• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 at 200 yards its a blast!!!!

Mag 300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 31, 2006
    Downers Grove Illinois
    had a chance to use a new anschutz 22 and get it out to 200 yards these are amazing and really a hell of a lot of fun as a trainer

try it you will like it and its unreal how good they shoot

Bill

Re: 22 at 200 yards its a blast!!!!

i'm feelin your joy, i never thought i'd get "my rocks off" on rimfires, but here i am "offin' my rocks".

fraction of the price and double the fun.

wait until you get "used" to the rifle and the groups start shrinking more.

It is great fun, Bill. I just finished watching a 1000 yard sniper shot on 'Extreme Marksman' on History International.

All along through the show I'm thinking in my mind about getting out as soon as some decent weather gets here so I can shoot my MK II-FVT w/ Mil-Dot scope again out to 200 yards...

This game really plays on one's interests and gets in your mind set.

It is great fun!
    smile.gif

I'm looking forward to stretching out to 300. 200 is fun, i'm hoping 300 will make me giggle like a little girl each time I send the next round.

The long delay between firing, watching the round hit, and then the light 'ting' always makes me giggle, i love it.

Branden

.22 Long Rifle Mini Palma is highly regarded by many as great off-season training for 1,000-yard highpower.

The effect of wind on a 40-grain round nose is said to closely mimic that on a .308 155 Sierra Match King. Use the NRA highpower 200-yard target and you're in for some wicked fun and valuable sustainment training.

I often shoot out to 230 yds at clay targets, it is really a blast. I am now going to place golf balls on top of tees at that distance. The berm I shoot at is perfect for this.

200 yards with a 22LR is a kick in the pants. It is similar to shooting centerfire at 800, except you can see the target (and the bullet holes) and you don't have to walk the additional 3/4 of a mile to set up and collect your target. Bonus!

Oh, and no reloading and it is cheaper per shot. I'm just sayin'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking forward to stretching out to 300. 200 is fun, i'm hoping 300 will make me giggle like a little girl each time I send the next round.

The long delay between firing, watching the round hit, and then the light 'ting' always makes me giggle, i love it.

Branden </div></div>

at 300y it takes 1 second or so for the round to hit the target, then 1 second or so for the sound to come back.

[edit, 1x]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">200 yards with a 22LR is a kick in the pants. It is similar to shooting centerfire at 800, except you can see the target (and the bullet holes) and you don't have to walk the additional 3/4 of a mile to set up and collect your target. Bonus!

Oh, and no reloading and it is cheaper per shot. I'm just sayin'. </div></div>

There has been a number of posts describing the scale of .22 to .308; both windage and elevation data. The silhouette targets are 1/5 scale I think. However when I compare "difficulty" of the shot, I am finding that 4X is a good rule of thumb. Shooting a group at 50 yds rimfire is like my .308 at 200. I find the amount of preparation and difficulty of a .22 at 200 to be very much like an 800 yd shot with my .308.

I am a grad student, and with work and studies I just don't have time to shoot long range center fire. The 22 at 200 has really been a great substitute for me. I still run some .308, but clays at a quarter mile is as good as it gets for now.

My one range only goes to 200 for bench then into the high powered targets. will save that for summer laying in slush here right not is not going to get it.

Bill

Damn it. I wish I still had a 300 yard range. Now I moved and all I have locally is a 100 yard range. Gotta scale everything down. It's ok but not anywhere as fun or as challenging as the real thing. Manatee goes out to 1000 but it's an hour away. Have fun!!

I joined a range with a 200yd mark just for this purpose... So is it wrong to shoot at 12" Action figures at 200 to simulate a 5' tall bad guy at 1000?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: quickstealth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I joined a range with a 200yd mark just for this purpose... So is it wrong to shoot at 12" Action figures at 200 to simulate a 5' tall bad guy at 1000? </div></div>

To me it wouldn't be at our local Range, but your Range may have some different ideas on it? I guess check and see if they have any objections.

Bonnie started shooting her high power 200 yard matches with a 22lr and some of the guys at our club continue to use them at 200 by choice! In fact, I built several rifles in .22lr especially for 200 competition. It's a great sport and very challenging!

One club we belong to doesn't allow shooting at clays. Someone always brings some out to the range anyway. I like to take the pieces and keep hitting them until they become dust.

Flash

im hosting a 200 yd rimfire comp in a month or so. its not much of a comp just about 20-30 people killing a day with some long range rimfire.

alot of folks think 200 yds with a rimfire is easy. those folks are in for a rude awakening. im shooting a 22 mag but with a 2mph full value wind i think i had 3 minutes adjustment at 200 yds. i cant remember for sure ill look at my dope book.

I wish that someone would get something together in the KC area in the way of a tactical rimfire match. There is one at Big Piney, just over 4 hrs away, but it'd be nice to have something that was much closer to KC.

I could likely organize something myself, however i'm not sure that I could effectively organize without ever having been to one first, and talking to the organizers to find out the logistics of pulling it off, the behind the scenes stuff that is.

Branden

I have been shooting the rimfire for years now, I had to give up all things centerfire a few years ago due to my neck.

Just recently bought a savage MKII BTVS. I got the 25MOA scope rail from rimfire technologies.

I live right in the middle of nothing but rice and bean fields. I had a friend over today and we were set up at my bench just having a blast. There are always stuff in these fields anything from a soda can, to toys or even balls.

I just got the BTVS put together with a new VARMINT scope from tasco and havent shot it yet so i got it out along with Wolf Match Target. I didnt put out any bullseye targets because of the fields still being so muddy. So i just FIELD ZEROED it, found a rock, a small one at that and shot till i got it dead on. I must say, i barely had to move the up adjustment to reach the zero, and when i put the range finder on it it came back 165 yards! I couldnt believe it so i walked out there, and ranged back to my chair, 165 yards, and I was aiming dead on.

Well alongside of this field runs a gravel road, no one travels down this road and i have no neighbors at all. So i just started picking out things along this road and hitting them. I was amazed that i could actually dial a scope dead on over 100 with a .22.

My friend had left, so i spent the whole afternoon, shooting and ranging with my BTVS. Now way on down in the middle of the road was a KILDEE(SP) This little bird was just sitting there a ways past where i had just shot a can. So I went down past the last mil dot, and where the post meets from thin to thick, I put it right under the little bird. Slowly squeezed of the round, and I was just totally surprised the little bird did a little quick dance and died. So i walked down the road to where the bird was, it was good center shot, and i Lasered back to my chair i was sitting in and it came up 274 yards!

So yeah i was very excited about todays shooting session. I was just as much SURPRISED to say the least.

I think tomorrow i just may set up some Targets and see about setting the zero to 200.

Sorry so long, just waiting on the deer burgers to get done rofl so i can eat supper

Bonnie & I pretty serious about rimfire at 200 so we switched to .17HMR. That round is almost too accurate to be a challenge at 200! We still bring out the .22 LR for fun, though.

Flash