• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 caliber cleaning rod and jag, too large diameter for patches?

Long Range

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2014
I'm using a tipton 22 caliber carbon fiber cleaning rod and a Tipton 22 caliber Jag for my ar15.

I have to use very tiny cleaning patches on my ar15 or they will get stuck. The diameter of the tipton cleaning rod is almost the size of the bore.

If I use 22 caliber cleaning patches for ar15 they get stuck in the barrel. I have to use rim fire tiny cleaning patches for .17 to .20 or something for them to work in 5.56 ar15 barrel.

I can't use a smaller jag because the size below 22 caliber will not screw into my tipton cleaning rod as its smaller.

Is this normal or is something not sized correctly? Should the cleaning rod be almost the same size as the bore?

I also find I have to use smaller jags then the caliber of the barrel to use many patches or they will get stuck.

I have run into the same problem occasionally depending on either the manufacturer of the jag or the patches I was using.
You can polish the jag down slightly or try a different jag or switch patches.
The jag that came with my Dewey 30 cal rod wouldn't work with the shooters choice flannel patches I was using same problem as you to damn tight in the bore.

The common 1 1/4" square patches labeled "22 caliber" are for use with a loop not a jag. The do work fine wrapped around a Parker Hale style or a worn bore brush.

Round 1" to 1.1" are usually the best fit for a .22 jag IMO

It's a frustrating game at times, especially with .17's. Tipton patches should match their jag. I'd had good luck with Southern Bloomer patches

i switched over to using cleaning pellets..VFG makes them....they work very well and they seem to keep the rod nicely in line with the bore

here's a link to Brownells, other shops sell them as well. https://www.brownells.com/gun-clean...-pellets-50-bag-sku929000005-13839-33119.aspx

they do go on sale from time to time

i know Tipton makes some as well but i've not tried them

there are more aggressive subtypes also available but i've never tried them either.

i think the VFG pellets work well with bore cleaners, copper removers, application of bore bright if you're so inclined and also to wipe out any extra oil after storage and before shooting.

you do have to purchase the screw on adapter for the type of rod that you own..some have male ends, some have female ends for example.

the pellets are available in several different sizes to fit a wide variety of calibers.

Every rifle maker has different dimensions they use for the minimum and maximum diameters when they produce rifling. If you think about rifling design and the number and size of the grooves, the rifling designer is seeking a balance of bullet deformation within the rifling.

I have several 22 bore rifles and my 22 cleaning rod alone will not fit in two of them. Some might find it ironic that the smallest bores are actually my most accurate rifles.

I had to buy a .17 cal cleaning rod specifically to clean those two rifles.

Try spinning the jag in a dremel while holding a piece of oxide paper to reduce the diameter of the jag.
I have done it and it works.
Or try placing the patch off center and let it lay against the jag more.

Try spinning the jag in a dremel while holding a piece of oxide paper to reduce the diameter of the jag.
I have done it and it works.
Or try placing the patch off center and let it lay against the jag more.

That is actually what I did for the jag I use with my 17 cal cleaning rod.

I have a Tipton carbon fiber rod that I just tried for the first time in my 5.56, using a jag and a patch. It ended up so tightly wedged in there that I was really stressing about how I'd get it out.

I impaled the patch on the tip of the jag very close to the corner, to minimize surface area, but it wasn't enough to prevent problems.

I'm still concerned that I damaged my $300 DD barrel wrestling with that thing to get it out. I've decided to switch to Otis Ripcords.

Switch to a smaller diameter patch (1" round) or tape up the threads on your jag, chuck it up in a drill and use some wet and dry sandpaper to reduce the diameter.

It's not the jag it is the extra patch and the rod behind the jag. With KleenBore jags and patches and a Dewey rod I use the Kleenbore 7/8" patches. The .22 to .270 jam at rod in the throat of .22 rimfire and .233 bores. Just use the smaller patches and you're fine.

Reactions: Infidel01
Use different patches.

A few years ago I bought some thick patches from Brownells that were supposed be really great for tough crud. I tried to use one. If I had managed to drive one of those patches through the bore, I would have to use 0.5 mm larger bullets. Today I use these round patches. Jags cost money and barrels cost money. Patches are essentially free. Don't get hung up on the $10 you paid for the wrong patches. Get the right size patches.

Years ago I thought that a tight fitting patch was good for pushing crap out of the barrel. Not so. The patch carries or removes solvent or oil. You want it to slide freely and leave a nice sloppy trail of solvent. It should make your Dewey or Bore Tech rod spin on its bearings but it should be easy to push through the bore. The chemical itself and the brush do the heavy lifting.

Also, a tight-fitting patch makes you push hard and then the cleaning rod may flex and rub against the throat or the bore. This is A Bad Thing. Barrels cost too much to ruin this way.