• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 LR CZ455 50yard precision bench rest, off by 1-2 inches ?

axis007

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2024
texas
Shooting Bench-rest precision style in my backyard, using a CZ 455, American Rimfire Target, first 25 shots grouping 1/2 inch, at 50 yards, CCI Subsonic at 1050fps next 20-50 shots missing by 1-2 inches? cannot figure out why, Fatigue? unlikely. the Barrel does not feel warm or hot, cannot figure out why? any suggestions or comments?

Check EVERY fastener on your rifle including the scope mount/rings. Doesn’t matter what you think you did in the past when installing it. Just check it.
Next scrub your barrel and go from there.

Fastners, check and re-torque, scrubbing barrel next, ….. but how can it deviate from 1/2 group at 50 yars to 1-2 inches off????

I’m assuming the group is shifting on its own. You’re not doing anything to the scope. Does the group ever go back to 1/2”?

I’m assuming the group is shifting on its own. You’re not doing anything to the scope. Does the group ever go back to 1/2”?
Yes, the first 25 shots were grouping 1/2 inch at 50….. next 50 was all over the place, bench rest, same condition, no alcohol, the barrel was not hot to the touch …ll

Yes, the first 25 shots were grouping 1/2 inch at 50….. next 50 was all over the place, bench rest, same condition, no alcohol, the barrel was not hot to the touch …ll
I think I found your problem ...

If getting blind drunk doesn't help then just go through your whole set up systematically. You don't say anything about what was going on wind-wise.

• Haha
Reactions: Milo 2.5
Only 3 options. Which one changed?
Wind?
Setup?
Ammunition?

Wind picked up, turbulence messed with trajectories.

Mechanical issue with bench, rest, rifle or optics.

Lost the assembly line lottery and purchased a box of Friday afternoon
or Monday morning made cartridges with problems.
It happens. Some runs are made right, others are visibly beat to snot, poorly made.
Take a close look at those cartridges, any visible problems?
Chips, dings, assymetry, sloppy crimp, uneven seating?

Wind picked up, 5-8 mph (Krestrel) but at 50 yards?
Crappy ammo is the only variable I can think of
CCI subsonic, they a should be decent , not ELEY but not crap?

A, I carry multiple boxes of 22lr to the range.
Bulk, mid grade and benchrest competition quality.
When a box does the unexpected, I swap to another type of 22lr
to confirm it's an ammo problem, not wind, setup or me.
Try another type of better quality 22lr.
If results are good, you know it was either ammo or wind.
Add some wind-i-cators to y'er range gear.
Might make a difference in y'er analysis.

CCI makes hunting and plinking 22lr.
No batch testing for quality, only function and chamber pressure.
Does it go bang safely? I've bought boxes that purely reeked.
Barely revolver fodder. :(

A, I carry multiple boxes of 22lr to the range.
Bulk, mid grade and benchrest competition quality.
When a box does the unexpected, I swap to another type of 22lr
to confirm it's an ammo problem, not wind, setup or me.
Try another type of better quality 22lr.
If results are good, you know it was either ammo or wind.
Add some wind-i-cators to y'er range gear.
Might make a difference in y'er analysis.

CCI makes hunting and plinking 22lr.
No batch testing for quality, only function and chamber pressure.
Does it go bang safely? I've bought boxes that purely reeked.
Barely revolver fodder. :(
Good advise. Thanks

Agree with Justin. Sadly there is no American made rimfire ammo that is consistent enough to rule out ammo as the primary factor.
CCI is still the best quality ammo made in America, but considering the horrendous quality of the other available domestic brands that is not saying much
one of the reasons I shoot a revolver well and frequently is to burn up all that ammo that was found wanting in rifles. While your chances are infinitely better with European ammo ( and they better be for the increased cost involved) I even had a highly disappointing lot of SK recently

Agree with Justin. Sadly there is no American made rimfire ammo that is consistent enough to rule out ammo as the primary factor.
CCI is still the best quality ammo made in America, but considering the horrendous quality of the other available domestic brands that is not saying much
one of the reasons I shoot a revolver well and frequently is to burn up all that ammo that was found wanting in rifles. While your chances are infinitely better with European ammo ( and they better be for the increased cost involved) I even had a highly disappointing lot of SK recently
Bought some ELEY Biathlon , hopefully that will solve the problem

Bought some ELEY Biathlon , hopefully that will solve the problem
Might help, might make it worse.
The Eley Biathlon ammo has a thinner lube and the cartridge is a couple of thou smaller than standard.
That smaller diameter may suit your rifle. It's worth a try.
Went looking, found this...
https://www.eleyammunition.com/eley-match-biathlon-22lr/
This bit here...
"Examination of bullet and chambering characteristics at freezing temperatures led to a reduction in the diameter of the cartridge to aid cycling in bolt-action or straight-pull biathlon rifles. A scientifically designed lubricant was developed to suit cold temperatures, aiding consistency and reducing barrel wear. ELEY match biathlon also benefits from an increased propellant charge giving the bullet enhanced terminal energy and a greater knock down force needed for the biathlon target".