• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2022 Ram 2500 Power Wagon???

PatMiles

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017
My son is thinking of buying a 2022 Ram 2500 Power Wagon with a 6.4 Hemi and 8 speed trans. Anybody here have any experience with this truck... good or bad?

A friend just bought one. I "heard" it was $95K, and they "gave" him $20K for his 2013 Dakota as a trade in. So, I'd say they are way over priced to the point of having someone "get a great trade in deal" just to convince them to make the purchase.

I don't have anything against them; just that the price of all new vehicles right now is outFUCKINGrageous.

A friend just bought one. I "heard" it was $95K, and they "gave" him $20K for his 2013 Dakota as a trade in. So, I'd say they are way over priced to the point of having someone "get a great trade in deal" just to convince them to make the purchase.

I don't have anything against them; just that the price of all new vehicles right now is outFUCKINGrageous.
Yep, tell him to wait.

My idea of a power wagon is a 1974 with a big block.
So I could hit stuff
MV5BYjczOGYzZWMtZmFkNS00N2U1LWIyNGUtYjdhNDYwNDYwYTkxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjMyNjY2MTE@._V1_.jpg

My suggestion is to stay away from both the 5.7 and 6.4 Hemis. I owned a '17 Big Horn and at 35,000 miles had a lifter seize, wiping a cam lobe... this is a VERY common issue, along with warped manifolds.

I even made a short video to show the mechanic at my local Ram dealership. Here it is:

they're better than Ford, but that's a low bar.
No they're not...

We've had them all in the fleet. Ford interiors last the best, but they hit the scrap yard first with drivetrain issues.
Chrysler/ram will need random parts like wiring harnesses or transmissions on the regular while the cab rots into powder. All Cummins powered, so other than injectors we never had big bills on the engines. Had a few trucks go 200k on a trans, others would eat them every 30k.
Chevy will have the best drivetrain life, but it'll need regular alignments and the interior will break down between the Chrysler and Ford.

That might be shocking for some folks, since more people sit in them waiting for a tow truck.

I will say Ford can build a seat. Chevy and Dodge can't get over built that will support a 350lb man for 100k miles.

We have a guy that will crush seats. Anything other than a Ford and we're buying new drivers seats every 50k. He's 300lbs and has little tiny legs. Carries all his weight in his torso, which is silly big because he's 6'2" and wears a 28" inseam. Belly is dangerously close to rubbing the steering wheel also.

• Haha
Reactions: 96coal449

every truck or car out there is overpriced today. All the bs they put in is just that; bs that jumps the price up. I mean this, anyone buy a truck or the like for over 50k needs their head examined. Nothing is more akin to burning money than just that as that is all you are doing. It's a depreciating asset and the worst fools are those that lease! Leasing used to be good but now the gap has narrowed on cost and all you're doing is paying the depreciation for the bank. People need to go back to finance class. Buy something that much more affordable, own it and drive it for many years. Use the money for other things

Ram is more of a cool kid status thing. If he just needs a truck for work and play I would recommend a gm with 6.6 gas in a stripped down work truck. Crew cab 2500 x31 4x4 with decent equipment and a REAL key for about $57000 out the door.

My brother has one. Love’s the hell out of it, but he’s an off roader. It should be thought of as a wrangler or gladiator but much bigger, and thats it. Otherwise, buy a standard 3/4 ton 4x4 with your choice of engine. Stock suspension/chassis will clear a 37” tire. Front and rear Lockers and a disconnecting swaybar come stock, etc. The stock tires are aired to 60 lbs which makes the truck ride like crap. They do this so it will maneuver at speed despite very soft suspension. 37’s at normal pressures ride fantastic. Aired down to about 20lbs off road is a magic carpet ride.

I almost bought one but decided I didn't need the off-road capability, and bought a rebel instead. The 21’ PW I wanted was about $65k.

21967C4D-4589-43E7-9166-022BB7184C3C.jpeg

Run!
If your son is independently wealthy and has 70 or $80,000 of throwaway then....go for it.

Marketing and Monikers drive the price up on this one HUGE.... The boy can save $20k if he gets a 2500 Tradesman 4x4 with the Hemi. I would stay away from the 6.4L, everyone I know that purchased a truck with that engine had issues. The 5.7L Hemi is nearly bullet proof and if he gets a 4.10 rear, it will tow most trailers.

every truck or car out there is overpriced today. All the bs they put in is just that; bs that jumps the price up. I mean this, anyone buy a truck or the like for over 50k needs their head examined. Nothing is more akin to burning money than just that as that is all you are doing. It's a depreciating asset and the worst fools are those that lease! Leasing used to be good but now the gap has narrowed on cost and all you're doing is paying the depreciation for the bank. People need to go back to finance class. Buy something that much more affordable, own it and drive it for many years. Use the money for other things
We desperately need a market crash to reset prices back to normal.
Brand new is no longer depreciating given this strange market and time we're in. Just had a dealer here in Virginia offer me $4k over what I paid for my 2020 Chevy 2500HD when I took it in for maintenance. I was like yea that's cool...but do you have the same thing from 2022 in stock? Nope...no inventory, said things have been slow cause of the "chip shortage". I don't know that a market crash would fix it...i think we're headed to a mix of stagflation and social unrest.

