• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 LR setup for getting into competition shooting.

Excelsior32

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2014
North Florida
So I have been debating what type of target shooting I can afford to do on a limited budget. I want to get into practicing every weekend with my little nephew, and teach him firearms safety and a passion he can enjoy for a lifetime. I have no idea where to start, except regarding caliber, and distances. I need help with the following; rifle make, model , features needed, price range to expect, semiautomatic or bolt action(Ruger 10/22 vs CZ 457 MTR), build or buy, what can print the smallest groups, at what point does price dictate accuracy, can a $400 rifle be more accurate than I am and should shoot up to a higher dollar setup, at what point would price be only adding features and not accuracy, what barrel lengths are best for range, velocity and accuracy, is the $2,000 Bushnell XRS 4.5–30xs 50mm scope with G2 reticle a good choice for plinking, is a 22 LR rifle like a factory Remington 700 in which I can buy a base model and upgrade the barrel plus blueprint to achieve the precision of a much more expensive setup(like putting a Krieger barrel on a Ruger Precision rifle), accessories needed like a range finder and what is used for long range/caliber shooting, ammunition preferences like CCI green tag, if a suppressor is worth having for a 22 caliber, and anything recommended? I love the “Know your limits “ competition. It would be for that and bullseye competition. I would not be running around trying to be Keanu Reeves. Basically is there a formula or guidelines for shooting rim fire rifles in competitions? And if being an expert in 22LR shooting translates over to big bore long range precision shooting? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• CEACFB70-53BA-4F49-BF79-2D8BD6B39655.png
    CEACFB70-53BA-4F49-BF79-2D8BD6B39655.png
    875.8 KB · Views: 198
  • 2D2969FA-B012-42F2-A005-5BA0FAAC39EE.png
    2D2969FA-B012-42F2-A005-5BA0FAAC39EE.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 203
  • E74FEF58-3B81-4291-A08A-D8D60C0D05F6.png
    E74FEF58-3B81-4291-A08A-D8D60C0D05F6.png
    948.3 KB · Views: 198
my recommendations for getting started in 22 lr longrange plinking on a budget is grab yourself a savage mkII FV-SR, 30 moa rail, bushnell match pro 6-24, pile of cci standard velocity, basic rangefinder, and get to work.

ain’t no reason you can’t get impacts out to 400 yards with ease with that set up and will teach a youngster a helluva lot of good habits that would definitely translate over to long range centerfire (learning good follow through, dialing, holding over, wind, etc)

my two suggestions would be weigh down the stock some and get a silencerco sparrow

Last edited:
I just went down the 22lr rabbit hole and this is my set up. I went all out and i am into is about $5200 and it shoots awesome.
Vudoo with 22in MTU barrel
MPA chassis
Tract Toric 4.5-30x56
sphur mount
Accu-Tac WB-5 bipod
Ammo Lapua Long Rang shoots best in my rifle followed by RWS100 then RWS 50.

If I had a lower budget I would go the CZ 457 with the heavy barrel I think it's a 22in and get the area 419 scope mount. I would still use the same scope, scope mount and bipod. You can shave about 2k off what I spent.
There is always the Ruger Precision Rifle and put a new match barrel on it.
Good luck

IMG_0023 (1).jpg

Last edited:
There's lots of guys shooting 457s out there. I'm one of em...

Two if you count both my rifles.

Both my rifles are in KRG Bravos with Vortex Venoms on top. I guarantee you it isn't the budget aspect of what I've built that's making me miss off the barricades

M

I also went down that rabit hole. I boughtCZ 457 Varmint MTR almost two years ago and have fired over 1600 rounds through it. However, I changed the MTR stock to a PDC Custom G5C Chassis, Timney Trigger (8oz) with the Area 419 30MOA Base. And changed the barrel out to a .900 21. Lilja Barrel. Reason: the MTR stock was great, however, it was condusive to the type of shooting I wanted to do (NRL22 Matches). 2nd CZ went with the CZ457 Pro Varmint and again changed to a chassis (XLR) and changed barrel out to the Lilja 18” Barrel, along with all the other stuff. The CZ 457 Pro Varmint is a good start and easy to upgrade. Started with an ARKEN Optics scope which worked well.
CZ MTR With Lilja barrel 2.jpg

Reactions: Excelsior32
I’m sliding down the rabbit hole myself,

Just finished a B14R in MDT ACC chassis. I’ve been down the information rabbit hole on this recently so I’ll help where I can

Avoid the Ruger. There’s better out there. Without going to rimx or Vudoo I’d suggest the following,

B14R - if you like R700 pattern rifles. 18” barrel. They are known to be a “poor man’s Vudoo”. They tend to shoot very well. Steel barrel or carbon. I’d suggest steel for better balance, reports of better accuracy and not effected with a suppressor like the thin/sleeved carbon models. The carbons can be very accurate as well though and save some weight. The B14R is compatible with any R700 trigger or chassis. So endless upgrades. If you don’t like it you can replace the B14R barreled action with a Vudoo or RimX in the future.

