• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 mag accuracy ???

BrettSass844

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Germantown, OHIO
Curious what some of you 22mag shooters are obtaining as far as accuracy. I have a Savage 93G that is very picky with ammo. I can get a little under a inch at 50 yards and right at a inch at 100 yards. This summer my cousin and I are starting a little competitive rimfire shooting at our local range out to 200. I will be using my Savage MKII 22LR. He is currently shopping for a rifle for this reason. Only rimfire he has is a Henry 22 lever. He is leaning towards a 22mag but I have heard from many sources that they are not the best for accuracy. He is also considering a 17HMR which we all know can be tack drivers. What is the best accuracy you guys have had at 100, 200 and further with a 22mag? What ammo have you had the best luck with?

Re: 22 mag accuracy ???

I have a marlin 22mag, shoots moa or just under at 100yds. I have found that the winchester silver box ammo worked the best. Its the baisc cheap ammo. I have tried all of the others. The new hornady stuff shot the worst. the rifle does ok at 100, and opens up at 200. roughly a 2.5 2.75 group. It does seem to buck the wind a little better than the 22s do with the extra velocity.

Thanks for the input. I was doing a little research last night and found that most 22mag rounds go subsonic before 200 yards. Compared to the 17hmr where both the 17 and 20 grain ammo is still supersonic beyond 200. I have noticed that when I played with my little Savage noodle barrel 22mag out to 200 for shits and giggles that it did buck the wind better. However I made fewer hits with it that my 22LR on 4" metal. I recommended he stay with a 22LR or a 17. But he is hard headed and stubborn and I would more than likely have better luck drinking my coffee with a fork. Keep the info coming on 22mag accuracy and the distance you guys have took it out to. Thanks

I've shot more than my share of .17 and I've found that a .17 is VERY easily blown off course with just a little breeze. But on a decent day they shoot very flat. The issue with the .22 Mag is the availability (or lack thereof) of "match" grade ammo.

The other down side to the Mag and .17 compared to a .22LR is cost of ammo (generally).

My personal opinion is to stay with the .22LR... but its his choice! The good news is that any day when the wind gets a little brisk... you will smoke him with your .22LR!!! LOL!

my marlin 882 shoots 1 jagged hole at 50, around an inch at 100, around 3" at 200 using hornady 30gr vmax - devastating ammo on game, and shoots the best through my particular rifle.

my second best pick ammo wise is the winchester supreme 34 gr "black box", slightly larger groups at 100 and 200.

pricey for plinking though, i'd rather stick to the .22lr for paper.

My Savage 93fv hovers around 1" at 100 with CCI MaxiMag, both JHP and FMJ loads. And they shoot to teh same POI

Plenty for me, don't see the need to test anything else.

we had winter rimfire matches on hbr targets and 17 hmr and 22 lr have always won,the 22 mags would shoot very consistantly with select ammo but they always seemed to have a flier or 2 over 50 rounds.the 22 lr ammo which did most of the winning is NOT cheaper than 17 hmr or 22 mag ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wyobill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the 22 lr ammo which did most of the winning is NOT cheaper than 17 hmr or 22 mag ammo. </div></div>

that is usually the case, but would like to add it is nice to know that there is a wider selection of ammo available for every budget, rifle, and shooting discipline. the cheapest i can get .22 mag nowadays is 9.99 for stuff i that don't work well for me through my setup past 50 yards. the same price gives me good match .22lr ammo, or for $5 more 500 rnds of bulk stuff.

i believe that type of adaptability for your particular situation is what makes the .22lr the best all around rimfire cartridge to have in the safe.

Years ago I had a marlin heavy barrel bolt action 22 mag that shot very well. I could hit sweet gum balls at 75 yards on a regular basis. I only shot one type of winchester ammo though, and cant remember which it was.

The 22 mag was designed to kill small varmints to about 125 yards with late 1950's accuracy standards. This it does well. I do not think it has advanced much or any since then. I have one in a S&W revolver and a Win 61 and find them to both be useful tools. Just not anything I care to shoot on the range all the time. JMO

My old Marlin bolt action tubular mag Microgroove shoots around .85" at 100 yards with Winchester Dynapoint (about the cheapest 22 mag I've found) and .75" with Winchester Supreme 34 grain.

At 200, the Dynapoint is blowful, printing about 2.5". The Supreme holds around 2". I got terrible accuracy with CCI Gamepoint at all distances.

Mind you, this is at 5000+ feet altitude, so the bullets stay supersonic out a little further than they will at sea level and these are the only types of ammo I've tried through it.

I have less trigger time behind this rifle than any other I own. I am in the process of gathering up a few more ammo types to wring out, but so far it seems like it would be fine on prairie poodles out to 200 yards and not too bad for coyotes at closer ranges. My CZ452 is much more accurate and less ammo sensitive. That, plus the lower cost of the Long Rifles means I will probably shoot 50 times as much with the CZ.

If your friend is shooting targets, a 22 LR is cheaper to feed and will do fine. (Less expensive ammo means more practice- more practice means better shooting skills- better shooting skills means higher placement in competition). The 17 tends to be accurate and shoots flatter than either 22 and ammo is generally cheaper than or equal in price to the mag, so my choice would be 22LR, 17HMR, and 22WMR in that order.