• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

21st Century Adjustable Seating Depth Primer Tool

drn1234

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2011
Castle Rock Colorado
I just received my 21st Century adjustable primer seating tool. I love well constructed tools and this does not disappoint.

It has very tight tolerances and allows you to adjust your seating depth of the primers.

Now for the real test tomorrow.

S.S. Priming Tool

I always thought you wanted the primers seated all the way down so when the firing pin struck it, the primer wouldn't seat farther in the pocket possibly causing a light hit.

I just received my 21st Century adjustable primer seating tool. I love well constructed tools and this does not disappoint.

It has very tight tolerances and allows you to adjust your seating depth of the primers.

Now for the real test tomorrow.

S.S. Priming Tool

Good to know, I am going to order one, I have been very happy with there products.

Lee stuff sucks and yes it works but very cheaply if you want accuracy and consistency buy precision made dies and reloading components.

sent from RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro
-
This may be a better constructed Priming Tool . It looks nice a stout, well made but I disagree and a Lee Priming tool does not Suck . It does the job you give it and does it with the same end results .

quote:
..." it works but very cheaply if you want accuracy and consistency ."
Accuracy is also NOT in the Tool used to Seat Primers . We are Not talking about LEE Dies & reloading components like you say . We are talking about a tool that puts the Seats a Primer .

I don't believe you are ( purchasing better accuracy ) like you say, with this product over a LEE seating the same Primer in an exact Pocket in the same exact same piece of Brass .

The Accuracy is in ( Primer type ) and the Brass it goes into . There can be a difference in Cartridge Brass Pockets to affect accuracy and that can affect the Primer seating along with the Flash Holes also . If the Primer Pocket is not cut to deep for a proper Firing Pin strike . There is NO difference between these Primer tools in the respect they both seat the Primer in the bottom of the Pocket . There is No Difference in going BANG ????
I seated enough Primers to go threw 2 Lee's and they served me well and with always setting Primers correctly in the Pocket so they go BANG . And that Is all you can expect from the Primers any Priming tool puts in the Pockets .

Actually take the Lee trays and shell holders and use the 21st Century replacement handle for the Lee. SUPER setup.

And I wonder about seating primers to a given depth, rather than feeling them slide into the primer pocket and bottom out. Mine may not be set to the same depth, but they ARE set to the anvil touching the case for reliable and consistent ignition.

Oh and many people swear by the Lee Collet Neck Sizing Die. And the factory crimp die for those rounds that need it.

There's a reason the top shooters in the world use custom made dies and equipment such as 21st century K&M and so forth. Its all in consistency and being able to load ammo consistent from one round to the next.
If you're OK with Lee go for it if you're also OK with hitting a 10x10" plate at 500 yards that's fine to. That's your style of accuracy and shooting.
I started out with Lee dies many years ago on a factory rifle and as I progressed to better dies and reloading tools I saw two things happen my groups got smaller and my groups were more consistent. Today I prep my loads for my factory guns just as I do with my custom bench guns. And yes these tools make a difference whether you wish to believe it or not.

There's a reason the top shooters in the world use custom made dies and equipment such as 21st century K&M and so forth. Its all in consistency and being able to load ammo consistent from one round to the next.
If you're OK with Lee go for it if you're also OK with hitting a 10x10" plate at 500 yards that's fine to. That's your style of accuracy and shooting.
I started out with Lee dies many years ago on a factory rifle and as I progressed to better dies and reloading tools I saw two things happen my groups got smaller and my groups were more consistent. Today I prep my loads for my factory guns just as I do with my custom bench guns. And yes these tools make a difference whether you wish to believe it or not.

-
OH come on .., nice slipping-in a Backhand Compliment there with saying if you use even anything Lee you are happy with 2-MOA @ 500 yard .
So your saying that if I even use the ( LEE Primer set ) that this is Me ??? , and I happily settle to living with sub-par accuracy . and Your wrong again .

-
OH come on .., nice slipping-in a Backhand Compliment there with saying if you use even anything Lee you are happy with 2-MOA @ 500 yard .
So your saying that if I even use the ( LEE Primer set ) that this is Me ??? , and I happily settle to living with sub-par accuracy . and Your wrong again .

I said if that's what you're happy with. But it appears you prefer read into what I'm trying say.
Again I stand behind why top shooters in the world who compete use custom made loading components. If you like to bring your Lee loaded equipment to a registered match and compete I'd love to see just how you fair amongst the elite shooters.

Well my plans to try this out today did not work out. I will post a small review once I get some seat time with it. Get it. lol

I have been wanting to take my reloading to the next step in consistency so I have been doing a ton of research on tools and techniques from the benchrest forums and crowd.
Since benchrest in my eyes is basically a reloading competition I thought I would get the best tips from them.

