• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2014 SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE - Announcement

Zak Smith

TBAC Guy
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
logo.png

COMPETITION DYNAMICS presents The
<span style="font-weight: bold">2014 SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE</span>
<span style="font-style: italic">5-7 SEPT 2014 at Douglas WY</span>

The 2014 Sniper Adventure Challenge is an adventure race involving land navigation, practical shooting with long-range rifle, carbine and pistols, fieldcraft, problem solving and other related tasks.

The Sniper Adventure Challenge, had its debut in 2012 and was very well received by active and non-active military, law enforcement, and citizens.

There will be some changes to the structure of the event but the spirit of the overall challenge will stay the same. A primary goal of these changes is to ensure that a majority of the teams get a chance to try all of the challenges/stages, but not decrease the "scale up" performance that the top team demonstrated in 2013.

There will be at least two divisions like last year.

We are revamping the C-D web site for 2014 and it's not quite ready yet, but it will be up soon.

Registration will go live 1/5

Last edited:
This site will be great for the SAC. It's 10 minutes from town. Plenty of possibilities for long and short-range shooting. Interesting geography. There is significant elevation gain, but also running water in the stream. Some rocky sections, some lush areas. One of the host landowners is a Unimog aficionado.

Ready to roll

Just registered for the event. We competed in the 2012 event (which was awesome) but skipped the 2013 event do to its location. I think you guys made a good choice choosing the location that you did this year over last years. The geography looks interesting and the relatively close location to bigger cities is a plus. Also, I love that you are doing this in September. Although it will interfere with my elk hunt, the possibility of milder weather will be a plus. I'm having flashbacks to carrying 100 pounds of rocks down a freshly paved road for 3.5 miles...not my favorite memory!

Here are some suggestions that I have for the event this year (I emailed them to CD too, but I thought I'd throw them on here for discussion)

1) Eliminate the point deduction for skipping a mandatory check point. Instead, institute a rule that determines race placement (1st, second, third, etc) on who completes the most mandatory checkpoints. For example, if 10 teams out of 50 finish all mandatory checkpoints, then those teams automatically get 1st through 10th placement to be determined by points earned. A team that does all but one mandatory check point can at best place 11th. If you have a situation where nobody finishes the race, then the winner is determined by who finished most of the race. Afterall, this is a race and I have never heard of a racer being beaten by another team that didn't complete the race. This seemed to be a major contention over the last two years with teams skipping mandatory checkpoints and still being placed higher than those that did not. This simple rule change will eliminate the possiblility of a team skipping a checkpoint and placing higher than those that don't.

2) If at a stage there are multiple people waiting to do the challenge, those who have skipped previous checkpoints have to yield to those competitiors that have completed all mandatory checkpoints. This was a big issue in 2012 where teams skipped checkpoints but "arrived" first at some of the final stages and were given preference to those competitiors who did not skip. We had to wait 45 minutes at one of the final stages to allow skippers to go ahead of us. Again, this simple change will help speed things along for those who put the effort into completing the race.

3) Allow for an audit period before announcing winners. Let teams look at their final scores before announcing winners. In 2012, winners and prizes were given out before players knew their scores. We happened to find a mistake on our score card which would have had us jump a place, but it was too late to say anything so we didn't bother.

Aside from these suggestions, keep everything else the same. You guys run a great event. I can't wait for September!

Just registered for the event. We competed in the 2012 event (which was awesome) but skipped the 2013 event do to its location. I think you guys made a good choice choosing the location that you did this year over last years. The geography looks interesting and the relatively close location to bigger cities is a plus. Also, I love that you are doing this in September. Although it will interfere with my elk hunt, the possibility of milder weather will be a plus. I'm having flashbacks to carrying 100 pounds of rocks down a freshly paved road for 3.5 miles...not my favorite memory!

