• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

21" 300 Win Mag

Wiscat

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
I am sending my trusty Tikka 300 win mag in to @LongRifles Inc. for a face lift. I am going to have it treaded for a brake and suppressor. As well as having the bolt fluted and re-cerakoted I plan on using a Micro Bastard the majority of the time and using my Omega 300 occasionally. Due to running the can and brake I would like to have the barrel (currenty 24.375) cut to 21".

My question is has anyone gone this short with a 300 Win? I am currently getting 3109 with 180gr Accubonds and would like to have some idea of what to expect.

I generally prefer a shorter rifle.

21" will be sweet and it looks like your doing the T&P for my can greattt choice ;)

Mike R.

21" will be sweet and it looks like your doing the T&P for my can greattt choice ;)

Mike R.
You think I will see any issues with it? Silencerco warranties it down to 20". Even with the can Its not gonna be much of a plinking rifle. I just want a hunting hammer. I have a CTR 260 that will be getting practice reps
IMG_0425.JPG

Rifle in question a few years ago in AK. The Talley's are getting replaced with a rail and Seekins rings. The scope will be a Razor LHT.

I had an AXMC with a 21.75" 300WM barrel that shot Hornady 200gr PH ammo into one hole. Average velocity was 2815fps, with a TBAC Ultra 7. I will be building a lighter rifle with the same barrel length for hunting, based on my experience with that combo.

It comes down to what you want. Basically, a 18" 300WM is a 24" 308, so the scales slide thusly. Cutting to 21 will shave a bit of velocity off, but if you aren't shooting at the limits of the caliber, you'll be fine, just adjust your dope card accordingly.
And on your Tikka, you can get aftermarket bolt knobs and shrouds and bottom metal, if you'd rather not certakote the plastic.

I’ve got MT tactical bottom metal and a t3x shroud. I left the plastic stuff on my super like 270. To cut weight.

I'm doing something very similar with my Tikka .308 (bolt fluting, cerakote, barrel threading, MT bottom metal, etc.) so I'm following with interest.

Great looking blacktail. Where in AK was that?

Do you hunt with hearing protection? If not, isn't a braked, 21" 300WM going to ring your bell pretty good?

Sitka. I would probably use a foamy in my left ear out west. Hunting Northern WI or AK I would just run a thread protector and confirm my zero shift. Hunting from a blind I would use my can. All my threaded hunting guns have the shifts for all 3 logged.

I would like to see a 24" 308 try to match the velocity of an 18" 300wm. Not gonna happen. My 26" 308 would push 168s a hair over 2800. My 26" 300WM will easily shoot 200g and 208g bullets at 3000fps.

Reactions: black max
I would like to see a 24" 308 try to match the velocity of an 18" 300wm. Not gonna happen. My 26" 308 would push 168s a hair over 2800. My 26" 300WM will easily shoot 200g and 208g bullets at 3000fps.
I was wondering this as well. Especially as case capacity helps heavier weights vs 308. I was running through my data on this rifle this morning and my average MV is 3109 out of the current 24.375 barrel 180gr (Accubond). I expect to be over 3000-3025 with a 21". That's still over a lot of factory offerings at 2950.

Running a Bartlein 10 twist 300wm at 20" with an AAC Mk13-SD can - all work done by Chadford over at LRI.

76.8g of RL26 gets a 190g LRX moving 3000fps without pressure. I have a node at 2968 (IIRC) that's lights out. If you're going short, skip H1000 and get RL26.

I'm doing something very similar with my Tikka .308 (bolt fluting, cerakote, barrel threading, MT bottom metal, etc.) so I'm following with interest.

Great looking blacktail. Where in AK was that?

Do you hunt with hearing protection? If not, isn't a braked, 21" 300WM going to ring your bell pretty good?

I've done 2 of these. Now the 270(bottom) has a spiral fluted bolt cerakoted to match and a Razor LH. Current pictures are in the Tikka form. The 300 has seen WI, CO, WY, and AK. The bottom has hunted TX, WY, and WI. They both have a bunch of critters on them. I love it for a hunting set up. I also have a CTR 260 that will see most of the practice reps. All will have LH or LHT Razors with the same reticle.
TKA.jpg

My 21” 300prc is cruising at 2850 with 215s I’d imagine a 300 win would be just a step behind, not much powder lost between the two.

I had it over 3k before I saw pressure with the muzzle brake. It saw pressure faster with a can

My 21” 300prc is cruising at 2850 with 215s I’d imagine a 300 win would be just a step behind, not much powder lost between the two.

I had it over 3k before I saw pressure with the muzzle brake. It saw pressure faster with a can

Good to know! That's some speed.

Good to know! That's some speed.
It’s quite fast imo. Not sure if that’s a result of fairy dust, a good action, barrel and brass combo, 215s bearing surface etc but I’ve been very pleased

The part of that you are quoting is anecdotal. 2700 with a 190 in a 24" 308 is a petty hot load. 2700 with 18" barrel 300wm with a 190 is not. The author does not like short barrels as he opines. His choice, if he had a nice can he might like them better. He can call it what he wants, but you are not over lapping in performance very much 308 vs 300wm unless you go absurdly short vs absurdly long. 16" vs 24" is what he said, and still disagree. Maybe factory 300wm vs some 70k PSI 308 hand loads 16" vs 24" they might get with in a couple hundred fps.

Last edited:
It’s quite fast imo. Not sure if that’s a result of fairy dust, a good action, barrel and brass combo, 215s bearing surface etc but I’ve been very pleased

Why is quite fast based on your opinion? If you go look at hodgdon reloading data center, their are multiple powders that put in in the 2800-2900 range in a 24" barrel with the 208 a max. The 200 ELD is easy to push over 3k. The load I settled on was right at 3k.

Mine was not meant to be an all-encompassing statement of absolute fact, it was a generalization regarding the behavior of both calibers in relation to changes in barrel length. You are free to disagree, in general or in particular.

Carry on.

Why is quite fast based on your opinion? If you go look at hodgdon reloading data center, their are multiple powders that put in in the 2800-2900 range in a 24" barrel with the 208 a max. The 200 ELD is easy to push over 3k. The load I settled on was right at 3k.

I’m not talking about anything you have said in this thread. Perhaps there is a misunderstanding because I don’t understand how any of that relates to my scenario