• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.204 Ruger AR Build

PharmShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2011
Muncie, IN
Gentlemen,

I am highly considering building a .204 Rugar AR for varmint hunting. Does anyone have any input regarding barrels, complete uppers, or anything else???? I want it to be a hammer and something I use for at least a few years. Looks and performance. Your ideas are appreciated.

Re: .204 Ruger AR Build

I built one a few years back and went with a 24" Shilen match barrel. One thing you will have to consider is what bullets you want to shoot. You will have the option to pick a 1:12 or 1:10, typically, twist barrel. I went with the 1:12. Mine shoots everything VERY well up to 39 grain bullets. I have loads with 35 bergers and 39 sierra blitz kings that are literally bugholes. But when I load 40 grain bullets and shoot I get 1" or so groups. Still not bad I guess but I have several loads that will cover 5 shots with half of a dime. My buddy also built one and he went with a 1:10 because he wanted to shoot the 50 grain bergers. That didnt interest me as I wanted the speed that the .204 is know for and if I want a heavier bullet I will just take one of my .223 or other caliber AR's. But my gun is boringly accurate and I like it that way...
grin.gif

I think white oak armory (WOA) makes a .204 barrel. I have a .223 from them that is a shooter!

Wilson combat also makes a barrel in 204. The problem is getting your hands on a barrel at all right now. I searched everywhere for one a couple weeks ago and came up empty.