Friend has a 2021 with 5.7L Hemi. His engine blew at 10,000 miles. The dealership installed another brand new 5.7L Hemi engine out of the crate and it blew too while still at the dealership, so he is on his third engine with only 10,000 miles on the truck.

Forgot to add. The tow truck operator that picked him up and towed the truck to the dealership told him that he has picked up 5 2021 Ram trucks in the past 8 months with blown engines.

I had a 2004 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi, Traded at 245,000 miles with no mechanical issues. Seat complaint is absolutely valid. I put a set of Corbeau seats in mine.

Current Ram is a 2016 2500 4x4 that now has 112,000 miles, no issues.

I had a ‘77 or ‘78 Dodge PW. 3/4 ton, 4wd. 440 w auto trans. It was the gas drinkn rig I ever owned by far!!

I'm taking delivery on a 22 ram rebel next month once it's finished getting built. My last 4 trucks have been F150s. All had cam phaser issues and the current one got a new transmission at 70k miles and rear diff at 100k. When my truck was at the dealership getting the rear diff, there were 8 trucks on the lifts getting transmissions. All 8 were newer than my '17 limited. Had to go a different route.

Not vouching for consumer reports, but ram is smoking ford and chevy in their ratings. For some scale, ram built 569k trucks in 21’.
BE7B4448-F5B0-4ACC-BF1D-B5CC35BAA820.png

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
I'm taking delivery on a 22 ram rebel next month once it's finished getting built. My last 4 trucks have been F150s. All had cam phaser issues and the current one got a new transmission at 70k miles and rear diff at 100k. When my truck was at the dealership getting the rear diff, there were 8 trucks on the lifts getting transmissions. All 8 were newer than my '17 limited. Had to go a different route.
I love my 21’ model. I got the standard 5.7. 33k on it now. The interior is amazing. The 8 spd trans is the best auto I've experienced. Really like the oem tires too, excellent in snow and ice, and so far wearing very well.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Can't believe the cost of new vehicles, but especially trucks nowadays. $75K plus for a fucking pick up truck, seriously? I get that most of these are just driven to the office and the occasional Home Depot trip. But I sure as hell would not spend that kind of money on a truck that's actually gonna get used like one. Besides that fact that they have nothing to justify that cost. Dodge/GM/Ford are laughing all the way to the bank.

Reactions: gigamortis
Can't believe the cost of new vehicles, but especially trucks nowadays. $75K plus for a fucking pick up truck, seriously? I get that most of these are just driven to the office and the occasional Home Depot trip. But I sure as hell would not spend that kind of money on a truck that's actually gonna get used like one. Besides that fact that they have nothing to justify that cost. Dodge/GM/Ford are laughing all the way to the bank.

This is true but the market realized that people will pay more money when it's on something that assists in making money. I have to have a truck for work and I have to have one for pulling my boat as well. It is what it is

Id disagree with “nothing to justify the cost”. Consumers want it all, and can get it today. Diesel, 10 speed trans. head to toe leather, 1000f ft /bs, 25k lbs towing, car like ride, car like noise, with 25 mpg. I remeber those trucks from the 70’s onwards, and the trucks now are freaking space ships by comparison. We can argue just exactly how much they should cost, but they damn sure check way more boxes than they did 20 years ago.

SS’s is right on these new trucks. But being a Farmer, there is a market for vanilla, long wheel base, 4wd, 300 6-cyl, 5 spd without all electronics and bells/whistles.

I have an 07 Power Wagon with the 5.9 and manual 6 speed. Zero issues other than the clutch going at 60K. Got right at 100K and still haven't put brakes on it. Mine has 4:56 gears so at 80 MPH feels like the motors going to come apart. Other than the 12-13 MPG its fine, everything works, no mechanical issue what so ever. If you want to tow buy something else.

Brand new is no longer depreciating given this strange market and time we're in. Just had a dealer here in Virginia offer me $4k over what I paid for my 2020 Chevy 2500HD when I took it in for maintenance. I was like yea that's cool...but do you have the same thing from 2022 in stock? Nope...no inventory, said things have been slow cause of the "chip shortage". I don't know that a market crash would fix it...i think we're headed to a mix of stagflation and social unrest.
temporary, don't be fooled by current conditions of supply chain driving up the costs. Demand has not changed in fact, it's off slightly

Reactions: FatBoy
Id disagree with “nothing to justify the cost”. Consumers want it all, and can get it today. Diesel, 10 speed trans. head to toe leather, 1000f ft /bs, 25k lbs towing, car like ride, car like noise, with 25 mpg. I remeber those trucks from the 70’s onwards, and the trucks now are freaking space ships by comparison. We can argue just exactly how much they should cost, but they damn sure check way more boxes than they did 20 years ago.
agree, my Ram is like driving a caddy and spot on about consumers. People live month to month instead of year to year. it's nuts

I would advise him to wait until 2023 to buy anything expensive. EVERYTHING expensive I've bought made in 2021 or thus far in 2022 has needed warranty work almost of not immediately and my 2021 Ford truck ended up being a lemon with tons of issues. I ended up buying a used Lexus and it runs and drives better with better body panel alignment and all that than that Ford pile of crap.

