• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22-250 to 6XC...pros and cons?

turbo54

Mr. 7mm
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2010
Michigan
So I picked up a 6XC rifle to hold me over until my new 6SLR match rifle is complete.

I might point out that one of the key reasons I chose the 6SLR is because it is just 243win brass, with a trip through the sizing die. I'm sick of losing difficult-to-replace brass at matches.

Anyway, I've got 300pcs of new Norma 6XC brass to go with the interim rifle, but I'm not looking forward to losing $1/piece once fired brass at my upcoming matches.

I know that 6xc can be formed from 22-250 brass. From my research, it seems like the best method is to machine down a 308 die and use it to "pre-bump" the shoulder a little, and then run it into the 6xc die. It of course still needs to be fireformed...

...which leads me to my questions:

Is that going to be more pain in the ass than it's worth? I have a Dillon 650, so I'm not concerned with the effort of cycling 1000pcs of 22-250 through with the appropriate die settings, I'm referring to doing load development twice, keeping the brass separated until it's all FF'd, etc etc...

What will the velocity difference be between FFing and FF'd loads?

What is the difference in velocity between Norma 6XC brass and Winchester 22-250 brass (once FF'd), assuming same bullet and equal pressure? I guess that's another way of asking what the difference in case capacity is between the two...

Assuming reasonable pressure, say ~62ksi or so, moderate resizing (FLSing with ~.002" bump), and occasional annealing, how many shots can I expect to get from the Norma vs. Winchester brass?

Should I just buy a mess of Norma brass and forget about it?

do nothing more than buy win 22-250 brass, run it through a die and go shoot it. done. I have Norma and I let my son shoot it for f class matches. Its ok, but I have had too many issues with non win brass in the 6xc to mess with it any more. the win works great, easy and cheaper. simple.
cant tell you how many shots you will get out of the win brass as I am still going on my first batch that I have used since 2004