Tikka T1X- lighter option. 16.5 or 20” barrel. Known to be very accurate. Short bolt throw. One of the best factory single stage triggers. Somewhat of a plastic flimsy stock. But can accept stock pieces like grip/forend etc from the T3X model like the CTR stock.

CZ- known to shoot very well. Short bolt throw. Easy barrel swap if you want to upgrade to something like a Lilja down the road. Factory flavors of about 15 choices and price points.

If I was on a budget it start with a T1X or CZ. You don’t need a $2k optic. Something like a Arken EP5 works well and are very common. ($600 with accessories from Arken)

Of course the gun only shoot as good as the ammo. So budget that in and keep in mind it will effect performance. CCI SV may shoot very well or be a crap shoot. Others like eley, SK and Lapua will tend to shoot the best. But accuracy varies not only between brands but between the same ammo of different lot numbers.

For a touch more $ a B14R with Arken EP5/30 MOA rail is a good start

I’m working on a T1X currently and just finished this B14R. Waiting on TBAC takedown .22 and Griffin Optimus Micro for cans.
IMG_5263.jpeg

I’ve been shooting rimfire for 2 1/2 years now and a touch over 37,000 rounds on the match set ups between the 3. I’ve always had the opportunity to play with a few others.

The bergara, tikka and cz are excellent in their own manner. The bergara being 700 platform offer the most aftermarket support. There bolt close can leave a little to be desired sometimes but when running quick it’s not issues. Tikka is the lightest and has the least amount of aftermarket support. There triggers are nice and tend to be good shooters. The cz is king of the rimfires as far as factory goes. So reliable, super accurate and great aftermarket support. It’s where I’d go if I went factory any day of the week! A lot will shoot right there with the higher end 22’s.

Rimx, vudoo and deuce are the 3 main higher end or custom rimfires. I own all 3 and have had 2 vudoo’s. The vudoo barreled actions are amazing. Out of the box tbey just shoot! Super easy, super accurate. The rimx took more tinkering so to speak but there magazine’s are super much nicer! The deuce requires a chassis with an adjustable mag latch or some tinkering to get their mag to work: I run altered vudoo mags. All 3 are 700 footprints and all 3 are great!

My recommendation is figure out your budget and go from there

Reactions: Excelsior32
I just went down the 22lr rabbit hole and this is my set up. I went all out and i am into is about $5200 and it shoots awesome.
Vudoo with 22in MTU barrel
MPA chassis
Tract Toric 4.5-30x56
sphur mount
Accu-Tac WB-5 bipod
Ammo Lapua Long Rang shoots best in my rifle followed by RWS100 then RWS 50.

If I had a lower budget I would go the CZ 457 with the heavy barrel I think it's a 22in and get the area 419 scope mount. I would still use the same scope, scope mount and bipod. You can shave about 2k off what I spent.
There is always the Ruger Precision Rifle and put a new match barrel on it.
Good luck

View attachment 8134405
My reply is start with a CZ 457. I have a RPR(rimfire) and it's ok at best for target shooting.

To Gixxxer2000... We have almost the exact same setup.

My sidebar question is about your Toric 4.5 - 30. So far I am not a big fan of the Toric (I have the 4.5 -30 UHD). I just can't seem to set up the focus to make it as clear as my Midas Tac or Delta Strykers that are on my other .22's. Also the parallax is off by a fair amount from what is on the dial (especially at 50 yards). What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I have just the smallest if focus issues at 25 no issues at 50 or beyond. As for the parallax check the focus on the eye piece when set to 50 yards.
Here is the other 22. vortex venom 5-25

IMG_0224 (10).jpg

I’ve been shooting rimfire for 2 1/2 years now and a touch over 37,000 rounds on the match set ups between the 3. I’ve always had the opportunity to play with a few others.

The bergara, tikka and cz are excellent in their own manner. The bergara being 700 platform offer the most aftermarket support. There bolt close can leave a little to be desired sometimes but when running quick it’s not issues. Tikka is the lightest and has the least amount of aftermarket support. There triggers are nice and tend to be good shooters. The cz is king of the rimfires as far as factory goes. So reliable, super accurate and great aftermarket support. It’s where I’d go if I went factory any day of the week! A lot will shoot right there with the higher end 22’s.

