• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22" 260 Loading Questions

BlackWhiskey

USMC
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2009
Salt Lake County, Utah
I just received a 22" 260 that I plan on using in tactical matches (specifically the 24hr Sniper Adventure Challenge). I went for a bit shorter barrel to save on weight, and I am aware that it will limit or perhaps prevent me from reaching 2900fps. I am wondering now if I should shoot some of the lighter 6.5 bullets to get higher velocities, or the heavies to get the higher BC.

The other question I have is about powders: In this match I will be shooting at elevations from 5000' to 7600' asl, as well as in temperatures ranging from 60* to 100*. Which powder do you recommend (in combination with your recommended bullet) that has temperature stability as well as a burn rate that will get me the velocities I need?

Thank you for your help,

Cory

Re: 22" 260 Loading Questions

I always go for the heavies, and H4350 is the powder of choice IMHO, I tried H4831sc but didn't see it do anything better than H4350.

Re: 22" 260 Loading Questions

In Michigan with my 24" Savage I shoot the 139 Lapua that I moly. My gun shoots them well using 42.3 gr. of VV550 fired by CCI BR-2s. That is running about 2850 fps.