• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2014 ROCKY MOUNTAIN STEEL QUEST - Match Announcement

Zak Smith

TBAC Guy
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
logo.png

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">COMPETITION DYNAMICS</span></span> presents the
<span style="font-weight: bold">2014 ROCKY MOUNTAIN STEEL QUEST</span>
April 12-13, 2014 at the Douglas WY

We are adding a new match for 2014! We are calling it the Rocky Mountain Steel Quest.

Its format will be identical to the Steel Safari but be located at our Douglas WY venue. This venue is comprised of two adjoining ranches with over 17,000 acres available (including a mountain). As many of you know the terrain there is much different than the terrain down at Blue Steel. We have longer distances available and there are more mountains, for a start.

It will be only two days, Saturday-Sunday, with check-in on Friday. This should make it more low-impact for those that have to travel, and Douglas is only about 225 miles from Denver instead of 375 (Logan). Lodging is available about 10 minutes away in Douglas.

There will be two divisions. We'll have the regular open rifle division just like Steel Safari. The second division, scored separately, will be for semi-automatic .223/5.56 caliber rifles ("carbines"). The details on carbine scoring are TBD at this time, but they will be able to use multiple rounds to engage targets. A pistol will be required for several stages, for both divisions.

The dates for RMSQ will be APRIL 12-13 (check-in on the 11th). The fee is not set yet but it will be cheaper than the SS, in part because it's a first-year match and in part because it's just a 2-day event.

Ever since we saw the Douglas properties we started talked about a "Winter Steel Safari." Consider this a test run of a match in a season other than summer. In April we could have weather in the 60's or it could be 30 with some snow. We consider that to be part of the adventure.

We are revamping the C-D web site for 2014 and it's not quite ready yet, but it will be up soon.

Registration will go live 1/5

Last edited:
Right in the middle of my work schedule but I'll see if I can make it happen, looks like it would be a blast.

I'm In for sure. That venue is pretty bad ass and that's coming from a guy that lives in the area.

Dates moved up one week to APRIL 12-13th.

This is to avoid Easter so people with family stuff going on don't have a conflict.

We would have a liked to go a little bit later in the spring but the next 5 weekends after that all have conflicts with either family-type holidays or other matches.

Snow would be awesome!! It's no coincidence we used "snow colors" on the RMSQ logo.

Also, Competition Dynamics has a totally new website! Check it out at WWW.COMPETITION-DYNAMICS.COM . The new site has the 2014 event dates, match descriptions, a match rating system for shooting and physical difficulty, individual match blogs, video integration, social media, and the ability to do "live" match Q&A. We now have direct links to our Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube accounts from the main homepage. Check out the Youtube link because we now have a bunch of event videos posted!

Last edited:
Fyi Zak, the links on the compdyn Twitter account dead end with a login requirement, not sure what's up there

Figure about 60-70 targets to engage per day, so 120-140 rounds for rifle division minimum.

For carbine division, multiply that by how many times you need to shoot to hit all the targets.

For pistol, 50 rounds will be fine if you do not miss.

Zak,

Definitely interested. I did not see any details on the pistol course of fire or format on the CD site. As I don't have anything aside from my .22 buck mark and .44 revolver what would I be getting myself into here?

Thanks!

Mark

Sorry about that. I am going to consolidate the rules so they are consistent from match to match. Over time they've developed a few little divergences.

Anyway, you can expect typical field/assault style pistol stages. Minimum caliber 9mm, must not exceed USPSA "Limited" specifications. Pistol will be a minor part of the match but it'll keep you honest.

I saw there were only 40 slots for Rocky Mountain. I'm very new to the precision rifle match thing. Do I have any business showing up shooting .308??

I don't want to take a slot when there's so few, and this may be a match for some of the high-speed super caliber guys.

It's first come first served. You'll have a great time, even with a 308.

I saw there were only 40 slots for Rocky Mountain. I'm very new to the precision rifle match thing. Do I have any business showing up shooting .308??

I don't want to take a slot when there's so few, and this may be a match for some of the high-speed super caliber guys.

Go and shoot it, you will have a good time and you will always learn something. I'm not a high speed guy, I just want to shoot, learn, and hopefully get smarter.

Go and shoot it, you will have a good time and you will always learn something. I'm not a high speed guy, I just want to shoot, learn, and hopefully get smarter.

Kewl. I snagged a spot. See y'all out there!

The RMSQ is filling up pretty fast. You guys must be as psyched as we are about the prospect of fun weather!

Hey Zak, any chance you guys might expand the number of shooters for the event or is it dead set at 40?

I'm guessing the round count will be close to 200 rifle but have no idea on the pistol count......is there an update somewhere that I'm missing? Also can we submit requests to shoot in close proximity to buddies for scheduling purposes?

CJW

Zak,

Is the sign-in area in same place as the '12/'13 Sniper's Hide Cups? Or up on those SHC Delta/Echo areas? Or somewhere else altogether?

Didn't see this info on the CD website or up on this thread, but I coulda' missed it....

I sent out an email with last minute instructions and the meeting place, etc, to everyone on the list. If you didn't get it, email me ASAP.

Check-in will be at the 440 Wagon Hound Road location. We will have a sight-in range there with KD targets out to "way out there" for shooting on Friday.

Pack your rain and snow gear....looks like real world fun to me!!
usu3ybyg.jpg

CJW

Saturdays weather...
8ajaqagu.jpg

py5ebugy.jpg

Sunday.....

6aqazu4u.jpg

u8atubup.jpg

What a great variation of shooting conditions..........Sunday was a test of equipment for sure!!

Great match guys and thanks for the great prize table......

CJW

Am I the only one who enjoyed Sunday more than Saturday? CD put on a great match, looking forward to next year!

Am I the only one who enjoyed Sunday more than Saturday? CD put on a great match, looking forward to next year!

No, I liked sunday better too!

As always, CD put on a great match, kept things running even with the mud and snow, and had amazing support from the industry!

Great match. Thanks to the land owners, sponsors, and match staff.

I commend the match staff and shooters for keeping this match running smoothly on Sunday (with white out conditions at times) when other matches may have thrown out the day...