• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.204 ruger upper

AHall

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2011
Western Slope, CO
I'm really looking forward to add a new caliber to the collection. Been wanting some form of 204 for a long time. I have a few options it seems. I can buy a dpms upper, build one, or simply buy a bolt gun. Im having a hard time finding a barrel to build. Heard WOA is a great choice. Everything I can find is very expensive and/or not available. Also how well is this cartridge performing in a gas gun? Damaging brass, feeding easily?
This would be sitting on my RRA lower til I finish my Seekins lower build.

I have had 3 AR rifles in .204 R. The first two were Les Baer 26" heavy varmint rifles. Both shot amazingly well. Right up there with a first rate bolt gun. Hornady 32 grain factory load was so good that I saved my brass but never reloaded for it.
I then built an upper on a Mega monolithic set up with an Adj gas block, threaded barrel for suppressor, Baer barrel. It seems to shoot right along with the Baer rifles, but with the features I want in a hunting rifle. Have not shot it to 600 yet, but it shoots 5 shots into less than an inch at 300. It is not hard on brass at all.

I'm not opposed to building it. I just dont want to have issue tearing up brass. Sound like they are a big hit in an AR platform. Where did you buy the shilen at?

JP has a great 204 set up. I'm running their 204 Ruger upper on a Seekins lower.

I also have a 204 Ruger in an ar platform and I love it. I built the upper but I used a DPMS 204 Ruger barrel, it was all I could find in stock at the time it shoots great!

Did you buy direct from dpms on the barrel? Choices seem pretty limited right now. Ive called several big names with no luck.

I ordered the barrel off of jse surplus. I also see them pop up on Brownells time to time.