• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .22 LR Centerfire?!

DJL2

Tiger 33A
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2013
OCONUS - Land of Kimchi
I don't see this elsewhere, from Cutting Edge Bullets courtesy of Bartlein via FaceBook:

It's time for another 22LR update!The Raton Thunder 1.6 mile ELR match was held June 28-30 at the NRA Whittington Center and it also incorporated a 22LR ELR range for shooters who wanted to stretch their rimfire legs. We decided that was the perfect time to really see what our 22LR bullets were capable of.

Scott Taylor, owner of Defense Solutions LLC, has really been the driving force this project. Scott loaded up his rifles and made the trek to Raton NM to debut what we've been working so hard on. Our patent pending 32gr 22LR bullets did not disappoint in the least. They far exceeded all of our expectations by hitting 2/10 shots at the 1,042 yard target. Several other shooters had consistent hits at 500 and 600 yards. The sweet spot for muzzle velocity with this particular bullet was between 1400 and 1450fps. I know there is a lot of talk out there that subsonic is the only way to go but this project has proven that false, at least with our bullets. They transitioned flawlessly through transonic around 200-300 yards.As soon as we find a reliable primed brass supplier we will be offering reloading kits. We have developed a 2 die set and shell holder (shown in the pictures) that we will include with 1,000 bullets/brass to reload your own 22LR ammunition.We are currently working with an ammo manufacturer who has procured us primed brass for our testing thus far. We are also open to discussions with additional ammo manufacturers. If you are interested please contact us at [email protected] or give us a call at 814-345-6690.

Scott's rifle specs:
Vudoo Gun Works V22 Action
22" 1-6" twist Bartlein Barrels, Inc
5-25x56 Nightforce Optics ATACR
Defense Solutions LLC 70 MOA Scope Mount
tacomHQ Carlie
GRAYBOE Ridgeback Stock
Gemtech Suppressors Outback 2 Suppressor
Triggertech Diamond Trigger

Last edited:
Reactions: st1650
Sounds like handloading already primed cases. Idk how you could re-prime rimfire brass. Curious to hear more about the dies, looks like the first die might just be an expander.

Sounds like handloading already primed cases. Idk how you could re-prime rimfire brass. Curious to hear more about the dies, looks like the first die might just be an expander.

I remember reading a test done somewhere on primer compound inconsistencies in rimfire cases being one of, if not the major factor in MV spreads.
They pulled the bullet, dumped the powder, re seated, measured MV with just the priming compound and it was all over the place.

There was also a guy on here a while ago experimenting with ultra high velocity armour piercing 22LR and the lack of consistency in pre primed cases was one of the major limiting factors in his project as well.

Now if someone could devise a way to make reloadable cases I’d be somewhat interested, but given that even match grade .22lr is less than 15 cents a round, I don’t see the practicality of it.

Reactions: DJL2
Now if someone could devise a way to make reloadable cases I’d be somewhat interested, but given that even match grade .22lr is less than 15 cents a round, I don’t see the practicality of it.

Agreed. I always thought one of the main appeals of long range .22 competitions/shooting/ a .22 trainer was not having to spend time at the reloading bench because factory ammo is plentiful, accurate, and dirt cheap compared to centerfire.