• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 creedmoor, h4350, 80.5

flyfisherman246

Private
Minuteman
May 26, 2017
Just spun up my first 22 creedmoor and just started load development. The internet is full of people using 42.5-43.0 grains h4350 behind an 80.5 full bore. Im using hornady 6mm creed brass and got heavy bolt lift and ejector marks and the groups went to shit at 42.0. I haven't chrono'd yet, and I know every rifle is different but how are guys' go to load up around 43.0 and I'm probably going to be around 41.0 or so. Its a 22" 4 groove 8 twist kreiger. Running a .088 freebore reamer. Anyone else shooting loads around 41.0?

The internet is full of people using 42.5-43.0 grains h4350 behind an 80.5 full bore.

That freebore is a little short to be stepping on it that hard. I mostly run in the .125 range. Also, keep in mind that most on the internet are really pushing that cartridge. 41gr is a nice place to be, especially if your barrel is a little tight. You would also be well served to try some Peterson brass. They have headstamped 22 Creed for you.

The other thing you can do is try some different components. Some barrels simply don't like certain powders or certain bullets and will pressure up quick. I run the 80gr Berger target mostly, but SMK's are often quite forgiving as well. Switching to H1000, or some Viht or RE powders might net you the performance you're after. If you want to know what the barrel likes, you'll have to actually do a little work to find it.