Rimx, vudoo and deuce are the 3 main higher end or custom rimfires. I own all 3 and have had 2 vudoo’s. The vudoo barreled actions are amazing. Out of the box tbey just shoot! Super easy, super accurate. The rimx took more tinkering so to speak but there magazine’s are super much nicer! The deuce requires a chassis with an adjustable mag latch or some tinkering to get their mag to work: I run altered vudoo mags. All 3 are 700 footprints and all 3 are great!

Matt

Matt, I'm new to the forum and am very curious on ypur rimx tinkering on your rimx -- I've a number of rimfire rifles and shoot weekly practice and fun matches in addition to monthly organized matches in a small private club. I began with a Begara almost two years ago and have a couple CZ MTR rifles and recently went down the rimx rabbit hole. I would say all three shoot similar and are capable of shooting MOA or better most of the time at 100 yards with good ammo. I do regular ammo testing to match the gun with its preferred ammo, and I'm still learning what the rimx likes.

There are severlal V-22's in the club that I believe shoot more consistent and smaller groups beyond 200 yards. We shoot targets as small as primers and 1/4 rods and have targets out to 355 yards that naturally get larger.

Do you have any lessons learned on your rimx that you can share, ie your tinkering? I've had no issues with feeding, firing and extracting and want to extract the best possible accuracy from the rimx platform. I've got very good optics and triggers, and all my shooting is from a bench -- we're just competing for bragging rights and having fun doing it.

Reactions: GIXXER2000
Matt

Matt, I'm new to the forum and am very curious on ypur rimx tinkering on your rimx -- I've a number of rimfire rifles and shoot weekly practice and fun matches in addition to monthly organized matches in a small private club. I began with a Begara almost two years ago and have a couple CZ MTR rifles and recently went down the rimx rabbit hole. I would say all three shoot similar and are capable of shooting MOA or better most of the time at 100 yards with good ammo. I do regular ammo testing to match the gun with its preferred ammo, and I'm still learning what the rimx likes.

There are severlal V-22's in the club that I believe shoot more consistent and smaller groups beyond 200 yards. We shoot targets as small as primers and 1/4 rods and have targets out to 355 yards that naturally get larger.

Do you have any lessons learned on your rimx that you can share, ie your tinkering? I've had no issues with feeding, firing and extracting and want to extract the best possible accuracy from the rimx platform. I've got very good optics and triggers, and all my shooting is from a bench -- we're just competing for bragging rights and having fun doing it.

The first rimx we got had the old extractor kit. We had extraction issues with certain ammo, we broke 1 after 1200 rounds. The mags can take a second to get just right. All small stuff, but for someone who is brand new to precision rifles and tinkering isn’t there thing it can be worth a mention. If you’re getting a rimx build complete from a smith there is no issues.

The second rimx was mainly just mag height adjustment. Seem to take a minute to get them right. Has tons of fairly to eject off the hop. Was just annoying but they are both working great now.

The rimx is a great action, and definitely a fun one. It’s my least favourite of the 3 but still an amazing action.

So I have been debating what type of target shooting I can afford to do on a limited budget. I want to get into practicing every weekend with my little nephew, and teach him firearms safety and a passion he can enjoy for a lifetime. I have no idea where to start, except regarding caliber, and distances. I need help with the following; rifle make, model , features needed, price range to expect, semiautomatic or bolt action(Ruger 10/22 vs CZ 457 MTR), build or buy, what can print the smallest groups, at what point does price dictate accuracy, can a $400 rifle be more accurate than I am and should shoot up to a higher dollar setup, at what point would price be only adding features and not accuracy, what barrel lengths are best for range, velocity and accuracy, is the $2,000 Bushnell XRS 4.5–30xs 50mm scope with G2 reticle a good choice for plinking, is a 22 LR rifle like a factory Remington 700 in which I can buy a base model and upgrade the barrel plus blueprint to achieve the precision of a much more expensive setup(like putting a Krieger barrel on a Ruger Precision rifle), accessories needed like a range finder and what is used for long range/caliber shooting, ammunition preferences like CCI green tag, if a suppressor is worth having for a 22 caliber, and anything recommended? I love the “Know your limits “ competition. It would be for that and bullseye competition. I would not be running around trying to be Keanu Reeves. Basically is there a formula or guidelines for shooting rim fire rifles in competitions? And if being an expert in 22LR shooting translates over to big bore long range precision shooting? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here you go: https://www.champchoice.com/mc-fire...-m-lightwgt-650mm-22lr-w-3-expert-sto-2818256

1696436065573.png

I always click these Intro threads hoping to share some insight only to always instantly regret looking inside them.
All these cool builds makes me want to build something new. Then with all the information, it really makes me realize I know nothing. Lol.

Last edited: