• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.22 Log books

Tactical22

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2009
SC
Would any one be willing to share details on what they have in their log books for their precision .22? Wind and elevation for subsonic, standard, high, and hyper velocity loads, temperature data, frequently used math, mil holds, etc. When you go to the range or competions, what exactly do you record?

Re: .22 Log books

The only recording that I keep track of is round count, and drop data. I don't do anything crucial enough with the rimfire that would require extensive knowledge of what it does at all temperatures, and what not. On top of that, my round count isn't even high enough to have enough data to know all that info anyway, and i'm at 1529 rounds right now.

Branden

Temperature makes a difference in shooting between 200-350 yards so I check the changes using JBM sometimes and keep track in a notebook. 10 degrees can matter. I also write down wind conditions and scope adjustments. On a gusty day trying to get settled in on consistant adjustments is tough.

And of course what type of ammo used.

Thanks, Militant. I have one that I am making, but I will check it out. I just wanted to know what everyone else does. Considering how far some Hide members shoot .22, they must be doing something right!

information wise, it depends on what your rig is and what ammo it likes. best thing to do is spend some $ and time at various yards and record for the top shooting ammos you'll be using:

distance (i like every 25 yards, some go every 10)
amount of "clicks" to get back there from your zero
drop in inches
temperature
humidity
sunny, cloudy, snow cover
fps
any amount of hold overs on what magnification
amount of drift for different wind mph
size of target (for ranging purposes)
amount of angle
amount of mirage

i also like to write down any cleanings, or if performance was increased by changing my hold, cheek weld, or any other eureka moments in my shooting form that led to better shooting.

you can then come up with dope for every season, every distance you plan on shooting, and amount of adjustment for wind.

that is up to a personal preference, ususually i just use low, medium, and high.

the heavier the mirage the higher the impact (not by much) due to:

1. the ground heat creates thermals that physically lift the low weighted and low velocity round.

2. the optical illusion of mirage will make the target appear slightly higher than it actually is.

when it's hot and sunny it's worse than when it's hot and cloudy, so when it's hot and sunny out i'll aim slightly lower to compensate for both factors.

For firing my .22LR i use the same data/log book than i use for centerfire rifle.

Specially the impact data book, cold bore shot registry, rounds fired, sketch, range card, etc ...

What i find important on the .22LR round is how the weather condition affects the point of impact. For example in my case at 150 yards the difference between a cold and hot and wet day is about 2 mils.

The .22LR trainer can be considered as important as a centerfire rifle.

Greetings

scan0001resize.jpg

This is an example of one page of my log book

Thanks, a lot, guys! Elian, this is EXACTLY what I was hoping people would do with this thread. Just want to learn from as many people as possible. records=consistency=accuracy

Keep it coming!

WOW That sure it is a complete log book.

Like the one i shown i've got. Ballistic chards are in the same book that log/impact/data book.

Interesting info TP !

This are my old ful ballistic charts for the .22LR ammunition i used.

Those charts have some errors. They where corrected. But i want to show you how they look ...

librobalistico50.jpg

librobalistico503.jpg

librobalistico502.jpg

There i calculated, drop, wind, moving target. And there is some sheets that i use that are not there

The idea is to keep, adpting the logs to get a almost perfect one. To me is difficult to finish it, because im never happy with the results of the ballistic charts. They oscillate a lot. Even if you do what TP did, use one for Summer/Fall/Winter/Spring etc ...

Anyone have try shooting to movers with .22LR beyond 100 yards? I did de calculations, but i never test if they work.

Elian_BHZ;
Very nice charts and tables, i really like the incorporation of the graphics. You have inspired me to do something similar.

TP;
Also very good stuff on the silhouette.

Thanks guys, I have been preaching for folks to log their info, and I certainly have been keeping notes, but you guys are really on top of it.

I don't use often the drop chart, because i wrote it down on the target turret of my rifle. So when i want to shoot at 100 150 or 200 yards i make the corrections. But i do use them for the rest of the corrections

TAG

We can help make up some nice .collection pages if you guys decide how you want them.

Drop us a line with what you want [email protected]

I am almost done with some layouts for Silhoutte matches coming soon.

If you people want i can post all my entire log book.
It has the classic: number of rounds fired, skecth, range cards, etc etc

greetings

Absolutely, Elian! I want to incorporate several things from each of these. Keep it coming, please...