• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 CM long throat

mjspeers

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2020
I just got a profit barrel back from my Defiance Ruckus action in 22 Creedmoor. I bought a Dave Manson reamer that they used. go gauge wouldn’t close, new brass was tight. Bumped the shoulders back just a hair and new brass chambers fine.

But when I went to check for seating depth, the 75 ELDms were outside of the case to reach the lands. Thoughts? I know 22CM is a wildcat meant for long 22 bullets, but I can’t imagine even 90s could reach the lands. Is this a botched chamber job?

Well you bought the reamer. What does your reamers freebore measure? Or do we just guess to give you an arbitrary answer?

Well you bought the reamer. What does your reamers freebore measure? Or do we just guess to give you an arbitrary answer?
I do not know that. I guess they had a standard reamer, the guy I spoke to said it would shoot 75s-90s fine. I didn’t get the print and don’t have the reamer back yet. Dave Manson doesn’t have it on their site.

You can email them and as for a copy. Ive attached their standard print below. Its unlikely they botched the leade of the reamer that much to cause a 75 to be out of the case. Any chance of a measuring error?

710CD845-AD8A-4588-A6FB-BFA97E805835.jpeg

I’ll recheck my measurements. Hornady gauges with an Alpha modified case. I don’t know how I could’ve screwed if up 3 times, but I’m sure it’s possible.

I shot it this morning, after a little barrel break in, looked like it wanted to start shooting fine. 3/4” or so. No pressure signs up to 40g of H4350. I may just keep at it and see how it goes.

I’ll recheck my measurements. Hornady gauges with an Alpha modified case. I don’t know how I could’ve screwed if up 3 times, but I’m sure it’s possible.

I shot it this morning, after a little barrel break in, looked like it wanted to start shooting fine. 3/4” or so. No pressure signs up to 40g of H4350. I may just keep at it and see how it goes.
You can take a rough measurement of the freebore with your caliper. Not a precise measurement. If the freebore on the reamer is long enough to not capture the bullet at all, that would mean the freebore feature on your reamer is longer than the neck feature is, which would make for an easy visual reference.

A buddy of mine recently used a Hornady tool to check OAL on a new 6XC barrel. The modified case was so fat it wouldn't fit in the chamber, which skewed the measurements long.

Reactions: Series 70 Colt
You can take a rough measurement of the freebore with your caliper. Not a precise measurement. If the freebore on the reamer is long enough to not capture the bullet at all, that would mean the freebore feature on your reamer is longer than the neck feature is, which would make for an easy visual reference.

A buddy of mine recently used a Hornady tool to check OAL on a new 6XC barrel. The modified case was so fat it wouldn't fit in the chamber, which skewed the measurements
Are you saying somehow measure the freebore within the barrel using just calipers? How would I do this?