• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 mag recomendations

ker2222

Minuteman
Sep 3, 2004
Hastings, MN
I am looking for a 22 mag......

don't know anything about the various models or makers. Looking for a bolt that can shoot the lighter 30-35gr v-max type bullets....I like heavy barrels, even on hunting rigs. Need one for hunting smallish type game (turkey biggest) out to 100yrds or so. Would love it if I could find a manners or mcmillan stock for it too!!!

any recomendations???

Re: 22 mag recomendations

anshutz nice, don't know if you want to drag that around the field though.
IMO...cz is awesome, then savage. my marlin shoots the jhornady 30gr vmax ammo well, but the savage is more accurate than it.

if using the 30gr vmax for turkey you may want to check this out:
.22 mag 30 gr hornady ammo

CZ 452 American I have one and cant say enough good things about it, they also make a varmint, mine likes both the Remington premier and the v-max.

I picked up a Sako Quad a few months ago in 22wmr, also picked up a 22LR barrel for it. So far I'm really liking it! It was used and came with an aftermarket barrel on it which I had a little bit of trouble identifying at first but turned out to be a Superior Tactical Solutions lightweight bull barrel, it's an aluminum/stainless steel barrel that shoots very well. I ended up putting on a cheap Centerpoint scope on it that actually works well for it, the rings are higher than I want but allow me to change barrels without having to remove the scope so that's the trade off.

Scope in pics is no longer....replaced it with a higher mag scope with target knobs.

sakobarrel005.jpg

sakobarrel001.jpg

sakobarrel002.jpg

sakobarrel003.jpg

One of my better groups 50 yard
shotgroups10072009011.jpg

5 different ammo's 50 yards
shotgroups10072009006.jpg

I had the Savage 93. It was pretty sweet. Heavy barrel, nice stock, accu trigger. Looks nice, shoots nice, and I don't really know what it goes for now but I think it's $250 - $300.

Cooper52LVT.jpg

Here's my Cooper 57 LVT. It shoots the Remington green tip stuff pretty well. I don't have a target, so I can't give specifics, but that stuff shoots as well as anything else I've tried in it.

Fast Ed

WMR is a GREAT wild turkey rifle!
I've got CZ452, H&K300, old Mossberg "Chuckster (shoots really well since I shortened the barrel), and would like to get a Browning T-Bolt.

If you are lucky, your WMR will shoot virtually to same POI at shorter ranges with Win. Dyna-Point or .22WRF Win. 45 gr. lead FN. since these are "kinder" to edible game than even fmj WMR.

I still have a few boxes of 40 gr. Win. I bought three cases of 35 years ago. (Still sure-fire, still accurate....)

Just got 8 or 9 cases of PMC 40 gr. s.p. on close-out a few years ago (pre-kenya-born porch monkey ammo scare/ammo shortage), so that will last more than my lifetime.

Dave