• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20xc

CV06

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2019
Baker, MT
I am considering building a 20xc in order to shoot 55gr Bergers. I already have a 6xc and plenty of brass. Could anybody explain what else I would need to make 20xc brass from that 6xc brass?

It's not a great idea.

I had a bunch of 6x47L brass so I did a 20x47L for the 55gr Bergers. In less than 300 rounds I was getting comma's on paper and bullets blowing up mid air. Slowing the the 55's down 300 fps didn't help in my Krieger 9 twist barrel.

I had to go to the 40Vmax slowed down a bit, meaning 4100 fps, they work for whatever reason but of course they peter out sooner due to the lower BC. Good for inside 500Y though.

Yikes, that’s some crazy overbore. I love my 20’s but the biggest I’d go is maybe a 20 Grendel or a 20 ARC.

To answer your question, a bushing die with several appropriate bushings ought to do it as far as case forming.

Yikes, that’s some crazy overbore. I love my 20’s but the biggest I’d go is maybe a 20 Grendel or a 20 ARC.

To answer your question, a bushing die with several appropriate bushings ought to do it as far as case forming.
It's not a great idea.

I had a bunch of 6x47L brass so I did a 20x47L for the 55gr Bergers. In less than 300 rounds I was getting comma's on paper and bullets blowing up mid air. Slowing the the 55's down 300 fps didn't help in my Krieger 9 twist barrel.

I had to go to the 40Vmax slowed down a bit, meaning 4100 fps, they work for whatever reason but of course they peter out sooner due to the lower BC. Good for inside 500Y though.
Damn, so now you are confirming what I
It's not a great idea.

Haha terrible news. So a 20-250, 20x47 and a 20xc will most likely have that same problem? In you opinion what would my best option be to shoot the 55s? 20br? Thanks for the info!

Damn, so now you are confirming what I

Haha terrible news. So a 20-250, 20x47 and a 20xc will most likely have that same problem? In you opinion what would my best option be to shoot the 55s? 20br? Thanks for the info!

Yep, personally I wouldn't go larger capacity than the BR case.

You could contact Frank at Bartlein barrels to ask advice about what type of rifling and the least invasive bore diameter will work best for these long thin jacketed bullets. IIRC ever so slightly shallower lands and larger groove diameter helps keep the bullets together better.