• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 mag accuracy problems

nickdahick

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2008
Coeur d' Aene, ID
I took a anschutz 141M .22 mage to the range today that I just rebuilt. After fixing some stock damage, I refinished the stock in hand rubbed oil. I glass bedded the barrel channel first, using 3M bedding tape. I then bedded the action. I checked for free float on the barrel, which it was. I could fit 2 $1 bills under the barrel, clear back to the receiver. I did just have the barrel and action reblued, after polishing it fully. I cleaned the rifle VERY well, using JB bore paste, making 5 passes through the barrel 5 different times. Prior to getting blued, I had my gunsmith recrown the barrel. I shot 4 5 round groups after getting less than expected accuracy. I fire lapped the barrel using 5 rnds of 220 grit, 5 rnds of 320 grit, and 5 rnds of 600 grit. I was shooting fed premium 30 gr ammo. The rifle would not n hit a 8" target 6 out of 10 rnds from a mech rest on a bench. I am having trouble finding any other ammo in the area to test. The scope was tight. The action was tight. Is there anything else I could be missing? I did locate a slight shadow in the bore, approx 3" from the crown, but no pitting, and the rifling is sharp and bright. Any help would be very much appreciated. I have almost 30 hrs into this gun and am more than a little frustrated.

Re: .22 mag accuracy problems

If you can find any of the Hornady 30 gr. ammo try it. My 22 mags seem to like it best. Alot better than they like the Remington stuff.

At what distance are you shooting? 50 yards? 100 yards? If it won't hit an 8 inch target 6/10 trys, I'm thinking that it is a barrel problem and not an ammo problem. I've never had ammo that was THAT bad it wont hit an 8 inch target within 100 yards, even ammo the gun doesn't like. See if you can get a bore scope on that shaddow and find out what that is all about, probably nothing. I'd also go back and check that the barrel is on tight, inspect the chamber for damage and it wouldn't hurt to check the crown either since you said it has been worked on as well. All else fails you should order some different ammo and see if that is the culprit. How did it shoot before being worked on?

Try some 40 grain Winchester JHP. Some barrels just don't like the 30 grain ammo.

Thanks for all of your help. The rifle definitely likes 40 gr ammo. I was unable to shoot it, but my brother took it out and shot 15 3 shot groups. Without a rest, he was able to shoot 1 1/2-2" groups consistantly. It was not only ammo though. I hate to admit it, but it was due to my lack of intelegence. I failed to check the free float after I reasembled the rifle. I had tightened the action screws down too much and had one hell of a pressure on the barrel at the forend of the stock. I guess I am not as good at tinkering with guns as I would like to think. I guess if I am not being humbled, I am not learning.

Yeah I had the Savage 93 .22 mag and it only liked Winchester 40 - 45 grain. Anything else was just a waste of money.