Here are some suggestions that I have for the event this year (I emailed them to CD too, but I thought I'd throw them on here for discussion)

1) Eliminate the point deduction for skipping a mandatory check point. Instead, institute a rule that determines race placement (1st, second, third, etc) on who completes the most mandatory checkpoints. For example, if 10 teams out of 50 finish all mandatory checkpoints, then those teams automatically get 1st through 10th placement to be determined by points earned. A team that does all but one mandatory check point can at best place 11th. If you have a situation where nobody finishes the race, then the winner is determined by who finished most of the race. Afterall, this is a race and I have never heard of a racer being beaten by another team that didn't complete the race. This seemed to be a major contention over the last two years with teams skipping mandatory checkpoints and still being placed higher than those that did not. This simple rule change will eliminate the possiblility of a team skipping a checkpoint and placing higher than those that don't.

2) If at a stage there are multiple people waiting to do the challenge, those who have skipped previous checkpoints have to yield to those competitiors that have completed all mandatory checkpoints. This was a big issue in 2012 where teams skipped checkpoints but "arrived" first at some of the final stages and were given preference to those competitiors who did not skip. We had to wait 45 minutes at one of the final stages to allow skippers to go ahead of us. Again, this simple change will help speed things along for those who put the effort into completing the race.

3) Allow for an audit period before announcing winners. Let teams look at their final scores before announcing winners. In 2012, winners and prizes were given out before players knew their scores. We happened to find a mistake on our score card which would have had us jump a place, but it was too late to say anything so we didn't bother.

Aside from these suggestions, keep everything else the same. You guys run a great event. I can't wait for September!

I couldn't tell from your quote, but I think it's important that you have to take the checkpoints in order. Cherrypicking skill checkpoints when you are fresh negates the effect of the effort/elements on physical motor skills and brain. Plus, managing a race where the checkpoints are taken out of order would be difficult. And agreed, if you skip a checkpoint, you can't finish ahead of teams that get all the checkpoints - Perhaps no time bonus unless you complete all the checkpoints?

Thank you for your input.

Afterall, this is a race and I have never heard of a racer being beaten by another team that didn't complete the race. This seemed to be a major contention over the last two years with teams skipping mandatory checkpoints and still being placed higher than those that did not.
You appear to be running on a few inaccurate assumptions or conclusions.

The event is won by earning the most points and incurring the least deductions. The method by which points were awarded and deducted was detailed in the team handout. Some teams made choices that caused them to incur a lot of penalties. Those were bad choices if a team wanted to place highly. If this is a problem I'd suggest having at least one person on the team who is good at reading for comprehension and math problems.

That said, each year we learn some new things about how things may play out and the next year we aim to make changes that keep the event in the spirit it was intended. For example, in 2014 we intend to set a route and structure such that teams who may not be able to make all the land nav points still have an opportunity to shoot more stages and/or attempt more challenges.

This looks like an amazing shooting match... One thing i'm not sure on based off the post by Elk. Is it required to hit all checkpoints in order to win or is it based purely on a points system where you can decide whats important and can skip points/targets/tasks to make up time.

At each event, upon check-in, the teams are issued an information packet that details the specific scoring points, penalties, route, special information, procedures, etc. These change match to match.

In general, and much like IPSC/USPSA, etc, all penalties that do not involve a violation of basic safety rules just incur a scoring penalty of some type. Safety rule violations would be an immediate DQ.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm use to the matches that focus pretty much only on marksmanship. For those who haven't done land nav in damn near a decade would this be a waste of time or do you need just basic skills?

If you brush up on your land nav, you will have a good time. But it's more than shooting and nav - The first year had a tyrolean, physical challenges, low crawl with equipment, signaling, etc.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm use to the matches that focus pretty much only on marksmanship. For those who haven't done land nav in damn near a decade would this be a waste of time or do you need just basic skills?

Land navigation and physical preparedness have been the deciding factors the past 2 years. The shooting is something to make it fun and in theory could break some close ties. But if you ask anyone that has done it, positions are gained and lost in the foot movements.

