• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

208 A MAX stringing

Texar2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2008
Texas
I have tried several powders and different seating depths but I can't seem to get rid of horizontal stringing with the 208 A MAX. Vertically my groups are about 1/2 moa and horizontally they are just over 1 moa. Any idea how to fix this? The rifle I am using is a 308 surgeon, aics,krieger 1-10 and is a half moa shooter all day with 175 smk's. Thanks, Cody.

Re: 208 A MAX stringing

Parallax,
Cheek Weld,
Butt to Shoulder position.

Shoot them for groups at 200+ yards they may have not stabilized or "gone to sleep" yet.

Cheers,

Doc

It is also possible that the additional recoil of the 208's is just enough to uncover a weakness in your form or position. Where is your strong hand thumb? Are you pulling the trigger *straight* back with a 90 deg. angle in your trigger finger? How hard is your firing hand gripping the stock? How is your trigger follow through? Do you bounce on the trigger? Does the rifle drive straight back and you can you watch your hits at 100 yds?

All of these things, if not executed well, can induce rifle movement during the barrel phase and cause bullets to go where you did not intend. Some are more prone to horizontal than others, like thumb placement and trigger pull and body position, but all must be done well to shoot well... especially as recoil goes up.

John

Thanks for the responses. I have been going over the fundamentals searching for the answer. I think I will do some hard hold vs. relaxed hold and see if there is an obvious difference in my pattern. Maybe I need to drop the rifle in my old hs precision stock and see if that changes things for me, right now it is in an aics. I do not believe it is the load, as that would be an unusually rectangular group. I have produced repeated 0.3x1.1 inch, 5 shot groups at 150 yds. Thank you again for the advice. Any more is welcome.

Hmmm. That's a strange one. Fundamental shooting techniques aside, have you tried the same powder and primer combo as your 175 SMK load? I know you said you used different powders, but just curious if you used the same combo with the 208's?

How about seating depth? Just a guess, but maybe the OAL is too long such that the tips get maligned while sitting in your magazine? Or do you single load.

Keep us updated.
thanks,
Jason

I will keep you posted. I loaded up some more and will be shooting them next week. They are loaded to mag length which is about 2.875 for the aics. The next load is 2.865. We will see if there is any difference.

Just wondering what kind velocity you are getting out of 308.

I usually shoot a-max 208gr at 2700fps out of my 300WSM.

Just an update. I have been using rl 17 and no longer have horizontal stringing. varget was the worst.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Recoil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just an update. I have been using rl 17 and no longer have horizontal stringing. varget was the worst. </div></div>

I believe that, I wont even consider using Varget in my 308 anymore. Well, almost did for my latest project, but thats for 155AMAXs(friend from work).

Varget works great for me with the 175 and 168s but the 208s dont seem to like it. The 200gr sierras did ok with the varget but the 208 a max is another animal.

A friend of mine shoots the 208's out of his 300win mag and gets great results with retumbo. It's worked out to be a pretty sweet load.