• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22-250 remington rifles heavy bullets?

Prebanpaul

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Akron Ohio Summit
I have a 22-250 stainless fluted Sendero, that is a tack driver. My problem is that is with 55grn bullets. I am looking to shoot bullets around 70 grains either amax or sierra.

My issue is that the twist from my understanding is most likely a 1-14 twist so I am lost even where to start. Is there any one else out there shooting standard Remington barrels with heavier bullets.

Plenty of guys out there shooting 22-250s with heavier bullets, just not with factory barrels. Either a 1x12" or 1x14" is pretty much standard for this caliber, and that's ideal for the 50-55 grain bullets that most shooters want to use. Moving up to the 69-70 grain range simply requires a faster twist rate to properly stablize these bullets. Sorry, but physics sets the rules here, and you just can't get around this simple fact with the slower twist rates.

Not a problem to get one rebarreled, and that gives you an entire range of choices to choose from. You could go 1x10" for the 69s, or step up to a 1x8" for the 77-82 grain bullets. Or even faster for the various 90 grain offerings, if you really want to stretch its legs.

About 3 decades ago, when I didn't know much about reloading, specifically barrel twist, I tried 69 grain bullets in a 1:14 twisted 22-250. It would have made a fair 100 yard deer rifle but that was about it. You can measure your twist with a simple cleaning rod and a patched jag. Pushe the jag into the muzzle about 2 inches or so. Mark the rod even with the muzzle. Make another mark near the rods handle that is "top dead center". Push the rod in until the top dead center mark makes one full turn. Mark the rod again where it's at at the muzzle. The distance between the two marks on the rod is your twist in inches.

If you are 1:12 or 1:14 don't waste your time or money on heavy bullets.....

Prebanpaul,

Do what Tripwire advised to find out your twist. It is most likely a 1:12" or 1:14", therefore will like 50 to 55 gr. bullets. My Savage .22-250 loved 55 gr. SGKs SPBT and had a muzzle velocity of 3780 fps on top of 36.0 gr. of Varget. After 1500 rounds the throat erosion was bad enough that when I seated the bullet .224 in the case I had .080" jump to the lands. I purchased a Shilen 1:8" twist and am working up a load for 75 gr. A-maxes. So far so good. The higher the powder charge the better it has been shooting.

I'm shooting Sierra 63 grain SMP out of my HB Rem 700. Very, very good from my rifle. I've gotten a couple groups at 200 yards that were .500".

I'm shooting Sierra 63 grain SMP out of my HB Rem 700. Very, very good from my rifle. I've gotten a couple groups at 200 yards that were .500".

Yep, I know of a few 22-250's that have done well with Sierra's 63gn Semi-pointed soft point. It is a flat base bullet, so it is a much shorter profile than a boat-tail and thus stabilizes easier , and does admirably well in the 1/14 factory bls. At 22-250 speeds, its a wreck on whitetails. Having said that, be selective with bullet placement. Try to tuck it in behind the shoulder rather than through it. Of course I always put it at the base of the skull and it usually left a softball sized exit hole.