I generally go for Toyota or GM trucks, honestly. I tried the Ford... even if it wasn't a mechanical lemon with horrible body panel alignment I still would have ended up hating it. Does he really need a Power Wagon-sized truck? Why not get a Toyota Tundra and have a truck for life?

Reactions: krw
I drive a 2012 one ton ram megacab with the cummins. 198K miles, and she runs great. Few years ago I hooked up the rolling apartment (24' 5200lbs) and took the tribe up to Alaska, around Canada, and back, 12,557 miles in total. Averaged 14.5mpg, and had absolutely no issues (thank god).

I've taken it all sorts of places a 1ton has no business going. I love that truck as much as I love my dogs. It's been great to me. I wouldn't mind a powerwagon, but damn, they are expensive.

Me personally, i'd buy something that was a few years older, and had some miles on it, with a good service history over something brand new, but the market we have now is bizarre, and I don't care for it, so i'll wait it out.

With my kids getting older, and not having time or interest to go adventurin' with me, i'm likely going to go get a Toyota 4runner, and do my adventuring in that. A little smaller will actually be easier for the trails I like, and with factory options like e lockers, and really great traction control systems that can simulate a front locker, they're going to be a lot more capable, with a lower stress level, than a full size pickup.

Branden

Buy a diesel. The resale value is much higher. Gas mileage is much better.

Yup. And every time it hits the shop it's a $5000 bill.

Every time I factor oil changes, fuel mileage, and cost to buy the diesel loses. All the money you save on fuel goes into the oil changes and def. You need 300k to make back the $12000 premium you pay for the diesel.

I chose a 18 Duramax for work, where the company owns the truck, fuel bill, and all the maintenance. CCLB 2500.

My personal daily driver is a 16 CCLB 2500, 6.0 gasser.

The gasser is cheaper. Sure I only get 6mpg instead of 10mpg towing a trailer. I also don't have to buy def and oil changes are $100 cheaper. I get about 2-3mpg less in the gasser empty. I'd never pay the $12k difference.

Reactions: gigamortis
I would advise him to wait until 2023 to buy anything expensive. EVERYTHING expensive I've bought made in 2021 or thus far in 2022 has needed warranty work almost of not immediately and my 2021 Ford truck ended up being a lemon with tons of issues. I ended up buying a used Lexus and it runs and drives better with better body panel alignment and all that than that Ford pile of crap.

I generally go for Toyota or GM trucks, honestly. I tried the Ford... even if it wasn't a mechanical lemon with horrible body panel alignment I still would have ended up hating it. Does he really need a Power Wagon-sized truck? Why not get a Toyota Tundra and have a truck for life?

Truck for life? You must not be planning on being around very long...

Tundras suck. It's not an 80's Toyota that sips fuel and lives on with bad head gaskets. It's a truck designed to compete with the big 3 and sells because of the name. It has all the same issues the big 3 have.

Reactions: ken226
In feb 2020 I bought a ram 1500 crew cab with 9k miles on it (j&j fleet return) that had everything but leather and ass warmers. I paid 22k for it and love the truck. I think it drives better than my wife's Mercedes 500. Gets good mileage on the highway, shifts like butter and handles bad weather great. I honestly couldn't be happier, even has the cooler boxes! I don't think I'll ever buy another car again that is not a classic.

Well out of the 46 posts so far, one or two was at least somewhat related to what the OP asked …
I bought a 2018 PW new and love it. Just turned 100k miles with no trouble.
The 21/22 models do seem to have a bit more trouble with electrical gremlins and the rear taillight leaking. But the 8 speed trans seems to be very well liked. A dealer almost talked me into trading mine in on a new one, but I just don’t have any complaints with the one I have now.

Reactions: PatMiles
SS’s is right on these new trucks. But being a Farmer, there is a market for vanilla, long wheel base, 4wd, 300 6-cyl, 5 spd without all electronics and bells/whistles.
I agree. My ram 3500 is a tradesman with rubber floors and very basic interior. Put on my own wheels and bumpers = work truck. It would be a shame to grind cow shit into leather and carpet. I had to search for it in 2014......I may not even be able to find a basically equipped truck when I need to replace it.

Friend who is the service manager for a Ram dealer has a PW and loves it.....has had no issues for what it is worth.

Reactions: BCP
Payload is only 100 pounds more on a power wagon at 1500 than a raptor is at 1400. Don’t know why you wouldn’t get the raptor and that point when both are pretty much toys at that point
Not all about payload. The PW is straight axle with a manual transfer case for example. Raptors are also hard to find, and carry a $30k markup around here. In fact, locally there is a used one with 36k miles, and they want $70k for it. Thats not a typo.