The event is won by earning the most points and incurring the least deductions. The method by which points were awarded and deducted was detailed in the team handout. Some teams made choices that caused them to incur a lot of penalties. Those were bad choices if a team wanted to place highly. If this is a problem I'd suggest having at least one person on the team who is good at reading for comprehension and math problems.

^^^ This, Hahaha. I can't stop laughing.^^^

Big news for the Competition Dynamics and Magpul Communities!

Magpul Dynamics’ Director of Operations Cody Carroll will assist CD this year with the course design and layout for the 2014
Sniper Adventure Challenge. Competition Dynamics, based in Fort
Collins, Colorado, promotes extreme world-class long-range and practical
shooting competitions and adventure races in the Western United States. The Sniper Adventure Challenge, which debuted in 2012, is a 24-40 hour
adventure race in which teams of two solve land navigation problems without
the aid of GPS to cover a route of 25-50 miles while completing
mental, physical, and marksmanship challenges throughout the event. In addition to helping with the course design, Magpul Dynamics will also pre-run the course in its entirety with two seasoned teams one week prior to the event to allow for minor changes. You can also expect to see plenty of loot on the table from Magpul if you make it to the end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't mean to clutter up the announcement thread. If I need to start a new thread just let me know.

Planning to do the race this year and have a couple questions for the veterans who've done it in years past:

1. For those who didn't utilize a Gunslinger-style pack, how did you carry your rifle? Were you happy with how you carried it? Anything you would have done differently?
2. For those who carried their side arm in a drop-leg holster, how bad was the chafing? Did you feel there were any advantages or disadvantages to carrying in a drop-leg holster vs. a holster attached to your pack?

Thanks.

Yes, with some limitations. Why not RO a challenge if you'll be out here?

Problem is i cant committ to anything because of my work schedule. I dont want to committ to something i cant guarantee. But if it works out and you need the help, id be honored to assist.

"Application Received - Reviewed - Slot Granted - Pending Payment" Can't wait for September!

Deliberate Dynamics will be doing a prep course for the 24-hour sniper challenge in August. It will be around 6 Aug in Utah at Sniper Country. The terrain and altitude are similar to where it will be this year and instructors will be guys that have done it the past 2 years in a row. PM me if you are interested. We will also answer questions you have over PM, no issues. The location this year should be really good and I believe this will be the best year to date in terms of the match.

It looks like all of the spot tracking on the CD website died. I was tracking all morning, then suddenly there is no longer any points displayed.

It looks like all of the spot tracking on the CD website died. I was tracking all morning, then suddenly there is no longer any points displayed.

It's up again now. We should not have the same problem with the system again.

Day 2

Surprise Foreign Weapons Task, including ID'ing the weapon, the cartridge, assembling it correctly, and placing it into operation on steel...

One team member catching some well deserved rack time during prep for shooting stage.

8541's laying down some 6.5 Grendel on steel at the end of Day 2 on one of the multi-gun stages.

Damn Smokey!!! You guys are BAD A**! And here I was feeling all proud of my armature accomplishment at GAP GRIND. Thank you for setting g a goal for me. Best of luck to everyone. See you in a year! Or 2

I was really impressed with the overall performances of the teams this year. Last year, there were a lot of folks who bit into something they soon realized they were nowhere near ready for chewing, and went down early. From a medical standpoint, we were working around the clock last year picking up teams, administering aid for a lot of hyponatremia, low blood sugar, and lack of nourishment for dudes that went down hard.

This year, the overall presentation from the teams was one of significantly more preparedness I would say. The guys that won are some of the most humble dudes I saw there, and did everything really well. They moved quickly throughout the course, tackled the challenges like champs, made their hits consistently, and were just great to watch. The other top teams were very close to that performance, within a few hundred point spread.

There were teams from last year that you could tell took a lot of lessons home, trained hard, came back, and really rose to higher levels of performance.

Last edited: