• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors 22 LR Suppressors

Re: 22 LR Suppressors

I have a SWR Spector, and both Silencerco's. I would go with a silencerco. Light, easy to clean, works on all rim fire, they have great customer service. I also am a dealer, I've shot most brands I would go with the SS Sparrow. My stock of them has shipped and will be ready for transfer next week. I also have Alumiunm in stock for $275. New

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AnschutzNerd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The cans I considered the top 3 when making my selection:

***AAC Element - It's light. Can NOT survive "the dip", reports of poor customer service from AAC.

Good Luck,

AnschutzNerd. </div></div>

I dont know where you heard the element cant be dipped. They dont recomend dipping the end caps. Almost all the crud ends up on the baffles andey they are stainless material that can be dipped. I have one and have dipped the internals several times without issues. Like i said the end caps dont really get gunked up and when you take the internals out it scrapes everything off the inside of the tube.

I would recomend the specter or the element. both good cans.

CJG

Whatever you do, if it's for .22lr, get a takedown can rather than a sealed can. The amount of loose powdered lead crap that I poured out of my Spectre after its first 150rds convinced me that I'd made a good decision in getting a takedown can.
Scrubbing baffles sucks, but it beats filling up a sealed can and sending it back to the manufacturer in my opinion.
Also, anti-seize grease is your friend. Use it liberally.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poodleshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever you do, if it's for .22lr, get a takedown can rather than a sealed can. The amount of loose powdered lead crap that I poured out of my Spectre after its first 150rds convinced me that I'd made a good decision in getting a takedown can.
Scrubbing baffles sucks, but it beats filling up a sealed can and sending it back to the manufacturer in my opinion.
Also, anti-seize grease is your friend. Use it liberally.
</div></div>

Meh, Anti-seize does its job, but that stuff makes a helluva mess.

I look like the tin man when I'm done with it.. Not worth the trouble in my opinion..

Never not been able to get my end caps off with a spanner wrench and a bench vise
smile.gif

oh ya Well I got my order for a sparrow yesterday in progress. Only problem is I used a houston area TRUST attorney who cost $450 (all I am saying). The dealer does trusts for free when you buy from them and they seem to be a better trust.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wakerider017</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The dip is made of 1 part regular white vinegar and 1 part hydrogen peroxide that you can buy at any drug store.

It produces a toxic compound called lead acetate. Don't worry, it is not radioactive and it won't kill you if you look at it.
</div></div>

Not quite. The mix is not lead acetate. The hydrogen peroxide combines with the vinegar to make a stronger oxidizing agent than just white vinegar (acetic acid).

When you but the lead dust from soaking the can in the mixture, it then creates lead acetate.

Mix with plenty of baking soda to neutralize any acid. It should then be no more toxic than ordinary lead. It has been a long time since I took chemistry so there is a chance I may have overlooked something.

Also, keep in mind the amount of lead we are talking about. I haven't cleaned a 22 suppressor, but is there the equivalent of a bullet in residue? I strongly doubt it. It definitely won't have any more heavy metal than an ordinary AA battery.

I have been running a Gemtech Vortex can for roughly 15(?) years. It has seen very heavy use. I cannot begin to count the bricks that have gone through it. I know that when bricks (500rds)of Remington subsonic went over $15 I was grouching up a storm.

My Vortex's primary home is a MKII. Back before there was a market for, or availability of such, I mounted a chunk of weaver rail underneath mine so I could attach a light. Now there are a ton of aftermarket options.... but anyways. My Ruger wears a light and a set of CT laser grips. For jackrabbits munching on and shitting all over ranchers haystacks it is the ideal pest control tool.

The Gemtech also sees use on a Marvel 1911 conversion unit, as well as a 10-22 and CZ 452 American bolt gun. It is a sweet piece of gear.

In regards to cleaning it, I use scalding hot water and dawn dish soap. It works well. Add a bit of kroil in after that. If you can, run an additional mag through the can and add a couple more drops of oil.

This method has worked for me for a long time. Doing it over again, I would still prefer this can over an aluminum one.

53 yards:

53Yrds1shotSuprsd.jpg

+1 on the Gemtech Outback II. Especially now that its serviceable. Can't wait to get mine upgraded.

I have a Liberty Kodiak and am a very happy camper. It can be a little hard to get appart if you let it go too long without cleaning. David was super nice when I got a chance to stop by his shop. Mjolnir was a hoot to shoot.

I also have a Silencerco Sparrow that has made it's way to my dealer. After looking at it, the folks as Silencerco are really thinking about what they are doing considering the importance (in my opinion) of having a take apart can for .22 rimfire use.

For now, I scrape. Hopefully I will be able to find a compact bead blast cabinet for cleaning. I was also impressed with the SS tumbling media for suppressor cleaning.

Please excuse my ignorance on this subject , I may be asking
some dumb questions about suppressors. I have wanted to
suppress a .22 for a while, mostly for varmint control around
my lake house.

What is the first step to get the ball rolling ? I understand about
the $200. fee to the government , where do I get an application ?

Can I use the same suppressor on multiple rifles/pistols , Or
is there a separate fee for each ?

Thanks in advance

MO1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Please excuse my ignorance on this subject , I may be asking
some dumb questions about suppressors. I have wanted to
suppress a .22 for a while, mostly for varmint control around
my lake house.

What is the first step to get the ball rolling ? I understand about
the $200. fee to the government , where do I get an application ?

http://www.atf.gov/forms/firearms/

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-4.pdf
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-20.pdf

Can I use the same suppressor on multiple rifles/pistols , Or
is there a separate fee for each ?

<span style="font-weight: bold">The $200 fee is for each suppressor, not each host</span>

Thanks in advance

MO1
</div></div>

See above.

Visit a local SOT holder (class III dealer or manufacturer) and test some out. They will help you through the legal process.

BTW, mine is a Vortex, which predates a outback by about a decade. It is not a takedown can. This has never once presented a single issue. Cleaning it in the manner I described above with hot water and dish soap,followed by a coat of oil, it has been perfect after many, many tens of thousands of rounds. It has been a super high volume toy.

In fact I believe it has been the single most enjoyable firearms purchase I have ever made.

Cheers!

AAC Prodigy. Hypersone Monolithic Baffle core. Simplicity of design, light weight (only 3.6 oz) and quiet. Work fine on my P22 and MKII TRSR.