• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

208 AMAX in 300 weatherby

Right behind you w/ 30-378

I'd be curious as well. I have a lot of IMR7828 I use in a .270 Wby Mag shooting Hornady Interbond 130 grn. Last time on the range
had an exact 1mm offset hole in hole at 303 yrds using 71 grns of powder at 3350fps.

Now, stepping up to the 30-378, I'd like to stay w/ the IMR7828 but use the 208 AMAX.

I've found load data to be conflicting on line. Probably the biggest thing I can bring to your question is try a ladder test. I'm looking
at doing the same in the very near future for the 30-378. I did a ladder test w/ a dpms lr308 and it showed two different loads worked very well.
I eventually elected the tamer of the loads since I was seeing overpressure signs on my brass. From that, I ended up shooting a
3 round group that was less than 1/4 moa at 935 yards (surprised the crap out of me).

Just start at a published safe load for that heavy bullet and work up by a couple of tenths of a grain until you start to see pressure signs. I used 3
types of powder and 3 different bullets working up the load.

Hopefully you have a brake on that monster, otherwise wear lots of padding.

Regards,
David

I posted this to AR15.com:

.300 Weatherby Mag and 208 Gr. AMAX --Any advice? (Updated again) - AR15.COM

I was working with a Weatherby rifle and Weatherby once-fired factory brass.

Cliff notes from AR15.com Thread:

I never heard back from Hornady about a START load for the 208's, and after some mulling, I went with 66 grains of H4350.

That charge delivered a comfortable 2666 feet per second in once-fired Weatherby brass.

I walked the charge weights up to 73.4 grains and wasn't seeing any obvious pressure signs--but I'm going to show the fired cases to more experienced magnum reloaders before going up any higher--though I do think higher velocities CAN be had with this rifle.

There were a couple real fine signs of accuracy nodes at 2850-2950. I was shooting to chrono and not for accuracy--but accuracy seemed pretty frigging amazing. I'll post pics of the ladder test tomorrow.

So anyway--here are the particulars:

The rifle was a Weatherby Mark V with a 26" barrel, 1-in-10 twist.
Brass was once-fired Weatherby.
Primer was Federal Magnum Match.
The temperature was mid-to-high 60's.
Range was 300 yards.

I began the tests by fouling the rifle with 3 factory Weatherby 220 grain RN.

All 220 gr RN chrono'd at the expected velocities (2850 +/-).

220 grain RN rounds printed approximately 17" below POA at 300 yards.

I let the barrel cool about ten minutes between shots, action open, standing upright.

The chrono was a Competiton Electronics unit which has been shot fewer than three times and is held together with duct tape, but which never throws an ERROR.

View the velocities figures posted as a guideline only--this is a $99 chrono and there must be a margin of error, here. (NOTE: on the last range session I borrowed another chrono and stacked them end-to-end, and tested my chrono data by shooting through bothchronos. The second chrono recorded data which was consistently 70 or 80 fps FASTER than my chrono).

[span style='font-weight: bold;']POWDER: H4350

66 grains 2666 fps
68 grains 2783 fps
70 grains 2808 fps
71 grains 2789* fps
72 grains 2842 fps
72.5 grains 2949 fps (NOTE: I let the barrel cool for about half an hour before continuing)
72.8 grains 2989* fps
73.1 grains 2923* fps
73.4 grains 2904* fps [/span]

[span style='font-style: italic;']*Note lower velocity than previous charge/suspect chrono's margin of error? Also, during the half hour I allowed the barrel to cool the chrono conditions changed--the sun came out and the skies cleared. [/span]

The 208 grain AMAX with 73.4 grains H4350 printed just 6.5" lower than POA at 300 yards.

First 3 shots (numbered in photos 1/2/3) were 220gr RN/@300 yards.

just for shits and giggles I took a wild-ass guess at a start point to go looking for accuracy and built 5 cartridges each of H4350 and RL-25, just playing a hunch based on ladder results from previous range sessions.

I made 5 rounds of H4350 at 74.3 grains, and 5 rounds of RL-25 at 83 grains. The cases were factory Weatherby (once-fired), neck sized with a redding neck-sizing die, primed with Federal GM215M primers.

I didn't get any real pressure signs to speak of--no hard bolt lift, and no dramatic flattening of the primers.

Quite frankly I still have no idea where a true maximum is for this particular rifle--but this is as far as I've taken it.

In the short days the light fades quickly, and I have occasionally gotten flaky results and dropout from the chrono--but oh well, this is what I've got so far.

I only shot at 200 yrds cuz I'm a puss.

Conditions were in the mid to high 30's, cold and windy.

The 3 fouling shots with factory Weatherby 220 grain RN chrono'd at 2943 fps average. (2917, 2969, and one shot failed to record).

74.3 grains of H4350 averaged 3062 fps.
individual shots:

3023 fps
3072 fps
3093 fps
no data
no data

83 grains of RL-25 averaged 2976 fps.individual shots:

2976 fps
2989 fps
2943 fps
2996 fps
2976 fps

ES 53
SD 20

Remember that these charge weights were shot in a Weatherby bore--designed with LOTS of freebore to mitigate against pressure.

Do not assume these charge weights are safe in any other kind of rifle.

I hope this data helps somebody out.

Last edited:
Eight_Ring,

When I plug what is available into QL, predictions are with 1% of your published actual for all loads.

EI: Your actual 66grns of H4350 was 2666 my predicted was 2643

Classic/standard/conservative would say to use a slower powder than H4350, it seems to work.

FWIW: My 300WSM load for 208 A-Max, H4350 is 60.5 with a 3.015 COAL for ~2750fps but I also have one for going faster.

I encourage the OP to be safe but I hope it works for you.

Eight_Ring,

When I plug what is available into QL, predictions are with 1% of your published actual for all loads.

EI: Your actual 66grns of H4350 was 2666 my predicted was 2643

Classic/standard/conservative would say to use a slower powder than H4350, it seems to work.

FWIW: My 300WSM load for 208 A-Max, H4350 is 60.5 with a 3.015 COAL for ~2750fps but I also have one for going faster.

I encourage the OP to be safe but I hope it works for you.

Would you mind sharing what Quickload lists as a MAX for H4350 and RL-25?

Also--I have read threads where other people have gotten good results out of IMR4350 with the 208gr AMAX--and I noted it was in a Weatherby rifle as well.

I wonder if the Weatherby "freebore" somehow contributed to the performace of the faster powder(?).

Would that make any sense?

I don't feel comfortable quoting max loads outside of published manuals.

I'm sure that a load for IMR4350 can be found.

Regarding freebore: as I understand it, the long freebore is/was part of Roy Weatherby's philosophy. Give the bullet a running start results in reduce pressures and increased velocities.

I recommend you get QL.

My specs- WBY MK-V, 26"
Fired, FL sized wby brass, fed 215
81.8-82gr IMR 7828 SSC (Vel. 2975fps)= sub moa to 1150 yds
If you have RL-25, I would find a load with that first before going with H-4350. I would ladder in .5gr increments from 80-85gr with RL-25 to find your node and MAX. I would also recommend 7828, h-1000 etc. I could get up past 3100fps easy with faster powders (and slower) like RL-22/ 4350 but accuracy is not there. I seat just under mag length and I'm nowhere near the lands.
From the reading I've done and in my own limited experience with RL-25, is accuracy seems to come at 100% + case fill. I'm going to load up the amax with some h-1000 and see if I can get the same or better accuracy/velocity.

P.S. The slower powders definitely run cooler in my pencil barrel than the faster powders, ie. can shoot more without barrel getting to hot.