• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 Hornet or 22 Mag? Help!

furburner

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2011
TEMPLE, TEXAS
A local gunships is going out of business, and they have 2 Ruger 77/22 one of each which one should I buy and why? I reload also rifles are $500 apiece tax and all. Thanks guys

Re: 22 Hornet or 22 Mag? Help!

Hornet by a mile if you reload.... the ammo for the 22 mag vs prformnce would lend me to buy a 22 lr first... The 22 Hornet shoots real bullets and can approach 3000 fps...

I vote the Mag, Ruger Hornets are too much work.
eek.gif

Rugers are finicky at best. Took me a long time, and a lot of load tinkering to get mine to group half way decently. If I were to do it again, I'd avoid the Ruger Hornet. There are other Hornets available with better out of box accuracy reviews. My .02 cents,,, YMMV

re-chamber for the K-Hornet,(easy and not costly)and reload; fireforming I have seen 3/4" groups

77/22 in a hornet is not a tack driver but is a great walking varminter and turkey rifle

I would go with the .22 mag. I have never been a huge fan of the 22 Hornet caliber and would much rather just use a .223, .204, or 22-250. Like others, it is just my $.02

I've got little experience with the Hornet. It wasn't a must have.

I just bought a Savage varmint 22mag. It's nice. Shoots very nice at 100 so far. I have a 22mag pistol so it seemed like a good choice.

I was just introduced to the 221 Fireball. That is a sweetheart. I really liked the fireball. I'll have to get me one of those. The XP-100 pistol grouped tighter than must people shoot a rifle. In a rifle it must be amazing.

I like nothing more the Hornet for turkey, though have a .221 too. Too hot, though for turkey.

I used to shoot a CZ-452 in .22 mag, until I got a CZ-527 in .22 Hornet! So accurate and fun to shoot, plus I like centerfire rounds over rimfires. Go with the Hornet, you won't be disappointed.

George P.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take the money for the Ruger and do like George P suggests...get a CZ instead. JMHO </div></div>

Ditto.

If you reload, the Hornet would be my first choice. There was a comment above about being a bitch to re-size but I've never had any issues. A Lee Collet die makes life even easier.

The CZ-527 is an excellent choice (if you don't go with the Ruger that is...)!

I have a ruger 77/22hornet with the laminate wood stock and heavier grey barrel.
I guess I lucked out with mine.. Hornady 22 hornet ammo is .5-.75 at 100yds for 5 shots.
My 77/22 lr is standard blued /walnut sporter.. stock with exception of wolf trigger springs.. most accurate 22lr under $400 I have ever fired, loves remington green/blue box 22lr ammo.

I also have had the 22 mag and 17 hmr in same configuration.. Both are long gone and I dont regret it

If you cant make up your mind, buy them both at 500 shoot ea, see what you like better and sell the other one..

if you can afford it,mlh is right. don't think you would get hurt too bad on a resale. i you could get only would do hornet,since you reload. scopes and rings would have to be factored into that equation. personally not a fan of ruger rifles. excepting my 10/22T that markedly outshoots every other RF i have owned. just got sav 22 mag and am working with it. also got a sav 740b hornet. nobody here gave bad advice,but,if you can't buy but 1.5 of these,decide on a caliber and get 1 gun with a know accuracy record-CZ and savage come to my mind,spend rest on a good scope.

Have a marlin 25m in .22mag my dad bought for me when I was 8 years old .after 30+ years I still keep a mag loaded for it at all times as it is my go to gun for small things living here in the woods. Have used a .22k hornet that was dads brothers rifle and I cant really compare the two as the K hornet was DEATH to what ever I saw to 100 + and my .22mag was getting alittle short on ass at that range ( could still hit critters it just did not down them as fast )so I lean toward the hornet.
But the .22mag is still MY little rifle.

Hornet brass seems to be a bitch to come by sometimes...like right now. Guess Rem and Win maybe just produce it a couple times a year?

That said, if you go 77/22H and it doesn't perform up to specs there's always Connecticut Precision Chambering who can tune it up for ya'.

Yeah when you go with the hornet finding ammo can suck.
I cant get .22 mag at walmart everyday.
If you dont reload the hornet aint gonna be the best bet.

I would agree that if you don't reload the .22mag would probably be the better choice; however, if you do reload, I would recommend the .22Hornet. There are a lot more ammo option with the Hornet, for the reloader.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the two are not really comparable..... buy both..... </div></div>

This.
The Hornet could easily be converted to my favorite, the 17 Ackely Hornet, and (contrary to what someone posted) the 22 Mag does shoot "real" bullets (supposing they meant jacketed ones).