• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

22 Grendel

We never hear of 6.8 bolts breaking. I wonder if almost every 6.8 user is squaring their receivers or if the 6.8/Valkyrie bolts are just stronger. Don't take my word for it, walk into any engineers office with 2 bolts and ask. Any engineer can tell you the 6.8 bolt is stronger. They can also tell you a Grendel bolt with a .124 recess is stronger than a Grendel bolt with a .136 recess if both are made from the same material and the heat treat is the same.

When one of my HP shooting friends started the ball rolling on the 6RAT, we went with LMT enhanced bolts in our spaceguns, and ran some pretty warm loads with 105-107gr bullets for 600yd slow prone. Never had an issue with these bolts, but LMT discontinued them. JP makes basically the same thing out of the same alloy that LMT was using - I won't do a 6RAT without selling a JP enhanced bolt with the bbl - unless the customer supplies his own JP or LMT bolt.

I did a search for the 22 Grendel & found this thread, because I'm looking at doing one on a Howa Mini bolt gun. I've done 6RATs on both CZ527 & Mini actions, and much prefer the push-feed Howa Mini. The CZ is a pretty little action, but the Howa feeds better, and is easier to find 20 MOA scope rails for. Plus I never did care for the single set CZ trigger, but really like the Howa HACT, especially after doing the spring mod where you shorten the actuator spring one to 1-1/3 coils, and wind up with a really nice clean break at 1.2-2lbs. I have two more Mini bbl'd actions - one 6.5 Grendel, one 7.62x39 - and have been looking at either the 20 Grendel, or the 22 version. I did a 20 Tactical on one of the 222 bbl'd actions, am an really liking that little rifle. Think a 22 Grendel would be excellent...

Been shooting Grendel variants for awhile now...

22 Grendel is a nice little cartridge especially with the current lot of high bc projectiles on the market.

Speeds shown are with 75 eld's. I've backed them down to 3080 with no pressure signs.

The new 95 smks will be loaded in my 22 creed.
For 22 Grendel...Can you run an 88 eld at mag length effectively? Or do you have to single feed?

Reactions: 357Max
So I'm part of a group on Facebook and a ffl posted about having barrels avalibe for a 22 Grendel. Has anyone built one of these? If so did you have a custom barrel or did you find someone who has them? What kind of accuracy and velocity do you get with say 80s?
Has anyone tried Allaint 2000 MR in the 22 Grendel ? seems to work good in 224 Valkyrie

Got my barrel the other day from Bart and purchased reamer from ptg . got the barrel broke in and have been shooting some real nice groups with it . I built a 24" . just shot a group with some 82 grain Bergers . 28 grains Reloader 15 2880 fps . I first shot the Nosler 70 RDF and CFE 223 at 3186 fps . I ordered a 24" from Tactical cannon first and it got lost in the mail . I did get it two weeks later but already had the barrel chambered and shooting that I got from Bart Baldwin . I am just going to sell the one from Tactical cannon . dont need two . thx! Mark

I’ve run CFE223 with ELDM 80’s, but accuracy was not quite what I’d hoped for. Most groups around 1.25”. One promising at .80” but wondering if it was a fluke, as the others were pretty consistent in size. Just wondering if anyone has tried AR Comp. Asking because I already have some and willing to give it a try, just trying to figure out a starting point. Anyone with some experience in this area feel free to chime in!

Reviving an old thread here, but what kind of freebore are you guys running in the 22 grendel? Thinking about getting a reamer made for 75-80gr eldm, no turn lapua. Anyone fireform from 220 Russian or 22 ppc? Seems like it'd eliminate having to neck down and turn 6.5 grendel.

Reactions: browning442
Finally received the 22 GRINCH resize reamer from PTG that I'd been waiting for - now just need to find the time to run the 22 GRINCH finisher into the Bartlein 1-6.8tw bbl that I'd previously chambered with a 22 Grendel reamer, then use the resize reamer in a Newlon neck bushing FL sizer die blank, and the finisher into a Newlon micrometer top seater. This is on a Howa Mini, not a gas gun, but we'll see how she rolls, and if I'm impressed enough with the GRINCH's performance in the bolt rifle, will consider doing an AR15 for the GRINCH.

