• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 AR rifle.. Colt the best choice?

devildawg2531

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2013
USA
For dedicated 22 AR Rifles what is the best choice in terms of reliability and accuracy? Looking at the Colt but they have had so many changes in recent years not sure how they stack up. Looking for a dedicated 22 AR vs a conversion gun. Thanks!

S&W MP15-22s just run, good mags, inexpensive. Light and don't feel like a real AR. Upper and lower don't come apart for easier cleaning.
PSA Dedicated upper. Black Dog mags are OK, but unreliable LRBHO. "Bonnie packer' mod allows use of excellent M&P mags and LRBHO. Charging handle needs to be filled in to keep ejected rounds from hanging up.

Wish I had tried.
JP Enterprises
Tac-Sol
CMMG upper

To me, ammo makes the gun. As heavy and as fast as you can get it. 40Gr, plated (not lubed) at over supersonic speeds. So a 40gr at 1250 or so. Makes the gun recycle faster.

For dedicated 22 AR Rifles what is the best choice in terms of reliability and accuracy? Looking at the Colt but they have had so many changes in recent years not sure how they stack up. Looking for a dedicated 22 AR vs a conversion gun. Thanks!
Colt .22 AR is made under license by Umarex. Think of it as an airsoft chassis with pot metal innards.
How much accuracy are you looking for? You may be better off with a Kidd 10/22.
If you're set on a .22 AR, build your own using the CMMG dedicated bolt. Get this mag catch (https://arcatch22.com/) and their magwell spacers, and you can use MP15-22 magazines with last round hold open. There are barrels from other makers that work with the CMMG bolt collar if for some reason you don't want to use a CMMG barrel.
One thing I find with the CMMG bolt is that I can use a lightly-sprung drop-in trigger and get reliable function even with standard velocity ammo.

Tippmann

Attachments

• IMG_6213.jpg
    IMG_6213.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: bulldozer3
Colt .22 AR is made under license by Umarex. Think of it as an airsoft chassis with pot metal innards.
How much accuracy are you looking for? You may be better off with a Kidd 10/22.
If you're set on a .22 AR, build your own using the CMMG dedicated bolt. Get this mag catch (https://arcatch22.com/) and their magwell spacers, and you can use MP15-22 magazines with last round hold open. There are barrels from other makers that work with the CMMG bolt collar if for some reason you don't want to use a CMMG barrel.
One thing I find with the CMMG bolt is that I can use a lightly-sprung drop-in trigger and get reliable function even with standard velocity ammo.
^^^ This
I own Colt 22 AR and CMMG conversion w/FA trip and weight that I have run in various AR15 upper/barrel length combos.
Both run well with a variety of ammo BUT I agree with kl3309, the Colt just feels cheap, light and air-softish...which makes sense after reading about Umarex.
I recommend CMMG route. Subsonic Ammo suppressed is the only thing I found finicky in CMMG. Mine loves Gemtech sub, Norma sub, CCI sub, Fed American Eagle sub with nearly no hang ups but had hang ups in FA with Anguilla 60gr sub.

I’ll attach pics with velocities just as FYI if anyoneis interested. 12.5” BA govt profile barrel and non-adjustmentable Geissele has block. SiCo Sparrow suppressor.

3613AAE1-E3DD-4C6D-AFD7-6C3F50C17120.jpeg

Attachments

• 0C338733-C625-4342-A54D-B8AF3C4F7B18.jpeg
    0C338733-C625-4342-A54D-B8AF3C4F7B18.jpeg
    481.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 317EB241-F34C-4C6C-AEC3-EF5AD6A3D04C.jpeg
    317EB241-F34C-4C6C-AEC3-EF5AD6A3D04C.jpeg
    602.8 KB · Views: 37
  • A6E49EAA-8B4B-4B30-B66F-220BBD8E5239.jpeg
    A6E49EAA-8B4B-4B30-B66F-220BBD8E5239.jpeg
    535.8 KB · Views: 37
  • AD2EA7F2-2C38-4CBF-99DE-5BFE66248B0A.jpeg
    AD2EA7F2-2C38-4CBF-99DE-5BFE66248B0A.jpeg
    571.1 KB · Views: 33
MP15-22 upper and lower separate just like any AR.

Well, I’ll be danged, I had read that somewhere and never tried to push them out. Thought it was done to keep from swapping rf and cf uppers and lowers. It seems the Front pin on the 15-22 Is too big, and the rear reunion is to wide to allow a 15-22 to mount on an standrad AR. Thanks for mentioning that. makes cleaning them A lot easier.