What I have noticed is everything they do and the tools they use is in the name of consistency from shot to shot.

That is why I went with an adjustable primer seater. This way once set up it will give me consistent seating depth every time.

I said if that's what you're happy with. But it appears you prefer read into what I'm trying say.
Again I stand behind why top shooters in the world who compete use custom made loading components. If you like to bring your Lee loaded equipment to a registered match and compete I'd love to see just how you fair amongst the elite shooters.

-
Sorry don't have any LEE reloading Dies equipment except for the Hand Primer and an old Lee press that I just use to cap off brass because it is surprisingly concentric according to my Mic .

I have never used any other method for seating Primers other than a Lee hand Primer since I started loading over 30 years ago . I have had a few very accurate rifles especially 6mm and .308 and they all got Primers seated with the Lee hand tools . I also have used nothing but RCBS/Wilson/Redding for Dies for bolt-action .I don't care for LEE Dies .

This (21 century) hand Priming tool does Look nice and well built, even though it is only a ( Single Feed) tool . and I have to say the quality of the LEE hand primer is not built for the long haul and that is why I have burned threw 2, and on my 3rd now in 30 years . But Accuracy is NOT in the Priming tool and the Primer tool does not have anything to do with shooting Tight or Shitty groups .
If the Primer is NOT touching against the Bolt-face when chambering & the Brass Primer Pocket is not cut improperly deep for the firing Pin to reach the Primer, then It's Going BANG for the ignition of powder .
I also still might even buy this new (21 century) it does look pretty , but The LEE is Fast and I can throw 50 to 100 primer in the pockets with the ability to feel everyone on it's seating and in the tightness of the Pocket it is getting seated into .

Hey, let me now try one of those Backhand complements that your Not to read anything into .
If you're OK with your 21 century hand Primer then Go for It . Place all efforts to seating your Primers to the most intricate tolerance that you can force yourself to physically do by putting each Primer one by one in the Pocket & then pat yourself on the back with glee for being perfect .

I have the Sinclair tool and this looks to be more user friendly. To adjust the seating depth with the Sinclair, you use a bunch of different shims, and it still doesn't necessarily get it right where I want it. As to the Lee, I don't know. Some have theorized that proper seating of primers effects SD's. I personally have seated primers too deep (with my Sinclair) causing a "cupping" of the primer pocket. Seating too deep and not enough is bad. The primer needs to be bottomed out so that all 3 anvils are touching firmly. That's about it. Nothing really that magic. The low leverage of the Sinclair's is nice, but I still managed to f it up. At least I now know how it feels to properly seat a primer. If I had to go again, I would get the 21st Century. It's a better design.

As to Lee. They make some great stuff and not so great stuff and it is all inexpensive. I am not a fan of the collet die, but that is because I prefer more control over neck tension, not because it doesn't work. I used the Lee perfect Powder measure for years and I would put it up against the RCBS Uniflow that is on my Prometheus. No need to own all reloading equipment of the same color. Use what works, and that may/will be different depending on the piece of equipment.

This is the one I got.Priming Tool Square

I had the LEE priming tool for a while until it broke. At my local gun store to get any reloading items seems to take forever... literally.
If they don't have in the shop you can wait up to 2-3 months for an item.

This is why I went 21st century their priming tool is built like a tank. I can't see that breaking on me in the foreseeable future.

drn1234, don't forget to lube the linkages on the tool. If it's round (roll pins) gets oil.
If it slides it gets grease.

I don't know about Lee tools sucking. Here's a simple 4 shot group from my .223 gas gun shot at 100 yards off a bag front rest (that's my pinky):

That load came from simple Win Brass, Bulk Montana Gold 55g projectiles, and constructed with the suck Lee dies, suck Lee priming system, and super sucky Lee Turret.

Is it Elite benchrest quality? Nope. Is it sub MOA, you bet! I can also post pics of the same suck Lee equipment producing sub 1/2 MOA .308 loads as well :)

Attachments

29.5 KB · Views: 14
My problem with Lee tools is the warranty, all tools should be designed to last a lifetime, in the case of Lee tools the warranty is not forever or even 10 years, and they are not designed to last, that right there is the reason they suck, as for there performance in the hands of a skilled user they are equal to the other Red Green or Blue stuff.

Use whatever tool you like and does a great job for you. Heck use a flat headed screwdriver for all I care. If it works and you get amazing groups awesome.

The point of this thread was just to share a new tool that i was excited about. Maybe someone on the boards is also unhappy with their primer tool and looking for an alternate.
Is it for everyone no. When something breaks (yes my RCBS hand primer with tray broke) I like to replace it with a more quality feeling tool and I am trying to add some consistency to my reloading.

Its not a slam on other tools or other people I was just sharing a new tool and my reason for purchase.

AAM: Thanks for the tip. Great quality tool.