• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22-250 for f class match

Re: 22-250 for f class match

Only if you like being frustrated.

Re: 22-250 for f class match

No help for you yet. I am having my 22-250 Sendero rebarreled with a 8.5 twist Brux barrel. Faster twist will let me shoot the heavier bullets. I don't shoot F class but I want to use it in local 600yd matches. Should pick the gun up in mid September. Like stated above, that 1:12 will frustrate you at distance.

Hog

Giggle...

Been down the same path - years ago, I bought a Rem 700 VS (1-14") and when I'd put about 5K through it - realised I wanted (needed?) a new barrel.
I wanted something heavier for distance and wind, but still wanted the speedy 50-55 gn BT's to do their thing...

You know, compromise.

So, I put a 1:11.5 Truflight barrel on it about 10 years back...
But, it's just the wrong twist for anything serious at long distance.
Basically, just about the only slippery bullet you can use is the 60gn Nosler BT.

Have to check my records, but IIRC, the 69 HPMK keyholed.
And there's nothing much else you can use above 55 gns (happy to be shown something, but...)
(Not counting gamekings or very open HP bullets).

But with the 60 gn BT, I took it out and was doing fairly consistent head shots on silhouette targets at 600 meters a few weeks ago (rain/snow/wind), plenty accurate, but not the smartest of moves. To be fair, my requirements have moved on - I was doing a lot more varmint shooting then, and more long-distance target now.

If it was today - I'd be looking at 80+ gns and twists around 7 or 8 with >3100 fps

With a 1in 12 twist you are stuck with 55-60gr. max. on your bullet and will greatly dissappoint you at distance with any wind at all.

I would run my 22-250 in any competition but it is purpose built for long range. It's a Savage 12 action with a McGowen 26" bull barrel with 1:8 twist. It sits in an XLR chassis with a Vortex PST on it. I'm shooting the 80g A-Max in Lapua brass - Power Pro 2000MR powder - BR2 primer. My Magnetospeed say's 3215 FPS with my latest load with an ES of 15. I verified this with consistent hits on an 18" steel target at 1025 yards. I was right around 24 MOA. The best part is no recoil. I can see my hits and shoot it all day with fatigue. It's a tad heavy in the XLR with the fat barrel though. I did have it fluted which dropped a lb. It's by far my favorite rifle. I love the reaction on the line when other shooters ask what caliber. 22-250! :cool:

I saw a guy try this a couple months ago at a local match. In a light (5-10mph) twitchy fishtail at 600 yards, he was all over the target. Not even a prayer of competing.

Now, if you put a really fast twist and used 90 grain bullets, you might have a shot. But basically, you're in the "for the hell of it" range.

The only way of being slightly competitive would be to run 90g VLD's fast , around 3200 to 3300 if possible ( I can do this out of my 22-243 Middlestead ) but it will be hell'ish on barrels .