Colt no longer produces an AR 15 that is for the open market. They are manufacturing for the military only. This happened about 2 years ago.

What you get today is something licensed to another company. Not Colt.

Another vote for Tippmann m4-22. I have the elite model. About perfect to replicate a centerfire AR. Extremely consistent shooter with various ammo types.

Colt no longer produces an AR 15 that is for the open market. They are manufacturing for the military only. This happened about 2 years ago.

What you get today is something licensed to another company. Not Colt.
You know that this is about .22 lr rifles, right?

Reactions: devildawg2531
I have an older 22 upper made by Spikes, who I believe might have infringed a little on the Tactical Solutions patent. It is virtually the same as the present Tac-Sol. It's great, feels just like a regular AR upper. I've set it up as a copy of my 3-Gun upper and just swap on that lower for cheap practice.

John at Keystone Accuracy built me a 22rf AR a few years ago based on Mega upper and lower and a Benchmark 2 groove barrel, CMMG 'action' but solid receiver end of barrel, not the floating collar arrangement.

Silly accurate with basic CCI AR ammo and very reliable.

Had John turn the barrel slightly larger dia than normal to balance the heavy stock I wanted to use. With the spacers M&P mags work well with the Catch 22 hold open catch, more reliable than the Better mag

No issues with function using the Milazzo - Krieger A2 NM trigger

John does very good work, good communication during build etc. :cool:

NB light on rifle is for indoor move and shoot comps in the dark at local range = big grin!

ar 22rf.jpg

Reactions: devildawg2531
John at Keystone Accuracy built me a 22rf AR a few years ago based on Mega upper and lower and a Benchmark 2 groove barrel, CMMG 'action' but solid receiver end of barrel, not the floating collar arrangement.

Silly accurate with basic CCI AR ammo and very reliable.

Had John turn the barrel slightly larger dia than normal to balance the heavy stock I wanted to use. With the spacers M&P mags work well with the Catch 22 hold open catch, more reliable than the Better mag

No issues with function using the Milazzo - Krieger A2 NM trigger

John does very good work, good communication during build etc. :cool:

NB light on rifle is for indoor move and shoot comps in the dark at local range = big grin!

View attachment 7449036
You lucked out 'cause he's stopped doing 'em.

Kl3309

Did not know that - better keep hold of this one then! ;)

Depends on your price range, but for the cost of the Colt I would seriously consider the M&p22, like someone said it just runs and I’ve never had an issue with the accuracy.

Reactions: GONE BAD
For a dedicated .22 AR that is still in production and has been around long enough to have a track record: M&P 15-22 is the answer.

15-22 mags are top notch.

Accuracy out of all the ones I've shot has been somewhere between good and amazing.

Reliability has been 100% out of mine (thousands of rounds, integrally suppressed, not cleaned that often).

Like mine so much, I picked up a second one so I could use it in steel challenge and such if I wanted.

Also, a red dot and a 10 round mag turn it into a fantastic squirrel rifle!

I have a kriss defiance 22. Damn near same weight as an AR, can use any upper you want. Reliable with CCI SV, but not rem golden bullet. Mag locks bolt back and stays back. I have about 3000 rounds thru mine. The firing pin did break but I bought a few spares.

I built mine to mirror my 556.

I got an M&P 15/22 a few years ago.
It is great. Put a cheapo scope with turrets on it and shot out to 300 yards.
My grandkids always want to shoot it.
I think the kids need to know how to operate an AR style firearm!
I just gave it to one of my grandsons and he thinks its the greatest 😉
In time I'll probably get one for each of them.
It's the easiest rf22 for kids and the bolt holds open on the last round, huge plus for kids!

I have a Rainer Arms RUC .22 upper, that I occasionally put on my KAC lower for fun. Runs like a top with standard velocity ammo, but it does struggle with slower velocity stuff (such as CCI shorts and the like), which is probably due to not having an optimal buffer weight for that ammo. Federal suppressor ammo and prime .22 runs through it excellently.

It's more of a "fun gun" then anything I use for precision, it has a red dot on it, so I can't comment on accuracy. At some point I should probably get a dedicated lower for it, but I've been impressed and have had a lot of fun with it so far.

Another vote for Tippmann. I bought one recently as a trainer due to ammo cost/availability.

Same weight and controls as ar. Can use ar15 parts.. stock, grip, handguard etc.

Has lrhb and mags are very good quality.

Gun is more accurate than the 15-22 I had an well.. just as reliable, no issues with almost 1k rounds in the last month