• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

20moa cantilever base for 30mm tube?

jrf

Private
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
PA, USA
Have a RRA Varmint upper on it's way along with a Vortex Viper 4-16 with 30mm tube. I have a cantilever M223 base with my Nikon M223 scope that I like and "assume" I will like the additional 20moa with the new setup. Does anyone know who makes these other than American Defense? I don't need a QD base.

Basically looking for this: American Defense Recon Mount

Without the price tag since I don't need QD.

Anyone else have this scope on a flattop? What rings/base did you use?

Thanks!

Re: 20moa cantilever base for 30mm tube?

Have you looked at Primary Arms mounts?

I did, great prices but no 20 moa mounts. Or at least none of them said that in the description.

Taken directly from the Vortex Viper PST instructions:

"Note: If shooting at distances in excess of 800 yards with 4–16x50 or 6–24x50 models, Vortex Optics recommends use of a 20 MOA
canted Picatinny rail or 30mm rings with adjustable offsets. These can be purchased through companies such as Badger Ordnance,
Barrett Mfg., EGW, Burris, and others."

I'm leaning toward an aadmount right now. Only negative is that it's heavy. But the rest of the rifle is going to be heavy.

Also Larue makes a 10 moa mount and Nightforce makes a 20 moa mount along with Nikon obviously. Nikon's only come in 1" from what I can tell.

Since you don't need QD, you could get a Badger Ordnance 22 MOA AR riser rail, then use regular 30 mm rings. I do this on my .308 AR and AR-15 and it works great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have a RRA Varmint upper on it's way along with a Vortex Viper 4-16 with 30mm tube. I have a cantilever M223 base with my Nikon M223 scope that I like and "assume" I will like the additional 20moa with the new setup. Does anyone know who makes these other than American Defense? I don't need a QD base.

Basically looking for this: American Defense Recon Mount

Without the price tag since I don't need QD.

Anyone else have this scope on a flattop? What rings/base did you use?

Thanks!
</div></div>

I have a Nightforce Unimount. 20 MOA, comes in 1.125" and 1.375" heights. It's made of 7075-T6, with grade 5 titanium (ie 6AL-4V) crossbolts, jaws, an crossbolt nuts. I'm going to use this with a Viper PST 4-16x.

Oh, there's also the new GAP/Badger one:
397488612.jpg

http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2645603#Post2645603

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Solid_Squirrel said:
Oh, there's also the new GAP/Badger one:
397488612.jpg

http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2645603#Post2645603 [/quot
e]
Thats a 30mm base? PMII? </div></div>

34mm ID with 30mm reducers <span style="text-decoration: line-through">included</span> for $20 extra.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call the Shop. (816) 221-1844 talk to Ken

Price without inserts is $185

With the 30 MM inserts it will be $205</div></div>

Not sure you can buy those without buying a GAP-10. But you might...

Why would you need a 20 MAO base for a .223 / 5.56 ?
Really, you aren't going to be knocking targets at 1000 yards with a .223.
A stock 30 mm tube should have plenty of elevation adjustment to get the .223 to its effective range limit.
PLUS your new scope is 16 power max. 20 MOA bases are more for shooting 900 + yards with calibers that have effective ranges past that.
I say 'save your money' and spend it on an accessory your will get more use out of.
For what my opinion is worth anyway....