• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Fieldcraft 21st Century LongHunter Project.

Ghillieman2011

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2011
21stcenturylonghunter3.jpg

21st Century LongHunters is a disscussion group on FaceBook that was Created D. Canterbury, and is a wonderful look back into our past, and a deeper look into his pathfinder system. please go to the wilderness outfitters channel or the Survival Adventure Network channel on youtube for further information on this facinating subject and how this whole project came about.

A Longhunter was an 18th-century explorer and hunter who made expeditions into the American frontier wilderness for as much as six months at a time. Historian Emory Hamilton asserts that "The Long Hunter was peculiar to Southwest Virginia only, and nowhere else on any frontier did such hunts ever originate" although the term has been used loosely to describe any unofficial American explorer of the period. Most long hunts started in the Holston River Valley near Chilhowie, Virginia. The hunters came from there and the adjacent valley of the Clinch River, where they were land owners or residents. The parties of two or three men (and rarely more) usually started their hunts in October and ended toward the end of March or early in April.

The information gathered by longhunters in the 1760s and 1770s would prove critical to the early settlement of Tennessee and Kentucky. Many longhunters were employed by land surveyors seeking to take advantage of the departure of the French from the Ohio Valley at the end of the Seven Years War. Some later helped guide settlers to Middle Tennessee and southeastern Kentucky.

The end of King George's War in 1748 left control of the territory between the Appalachian Mountains and the Mississippi River in dispute. The French wanted the region to connect their holdings in Canada with New Orleans, and the British sought to establish a foothold in the Ohio Valley. The maneuvers of French commander Pierre-Joseph Celoron de Blainville in 1749 discouraged English trade west of the Appalachians, although English speculators remained interested in the region. Walker's 1750 expedition briefly explored what is now southeastern Kentucky, and explorer Christopher Gist managed to reach the mouth of the Kentucky River in 1751. In the opening years of the French and Indian War, the French gained control of the Ohio Valley with the defeat of George Washington at Fort Necessity. With the fall of Fort Duquesne and the construction of Fort Pitt in 1758, however, the French were forced to evacuate the region. The French departure and a relative state of peace with the Cherokee during the same period opened up the region to English explorers and hunters.

John and Samuel Pringle, two deserters from Fort Pitt, spent much of the early 1760s hunting in the Tygart Valley and likely ranged into what is now Kentucky. Part of Elisha Walden's 1761 party hunted along the Rockcastle River from their station camp in southwestern Virginia. In 1767, an expedition led by James Harrod and Michael Holsteiner (Michael Stoner) crossed Kentucky from north-to-south, reaching the Nashville area several weeks after departing from the Illinois Country. Around the same time, an expedition led by Benjamin Cutbird crossed Cumberland Gap and pushed all the way to the Mississippi River, where they shipped the pelts they had collected down to New Orleans.

In 1768, an English explorer named John Finley passed through the Yadkin Valley and visited Daniel Boone, with whom he had served in the French and Indian War. Finley told Boone of the natural splendor of Kentucky's Bluegrass region, which he had visited as a merchant before the French and Indian War. The following year, the two led an expedition into Kentucky, traveling up the Rockcastle River and establishing a station camp at Red Lick Fork. While Boone and a companion named John Stuart were hunting along the Kentucky River, they were captured by the Shawnee, and their pelts were confiscated. They returned to their station camp to find it plundered, and learned that Finley and the rest of the expedition had returned to North Carolina. Undeterred, Boone and Stuart continued hunting in the region. Boone was later joined by his brother, Squire, and the Boone brothers remained in the Kentucky wilderness until 1771. Although they again had their pelts confiscated when they were intercepted by the Cherokee at Cumberland Gap, the Boones were nevertheless eager to return to settle in the region. Daniel Boone's vivid accounts of his hunting exploits helped draw a flood of settlers to Kentucky in subsequent years.

people that i research and study are..

Daniel Boone
Davey Crockett
George Washington Sears aka Nessmuk
Kephart
Mors Kohanski
Richard Pronekke

great men who own thier skills and depended on no one else but themselves. self reliance. that is what it is to be american right now to me.

the idea of a 21st century longhunter, is to take the concepts and fronteir mentality of the old days into the 21st century. what gear did these men carry and why and how that relates to modern day equipment, and why we carry what we carry as individuals to manifest our self reliance in the wilderness.

i'd also like to talk about some of the platforms that are being reviewed by the 21st century longhunter disscussion group. these platforms are break action rifles ir shotguns that can be broken down and are very packable and be highly versitile.

i went to the gun show today, with the full intention of finding and purchasing both platforms.

here they are.

Picture047.jpg

the H&R single shot Break Action 12 ga. shotgun. 3" modified choke... this is a must for using this platform as a BP muzzleloader. this is the gun that dave has chosen after doing his field research. there are several mod being worked on, like slings and extra storage in the stock. one gentleman has routed out a space on the side of his stock for a Altoids tin / patch box, to keep shooting supplies and gun maintenence parts. pretty cool, very versitile and can be found for a common mans price everywhere guns are sold.

and

Picture048.jpg

the CZ/Springfield M-6 Scout. this was originally a airmans rifle, that was put into ejection seats with the rest of a E&E kit. even today many bush pilots in alaska carry this weapon as part of thier survival / self reliance gear. this lil pack rilfe for all intensive purposes, is a .22lr / .410 over and under. it also has storage for 10x .22lr and 4x .410 shotgun shells, as seen here.

Picture049.jpg

cool thing is i can take a empty .410 and fill one with a mini fire kit, or with a mini fishing kit. also getting a wing nut that will fit the pin hole is a good idea near the break action. then if you ever loose the pin that holds the barrel to the reciver, you have a back up. having extra maintenence part is crucial.

here are some vids by D. Canterbury, who started the 21st Century Longhunter Project. one on the H&R and another on the M-6...

enjoy.

Springfield M-6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKI3E-8TLW0

H&R break action single shot shotgun as a improvised black powder muzzle loader
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES59LtA7XE8

sub caliber inserts for H&R
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_f7C4ogORs

now i know there are other choices... like the AR-7, or the marlin pappoose. but i just dont like the construction materials and shoddy build of those platforms.

one of the Pathfinder Instructors, Chance Saunders has a new product comming out, that i am not quite at liberty to divulge, but i am told i will be doing a full field test and review of this product, and i feel it will put the M-6 to shame. please stay tuned to this thread for more info as i can release it on this matter.

paint update and some mods i am thinking on doing...

part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7-0pSNF3MU&feature=youtu.be

part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NuLS7ec3zM&feature=youtu.be

enjoy and stay tuned more to come!

thanks for your views, comments and support.

Re: 21st Century LongHunter Project.

kinda odd to see a thread here get over 100 views and not one person has said a thing about this.

i dont know if its just not valuable info?

or

maybe no one likes me here?

i dunno, i saw that you guys were starting to talk about wilderness self reliance issues and subjects.

just thought i would contribute a little.

More of us should be. Most on here probably don't go out into the woods without 50 pounds of gear myself included. Ghillie you have some nice ideas thanks for the ideas..

Don't be hard on yourself. It's also the holidays... Folks are busy spending time with family.

I like the thread: interesting stuff. I'm curious about the "Chance Saunders product" that, in your opinion, will put the M-6 to shame. ?

I'm a fan of accurate, durable, and easily packable weapons. Bullpups, Nemesis Arms EDM type rifles, even the Kel-Tec Sub-2000...

I've got this thread on my Watched Topics list. Thanks for starting it.

hey, thanks guy. was starting to get a little concerned.

i am really glad you enjoy my channel.

Have you all done any research in trapping techniques for a long range hunter.

good post ... more people probably intersted in this type of logic.

Great post to say the least! I love the idea/logic and have been messing around with some ideas for making a small fold up trail .22 with either a basket case marlin 795 (which I dont like for reliability) or an old remington 514 bolt .22. message me so I can bounce some ideas off you.

alright! now we got some discussion! i like it.

thank you all who have said they enjoy this post.

as for trapping, yes i do know many primitive traps, such as leg hold or strangle or dead-falls. i have several trigger methods i use like figure 4 or figure 7, promontory and toggle.

primitive trapping is illegal in most of the lower 48 so i only practice them i do not use them in the field.

as for modern trapping i do not have any or a license to use them.

@ clean miss. please feel free to email me with any questions about pack rifles, and i would be happy to assist you in your endeavor!

I found your post very interesting. I have always been interested in primitive survival skills. Thanks for the post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghillieman2011</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
one of the Pathfinder Instructors, Chance Saunders has a new product comming out, that i am not quite at liberty to divulge, but i am told i will be doing a full field test and review of this product, and i feel it will put the M-6 to shame. please stay tuned to this thread for more info as i can release it on this matter.
</div></div>

Is there some place online where I could follow any ongoing developments as to this project?

You've gotten me curious into this.

Any more info you can give?

i'd be interested in some recommendations for books on trapping and snaring. got something i should have a look at?

fyi the AR-7 is a neat idea but poorly built. Google a bit, you'll find MANY stories about how they are one of the biggest POS made. The older ones are better, from what I can tell.

I like the m6 myself, just never been a big fan of .410, but I see it's usefulness in this role. I like your idea of carrying survival gear in the stock in place of .410 shells. You could always carry more shells externally, even in a bandoleer sling or belt or what have you.

@ ArmaHeavy. i am sorry i have been sworn to secrecy of this project, until the final prototype has been finished. i am asking for permission to post the video i have now of this product, but until i receive conformation, i cannot post it without repercussion. because i want to do a full eval of it, i do not want to brake trust with its creator. i hope you understand....i value your intrest. please stay tuned for a further update.

as for the AR-7. it was manufactured by three different companies i believe. one was charter arms. these rifles built by them are the scourge of man. they totally suck...

on the other hand i must be fair, Henry rifles took over manufacture, and i believe they have solved many of the issues that charter was unable to or unwilling to do based off profit margins.

your mileage may vary with that platform, so i would avoid it at all costs.

YE Gentlemen and Ladies fair
whom grace this famous city,
Just listen, if you have time to spare,
while i rehearse this little ditty.
and for the opportunity
conceive yourselves quite lucky,
For tis not often here you see
A hunter from Kentucky.
Oh Kentucky,
the hunters of Kentucky
Oh Kentucky,
the hunters of Kentucky

We are a hardy, free born race,
Each man to fear a stranger
what'er the game we join in chase,
despite toil and danger
and if a daring foe annoys
what'er his strength or forces
we'll show them that Kentucky boys
are alligator - horses
Oh Kentucky,
the hunters of Kentucky
Oh Kentucky,
the hunters of Kentucky

I' Spose you've read it in the prints
how packenham attempted
to make ol Hickory Jackson wince,
but soon his scheme repented,
for we with rifles ready cock'd
thought such occasion lucky
and soon around the general flock'd
the hunters of Kentucky
Oh Kentucky,
the hunters of Kentucky
Oh Kentucky,
the hunters of Kentucky

you've heard I'spose, how New Orleans,
is famed for wealth and beauty
there is girls of every hue, it seems
from snowy white to sooty
so Packenham he made his brags
if in fight he was lucky
he would have their girls and cotton bags,
in spite of ol Kentucky
Oh Kentucky,
the hunters of Kentucky
Oh Kentucky,
the hunters of Kentucky

But jackson he was wide awake
and was'nt scar'd of triffles
for well he knew what aim we take
with our Kentucky rifles
so he led us to a cyprus swamp
the ground was low and mucky
there stood John Bull in martial pomp
and here was ol Kentucky
Oh Kentucky,
the hunters of Kentucky
Oh Kentucky,
the hunters of Kentucky

A bank was raise to hide our breast
not that we thought of dying
but that we always take a rest
unless the game is flying.
behind it stood our little force
none wish'd it to be greater
for every man was half horse
and half an alligator
Oh Kentucky,
the hunters of Kentucky
Oh Kentucky,
the hunters of Kentucky

They did not let their patience tire
before they'd show their faces
we did not chose to waste our fire
so snugly kept our places
but when so near we saw them wink
we thought it time to stop em
and it would have done you good, i think
too see Kentucky drop'em
Oh Kentucky,
the hunters of Kentucky
Oh Kentucky,
the hunters of Kentucky

They found at last t'was vain to fight
where lead was all their booty
and so they wisely took to flight
and left us all the beauty
and now if danger annoys
remeber what our trade is
just send for us Kentucky boys
and we'll protect ye ladies!
Oh Kentucky,
the hunters of Kentucky
Oh Kentucky,
the hunters of Kentucky!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsRK3DNoa_Q

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghillieman2011</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@ ArmaHeavy. i am sorry i have been sworn to secrecy of this project, until the final prototype has been finished. i am asking for permission to post the video i have now of this product, but until i receive conformation, i cannot post it without repercussion. because i want to do a full eval of it, i do not want to brake trust with its creator. i hope you understand....i value your intrest. please stay tuned for a further update.

as for the AR-7. it was manufactured by three different companies i believe. one was charter arms. these rifles built by them are the scourge of man. they totally suck...

on the other hand i must be fair, Henry rifles took over manufacture, and i believe they have solved many of the issues that charter was unable to or unwilling to do based off profit margins.
</div></div>

The reason I ask is because I did have an interest in purchasing a Henry AR-7. The price of it is right, but there are not that many other options out there. Yes, I can see the plastic breaking quicker than an all metal rifle, but what else is there?

You can always shoot me a PM. Hell, if Chance is making something that drops my jaw then I might be the first person to buy one.

Interesting.
Perhaps, if the hollow tube in the stock had an ID of >1", then you could store a suppresor in there. The extra room could hold some Gatling-barrel-style "straws" for ammo storage. You could add a picatinny rail to the left side of the receiver, too. Make/acquire a sturdy female-to-female picatinny attachment to QD the barrel to the receiver via one of its existing rails. Then, all parts are attached in a single compact device. Add dust caps for each end of the barrel (preferably that fit quietly in the stock tube once the suppressor is removed), and a dustcap for the receiver whete the barrel goes (store it where the steel wool is in the video?), and you've got a minimalist means to keep everything together. And, the left side rail is another place to add a flashlight/iPhone/tv/etc...
smile.gif

yea, i am waiting for chance to get a new prototype down, then once he has some other particulars dialed in on peripheral devices, like the stow away gear.

he will be sending me a model to do a full test and review, and i will get a much closer look at it.

i know its basically a 10/22 with a teludyne bull barrel and a folding stock.

but i feel its a great concept, although i tried as hard as i could to steer him to a savage bolt action over the 10/22... it is what it is.

very versitile.

the last chance will be a great new product on the market and give a few companies that have had the market tied up a good run for their money.

Pretty cool. Looking foreword to am update.