• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22/45

Re: 22/45

mine shoots great. it'll shoot ragged holes at 50' if i do my part. it's capable of amazing accuracy if you have it on a rest.

Mine shoots great. I use it for backup while bowhunting.
A little trigger work and you should be good to go.
Ck. out rimfirecentral: a whole forum for the 22/45.

Coach

I want one someday but for now my MKI and II will get me by.

Somebody here posted pics of one that had been modified to accept 1911 grip panels. It was really nice looking.

I love mine. I fired over 5000 rounds through it in 2009 alone, it probably has close to 25k through it since I got it in 2002. Every coupla bricks that go through it I really have to clean it because it turns into an autojammer instead of an auto loader.

The pistol is an excellent training tool and extremely accurate. I routinely use it offhand at 100y to drill a 12" plate with the factory sights. I've shot it out to 185y with offhand and open sights, 3 mags in a row I hit 8, 9, 8 of 10 on a 55gal drum lid. My dad lost a case of home brewed beer on that bet.

If you get one and decide you don't like it, send me a PM, I'll probably buy it from you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlc356</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want one someday but for now my MKI and II will get me by.

Somebody here posted pics of one that had been modified to accept 1911 grip panels. It was really nice looking. </div></div>

Are you sure that the one that was converted to take 1911 grip panels wasn't the newest version that Ruger is offering now? The updated it to be more like the 1911 than it was before

http://ruger.com/products/2245ReplaceablePanels/index.html

Yeah, it was at least a year if not a little more ago. I remember it because it really caught my attention. After the pics were posted someone asked about the process and he broke it down. IIRC, the factory checkering was sanded down, then drilled/tapped the frame so the 1911 grip bushings would work.

Thanks for the link. I had not seen the new one yet.

Here is one I did a little to.

Changed the barrel from a 5 1/2 to 6 7/8 Government target
Drilled and tapped for the base
Trigger Job w/ Clark steel trigger
Milled the frame for the 1911 grips
relieved under the trigger guard
P1020796.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SilverBack7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how did you get a new barrel? </div></div>

unscrew old barrel and screw new one in. the ones i've swapped out have been damned tight.

After market uppers for the MKll MKlll will fit a 22/45??

I like the 22/45. My target models shoot a little better but are much heavier. It is hard to beat as a light carry gun for the woods/fishing/etc. The new model with replaceable panels is really nice....you can put on any 1911 grip side that suits you. I put a Burris Fast Fire on my 22/45 and it makes a great little package and is small and light enough for my kids to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phideaux</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> unscrew old barrel and screw new one in. the ones i've swapped out have been damned tight. </div></div>

I always thought the barrels were press fit, guess you learn something new all the time.

I got my 22/45 about eleven years ago. It was a Davidson's limited edition with the 6 7/8" slabside competition target barrel. (This one has a three digit serial number.)

All I did with mine was to polish the sides of everything that rubbed against anything else as well as all the pins, chamfered the holes, buffed some Tetra lube into the lot, and ended up with a nice two pound trigger that's as safe as the day it left the factory (didn't touch the sear).

With a scope aboard, it is capable of groups that I'm hesitant to recounted here lest I get called a bullshitter. It eats subsonic, standard velocity, high velocity, hypervelocity, solids, hollow points, truncated cones, etc. with aplomb.

I have yet to shoot the Mark III, but based on mine, I consider the 22/45 a "best buy" in the shooting world.

2010vaca267.jpg

Love mine. It's the same model Noah posted.
3344958774_10421bd6d3_o.jpg

3413259840_7e0b7303c0_o.jpg

Got tired of the "tacticool" look. It looks like this now..

4112182743_51ec13b474_o.jpg

It's easier to replace the upper than it is to have a new barrel attached to the receiver. There is a market for these as a lot of people change theirs out with aftermarket parts.

The 22/45 lower now has a MK II 10" barreled upper on it. I'm in the process of Duracoating the lower (AUG Green). Rebluing the upper and mounting a scope. It's gona be sweeet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SilverBack7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, so how does one go bout unscrewing one and buying another </div></div>

If you contact the companies that do barrel conversions on the Ruger pistols you stand a good chance of scoring a used barrel.

Clark Custom Guns runs specials from time to time to sell off their pull offs. They also sell custom barrels that can be fitted.

Be aware, the threads on factory barrels are not timed so there are no guarantees that barrels will interchange without gunsmithing involved.

I have no experience with the 22/45 but if they are anything like the mkII they are great. The mkII is my favorite handgun.

nnedsand08,

What prep work did you do to your 22/45 and what paint did you use? I love the look of that but I'm thinking more of an OD color.

I want to get my barrel threaded. Has anyone gotten this done and have advice whether it was worth it?

Thanks,
Ripsnort

I love my 22/45. I use a Tactical Solutions PacLite upper with fiber front sight and a SilencerCo 22Sparrow suppressor. Very accurate little handgun. Back when I was selling suppressors I used it as my primary demo weapon. I stopped keeping track of the round count when I hit 40K. Still going plenty strong and plenty accurate.

Mark

I couldn't resist. I had to drag the 22/45 and Mark2 out of the safe for a quick picture. The 22/45 has a PacLite upper with fiber sight. Light & laser is a TRL-2. This little guy has been a camp gun for years too. ;-)

The Mark2 was threaded by a local guy who was once doing really good stuff then started turning out not so good stuff. I stopped referring people to him years ago. Too bad as he was a nice guy. I replaced the front sight on the Mark2 with a TacSol hi-viz fiber one. I wanted to try the red version on it and can tell you I for sure like the green sight better. My eyes pick up the green much better than red and the red sometimes washes out in really bright light.

Silencers are a SilencerCo 22Sparrow (my favorite!!!) and an AAC Element on the Mark2. Both are awesome suppressors and perform well on the handguns.

rugerPistolsSuppressedLarge.jpg

If you want 1911ish in a 22, check out the new GSG 1911. Handled one yesterday, *very* nice and much better feeling than the Chiappa 22. Mags are a little more than ruger or buckmark mags, but still much less than colt ace mags, etc.

Mine wears a $30 red dot and gets used mostly to introduce new shooters to the sport. So equipped, every person who has picked it up has shot very well with it.

They're cheap, dependable and pretty accurate. I like mine a lot.

Another 6 7/8" Competition Target Model. Very accurate and reliable. I've been shooting this for 13 years or so. Wife enjoys shooting it too.

2245.jpg

P3210102.jpg

CopyofP3210096.jpg

Just bought one on Friday, shot great right out of the box. Going to add some aftermarket grips and maybe a red dot scope. Shot amazingly accurate with iron sights

I really like my 22/45. Just beware not all of them are drilled and tapped for a scope base from the factory.

I have the slab sides barrel with the 3 dot sights and it's not drilled and tapped.

I love mine, when I was shooting my 1911 a lot, I used the 22/45 as a trainer because it has the same grip angle as the 1911. I had some issues with plain lead bullets not feeding right, but any plated round would function properly.

I used mine as a trainer for my wife. She like shooting the .22.

Cci minimags and federal bulk all run well in mine.