Reviving an old thread here, but what kind of freebore are you guys running in the 22 grendel? Thinking about getting a reamer made for 75-80gr eldm, no turn lapua. Anyone fireform from 220 Russian or 22 ppc? Seems like it'd eliminate having to neck down and turn 6.5 grendel.
Easier to neck down a grendel than fireform a PPC. The 224 LBC reamers are usually on the shelf at JGS, the freebore may be a little short but they work fine.

Reactions: 4O6shootist
So for me its about money. It costs me less to neck down than it does to spend money on primers, powder, and bullets to fireform from a different parent case.

Reactions: therevoman
So for me its about money. It costs me less to neck down than it does to spend money on primers, powder, and bullets to fireform from a different parent case.
From the research I've done, with my current ar chamber 255nk, I'll have to fireform then neck turn lapua 65gr brass after it's been necked down. 22ppc norma has 249 loaded diameter from my research. I know necking down can cause donuts to form at the base of neck fairly quickly. Something I definitely want to avoid. The ppc/Russian parent case would move neck brass to shoulder, likely greatly reducing the chances of donuts forming. Just trying to cover all basis here before planning a bolt gun in this chamber. 22 br may be easier!

I don’t know what reamer @Constructor uses for his 224 predator, but forming that from 6.5 Grendel is a single step process with the Hornady 224 predator dies. No donuts. No neck turning. Just size and maybe trim. It is- literally- a necked dorm 6.5 Grendel. Don’t overthink it.

I don’t know what reamer @Constructor uses for his 224 predator, but forming that from 6.5 Grendel is a single step process with the Hornady 224 predator dies. No donuts. No neck turning. Just size and maybe trim. It is- literally- a necked dorm 6.5 Grendel. Don’t overthink it.
There is only a few thou difference in freebore, everything else is the same and the 224 LBC reamers cost half as much as a custom.

There is only a few thou difference in freebore, everything else is the same and the 224 LBC reamers cost half as much as a custom.
Do you guys happen to know the neck diameter of your particular chamber/reamer? Fired neck dimension would be sufficient, figuring 001 spring back. I know my chamber is going to be tight necked, if I had to, I'd rather buy a 224 lbc reamer and just hand ream out my current chamber.

PTG tolerances are plus or minus .001"
vcm_s_kf_repr_770x676.jpg

I'm new in the wildcat arena and understand the difference can be subtle or extreme. For the vanilla 6Grendel, can sizing be done similar to how 22GT or 22BR is accomplished with a body die and bushing for neck sizing and shoulder bump. Is that what Yondering was referring to with the PPC dies?

I'm new in the wildcat arena and understand the difference can be subtle or extreme. For the vanilla 6Grendel, can sizing be done similar to how 22GT or 22BR is accomplished with a body die and bushing for neck sizing and shoulder bump. Is that what Yondering was referring to with the PPC dies?
It would be easiest to use 6.5 Grendel bushing dies. 1 Stroke and it's done. If you can find 243LBC or 6mm Predator dies it's even better.

Last edited:
Reactions: thelaststraw
Awesome, I appreciate the info. In regards to LBC, Predator and 6Grendel....are the differences all in throat and/or freebore? I was talking to my barrel smith not long ago about a Grendel based 22 and he told me the LBC was a different reamer. I was curious exactly where the difference is. I tried looking around myself and info is sparse in the more obscure cartridges.

Awesome, I appreciate the info. In regards to LBC, Predator and 6Grendel....are the differences all in throat and/or freebore? I was talking to my barrel smith not long ago about a Grendel based 22 and he told me the LBC was a different reamer. I was curious exactly where the difference is. I tried looking around myself and info is sparse in the more obscure cartridges.
Yes, they are all different reamers but the differences are mostly the freebore. The 224AR was the first, then I made a 22 Banshee around 2007, then the 224LBC came from Black hole weaponry then I made the 224 Predator then they came up with the 22 Grendel. All have the same headspace and body dimensions. There are very small differences in neck diameter and freebore length.
I believe the 224AR was a little tighter neck dia for shooting highpower(check Robert Whitley's site 6mmAR.com)

Reactions: thelaststraw
I really appreciate the info. Screenshot and saved! I knew of the Whitley items, but not all the background. Many questions answered in one post right there. Thanks for your time sir.