• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

22 LR Ammo

HOGGHEAD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Rivesville, WV
Got a quick question about 22 LR ammo. I am looking for the quietest load I can find for a 22LR. I can also shoot 22 shorts in my Remington 581. I bought a case of Remington Subsonic that is listed at 1050 fps. I was thinking this was the quietest round I could buy. Then some one said to shoot 22 Short CB's?? Do those exist?? All the 22 Short ammo I have seen are a tad bit faster than the Remington Sub Sonic that I bought. So by being a tad bit faster could they be more quiet?? What is the quietest 22 LR or 22 Short ammo out there?? Thanks, Tom.

Re: 22 LR Ammo

CCI lists their 22 CB loads (both 22 long and 22 short) at 710 fps. They're a lot quieter than normal 22 loads.

A similar concept is the Aguila Colibri load at about ~500 fps. This is so slow that Aguila says the load is for handguns only because the bullet may stick in the longer barrel of a rifle causing an unsafe blockage. People use them in rifles but you have to be careful and you do it at your own risk.

I've never used them but people say the Colibri rounds are as quiet or quieter than a pellet gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maladat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CCI lists their 22 CB loads (both 22 long and 22 short) at 710 fps. They're a lot quieter than normal 22 loads.

A similar concept is the Aguila Colibri load at about ~500 fps. This is so slow that Aguila says the load is for handguns only because the bullet may stick in the longer barrel of a rifle causing an unsafe blockage. People use them in rifles but you have to be careful and you do it at your own risk.

I've never used them but people say the Colibri rounds are as quiet or quieter than a pellet gun. </div></div>

I've used the CB caps, the Colibri, and the Super Colibris out of my rifles, and out of the 3, the CB caps make the most noise.

None of them are very accurate or powerful. Out of my rifles, that will easily do under 1/2" at 50 yards with good ammo, and with any of the three mentioned ammo, it is tough to hit a starling at 20 yards, and if you do, it better be from the front, or rear, because they won't usually penetrate the wings.

I found a lightly used, Benjaman, Discovery, air rifle, and the pellets hitting the target make more noise than the gun going off, and with the right pellets, will do 1/2" at 50 yards, and take starlings through the wings.

There's no reason to use CB Shorts in an LR chamber. As noted above, velocity is the same with Both the Long and Short loads from CCI.
Published velocities are 375fps/ 20gr conical in Colibri, 500fps/20gr conical, and 29 gr @ 710-800 for CB or "Z" loads from Winchester, Remington, and CCI.

There's a guy on Rimfire Central with a Short Match chambered Contender carbine that shoots 1" @50yd, though his longest shot on feral hogs is 38yd; usually he shoots them @ 10-15yd..DRT. This with CCI CB Shorts.

The idea that a 35ft/lb .22 bullet won't penetrate a starling's wing is ridiculous on its face.

Pump up air rifles are hard put to achieve 700fps with a 14gr .22 pellet. Accuracy, however is beyond question.

I am only looking for a round to shoot off the front porch for practice. So I was just wanting to keep the noise down a bit. I have a case of Remington Sub-sonic's(1050 fps) sitting on the shelf. I normally hunt with them. So I took the SH Midway code and just ordered a brick of the Super Colibri and a brick of the CCI-CB-Longs. So I can do a little comparison test. I also ordered two 10-round magazines for a really nice LH Remington 581 I just picked up.
grin.gif
grin.gif

All my shooting will be at a 50 yard 2" gong. So that is all the accuracy I really need for these shells. Thanks for the referral on the Super Colibri. I have never seen or shot it before. However I will be sure to keep an eye on the barrel to make sure they exit the barrel. Tom.

The super colibiris won't do it for you at 50 yards...

Have you considered spending the $ on a suppressor?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ivanthesane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The super colibiris won't do it for you at 50 yards...

Have you considered spending the $ on a suppressor? </div></div>

I have a 22 caliber suppressor for my 223 varmint rifle. I could easily put it on the rifle. And I might. The noise really isn't a big problem where I live. I just wanted to lower the noise level a bit for some practice. Nothing complicated. Just fun shooting. And I also like the lower noise level, I will also be training a couple of kids. And IMO the more quiet the better for them. Tom.

use the supressor .supressed bolt rifle with subsonics is quieter than the above mentioned pellet rifle .i use one for quiet practice on steel with my 22 trainer , it is a blast .

When I want Really Quiet with my 10/22 suppressed,I use the CB Longs,have to function it manually though.Hard to find the CCI Subsonic HP these days,any standard velocity under 1080 fps is subsonic though.I shot some green Tag yesterday and they were real quiet.

I prefer standard velocity of CCI. Friendly with your suppressor without POI

If your .223 suppressor is not one that you can take apart and clean I would highly caution you against using it on your .22 . Most rimfire ammo leaves a lot of carbon and lead build up in the suppressor which makes them less efficient as well the fact that it could cause some pressure problems when you re-install it on your centerfire rifle .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your .223 suppressor is not one that you can take apart and clean I would highly caution you against using it on your .22 . Most rimfire ammo leaves a lot of carbon and lead build up in the suppressor which makes them less efficient as well the fact that it could cause some pressure problems when you re-install it on your centerfire rifle .
</div></div>

That is the reason I do not use it on my 22 rifles. I shoot about 500 rounds or so a week. Too much shooting for the Yankee Hill suppressor IMO. And it is just as easy, and almost as cheap to just shoot the lower velocity-quieter rounds. Tom.

http://www.urbanriflesupply.com/29barrel.html Take a look at this stuff...29" barrel, breach lock, shorts....just another option. I ordered a barrel, so I'll let you know what's up....The guy there,Robert, says Green Mtn. made the barrels...its a regular Ruger sporter contour and bentz chamber....check his video

any subsonic with a full rifle barrel is very quiet, turn up some music and do your thing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's no reason to use CB Shorts in an LR chamber. As noted above, velocity is the same with Both the Long and Short loads from CCI.
Published velocities are 375fps/ 20gr conical in Colibri, 500fps/20gr conical, and 29 gr @ 710-800 for CB or "Z" loads from Winchester, Remington, and CCI.

There's a guy on Rimfire Central with a Short Match chambered Contender carbine that shoots 1" @50yd, though his longest shot on feral hogs is 38yd; usually he shoots them @ 10-15yd..DRT. This with CCI CB Shorts.

The idea that a 35ft/lb .22 bullet won't penetrate a starling's wing is ridiculous on its face.
<span style="font-weight: bold">I've had 20-30 that I tried to take through the side, and they either flew away, or, just had broken wings, with Super Colibris.</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold"> </span>
Pump up air rifles are hard put to achieve 700fps with a 14gr .22 pellet. Accuracy, however is beyond question.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I chronoed my Discovery at just shy of 800 fps, with 14.2 grain, RWS pellets, with the tank at 2000psi, but, after about 10 shots, pressure, and velocity drops.</span> </div></div>

Remington makes the CBee22 which is a .22 long rifle truncated cone, 33g hollow point, 740fps mv bullet. Will feed better in most rifles. These are really weak and you can clap you hands louder.

Sam