• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 2020 Co elk recommendations

A&8's

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • A few buddies and I have talked for the past couple years about doing a rifle elk hunt in Co., with OTC tags. (It'll be my 50th B-day present to myself). Trying to wade thru a sea of elk hunting stuff online has my head spinning. Any suggestions? We are not wanting a fully guided hunt (mainly because none of are rich). But, also don't want to spend a couple grand (in fuel, tags, etc.) just to wander around the mountains aimlessly. Drop in hunts may not be out of the question, providing it's not too expensive. Personally, I'm thinking about $2500-3000 max/each, which includes round trip fuel from Illinois, tags, food, etc. I know it can be done for just the price of tags + food. But, at 50, I'm not going to sleep under a shelter 1/2 and eat dirt for 5 days. We are supposed to have a 'meeting' about our trip tomorrow at my shop. I wanted something to bring to the table of discussion. We are thinking the Meeker area. That was by recommendation of one of the guys going. He went out a few years ago to Meeker area. However, was unsuccessful.

my first two elk hunts, last season and the one before were around meeker in first rifle season, both DIY on public land. first was west of meeker, se of rangely. second was east of meeker in and around flattops. both were unsuccessful. first year i saw two cow elk at first light first day and that was it. last year i saw absolutely nothing. did see lots of mule deer both years. i hotel'd it and that was tough. stayed in rifle the first time and had 1.5-2 hours driving each way each day to get up in hunting territory. stayed in meeker 2nd time and had 1+ hours drive each way. and then 1-2 hours to hike up in the mtns and same to get back out. they were longass days, up way before sunup and back way after sundown. if you have camper, RV or the like and can 'camp' close to where you're hunting, that will give you a lot more sleep and relax time. all i have is a small tent and didn't want to sleep and eat out of that for the ~two weeks of scouting and hunting.

drop camp may not be a bad idea. they get you back in there (farther than you can hike), prob via horse and provide camp and food. i think this alone though will eat up your $2500, before fuel, travel costs, tag, etc.

my first two elk hunts, last season and the one before were around meeker in first rifle season, both DIY on public land. first was west of meeker, se of rangely. second was east of meeker in and around flattops. both were unsuccessful. first year i saw two cow elk at first light first day and that was it. last year i saw absolutely nothing. did see lots of mule deer both years. i hotel'd it and that was tough. stayed in rifle the first time and had 1.5-2 hours driving each way each day to get up in hunting territory. stayed in meeker 2nd time and had 1+ hours drive each way. and then 1-2 hours to hike up in the mtns and same to get back out. they were longass days, up way before sunup and back way after sundown. if you have camper, RV or the like and can 'camp' close to where you're hunting, that will give you a lot more sleep and relax time. all i have is a small tent and didn't want to sleep and eat out of that for the ~two weeks of scouting and hunting.

drop camp may not be a bad idea. they get you back in there (farther than you can hike), prob via horse and provide camp and food. i think this alone though will eat up your $2500, before fuel, travel costs, tag, etc.

Sorry, I failed to mention in the OP, we intend on having a base camp. Then going out on day trips to hunt, having a small overnight tent in case we kill late in the day. Our intent is 6 guys total, 2 guys hunting together.

We're still 'arguing' over base camp accommodations. 1 guy, the guy who went a few years ago, wants to buy a wall tent with stove. However, I really don't want to split a $3500 wall tent for 1 use (he wants to keep it.) I would rather make a sleeping area in the bed of my truck (I have a tall topper) or just sleep in a 4 season tent. I just don't want to sleep under a shelter 1/2.

My dad and I are looking to go 2021. Dad has 27 points. I'll mostly be along to make sure he makes it as I don't have that many points.

Here is the page of information I have paid the most attention to. This will give you the most information about herds and populations. Also about tag counts and draw numbers even though you are not doing the draw.

https://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/Statistics-Elk.aspx

- Portion of Page with downloads -
    1579725791710.png

This will give you the most information about herds and populations. Also about tag counts and draw numbers even though you are not doing the draw.

Reactions: A&8's
    i'll caveat that the below is in relation to colorado rifle -

ive done a self guided deal on public land in CO. ive got friends whove done same, and then others who self guide but have been lucky enough to befriend people with private land. private land delivers year in and year out. public from out of state with no guide is real hit and miss.

with 6 guys on public your chances are up that someone will get something, and even not getting anything its great to be in colorado and no doubt would be a memorable time.

but me personally, to go back (which i want and intend to do) i'll put in the extra $ for private land or a guided outfit.

I’ve hunted Colorado on self guided hunts since 1994. I haven’t gone every year and I had a gap of about 7 years that I didn’t go at all.

That being said, I have been successful with both bow and gun for elk. It’s not easy going self guided because of the learning curve for the area you hunt.

I would recommend going with a good drop camp. I can’t stress enough to do your homework on the outfitter that you consider using. Get references and call them and ask them all about their experience.

I have been out hunting and came upon guys asking me just what I thought I was doing there. They felt pretty stupid after I explained that we were on national forest that was open to everyone.

They had been fooled by their guides into thinking they had the land all to themselves and there wouldn’t be any other hunters.

Good luck on your hunt!

• Haha
    Have you contacted the Colorado hunt planner ? 303-291-7526 a great place to start, just give them a call and explainwhat you want to do.Good luck

I've seen several ranches advertise on craigslist Colorado Western Slope sporting good section and for @$1500 per person you get access to there private land and stay in their cabin, most are in the Craig, Meeker area. Sounds like something like that might be what you're looking for.

I have been out hunting and came upon guys asking me just what I thought I was doing there. They felt pretty stupid after I explained that we were on national forest that was open to everyone.

They had been fooled by their guides into thinking they had the land all to themselves and there wouldn’t be any other hunters.
    We had this exact thing happen to us several years ago. One guy threatened to fight us for “cutting through their land”.