so everything runs smoothly. Myself and others will be there to help anyone out spotting and with any other help we may be of assistance at.

Sounds good to me. I'm going to reserve a Saturday in February if anyone is interested. We may want to stop spamming the tactical match forum with this thread and either move the discussion to the member link up forum or the local match forum.

There are a few of us from Central IL who were at the match and are interested in the weekend shoots.

This year was a fun match and a hell of an experience. Thanks to the hard working ROs and the sponsors that made it possible.
This was the most positive and fun match I've shot in some time. I highly recommend it to those trying to decide whether or not to try it next year.
Hopefully we can make some of the planned train ups.
Nick, Nate, put up some dart boards in the JJ meeting rooms for happy hour after practice, eh? (not the gay plastic ones please)
LOL

Evenin' Gents... when you say "everything posted"... where would this posting be? Would like to head over with the sons and shoot a few weekends. Sounds like a great time, and great event.

Much appreciated.

It will be posted next week. Check Rockcastle Shooting Centers web page, and one of our guys will be posting it in snipers hide also. If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me at [email protected]