• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 magnum - Newbie

NavyBob

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2013
Hello Everyone,

In the rimfire arena, I have had several weapons, some handguns, I feel that the magnum has been under appreciated.
This is my first post and I'm sure it may have already been talked about, but the Ruger 10/22 in .22 magnum (no longer produced) is my favorite.
It's older, and finding even magazines are a needle in the haystack.

Most people will stick with .22lr and CCI is on the top of my list for that, while winchester in .22 magnum.
Also, right now it's easier to find magnum over long rifle in my area.

I am in the market for something different to be may next project, so the question is;

What would be your choice?

I know what you mean, 22 mag is unappreciated for sure.

My first firearm was a 22 mag, got a Savage Anschutz 141M for my birthday when I was 12, so I've always had a soft spot for them! Killed enough small game and PD's to fill the back of a pickup truck with that 22 mag.

You already have a semiauto or I'd recommend getting a HK300. It's the best 22 mag I've ever owned! Never has malfunctioned and 1.2 moa accurate. The Volquartsen and 10-22 mag I had both malfunctioned once in a while.

Winchester is coming out with the new 17wsm, might be fun to try. 17 hmr is fun but I prefer 22 mag between those two.

Small 17 centerfires are pretty fun. 17HH or 17 Fireball have quite a bit more energy and less wind drift.

A high quality 22lr with match ammo is a formidable tool. I'm really liking my Anschutz MPR. The best groups were .2" at 50Y and a lucky 1" at 177Y.

I've always been a fan of the magnum as well. I tried for a while to find either a 10/22M or a Magnum Research, but I refuse to pay what they're bringing now. I took a chance recently with a 597 magnum varmint recently and I've been really impressed with it. It's not as accurate as my Volquartsen 17HMR, but it's a lot less too!

Growing up, it seemed that just about everyone I knew had a Winchester 9422 magnum. That was my first 22 mag and I still love taking it out. If you're not going with another semi auto or a bolt gun, think about a lever...

Chris

I bought my Ruger new when it first was released (didn't last long though) , with a beautiful solid walnut stock. Today, if you find one, they are massively overpriced.

Steve, I like the idea of the HK, I've owned both the SL6 & 7, 25 years ago and they were perfect. I was heading towards the Savage, but Chris maybe you have a good direction.

Thanks, Bob

I looked for a 10/22 magnum for awhile. I finally decided I wasn't going to find one for a decent price. I think I just may end up buying a Smith model 48 instead to use the nice stash of .22WMR ammo I have set aside.

My grandpa worked one of the main ammo manufacturers and he told me they had a hard time making an accurate round for the .22 mag. Are you guys able to get decent accuracy out of these? I myself would prefer a small centerfire that i can reload than a 22 mag if accuracy is important.

I think it depends on what you're looking for. I use my 22 wmr for hunting but rarely for target practice. While the Remington ballistic tip usually gives a tighter group, I shoot Winchester the most. It is accurate in my rifles and has a much lower cost. It doesn't hurt that I have several bricks of it also.

Chris

I get golfball size groups at 100 yards w my savage regularly so accuracy is right there. I'm a huge fan of both 22mag and 17 that I couldn't decide which to get. So I got both in savage
night eagle

I have a 9422 mag that I dearly love. With a 3x9x40 Nikon scope, it holds minute of squirel head out to 100 yards. I also have a 9422 that shoots S-L-LR that's just as accurate. Both are a pleasure to carry and shoot.

9422s are getting pricey, but deals can still be had if you're willing to search a little.

just got a CZ512 in 22 mag, loves 30gr v-maxes and is deadly on jacks
this is a semi btw

When I first got the CZ, I dry fired it and went shit this sucks. But actually firing the gun its not bad at all.
Reliability has been flawless unlike my 10/22 mag and the mags are easy to carry being that they're flat.
I put a Aimpoint H1 on mine with the dovetail mount and its perfect for cheekweld and more importantly,,,runners as in jacks!

I have 4-5K through .22 mags. I have found the range and accuracy of the .17Hmr to be much better.

Now, when it comes to effect on target, there is nothing thus far in the rimfire relm that compares to a .22 Mag with CCI TNT on a PD inside 50 yards.

The new .17 wsm sounds like a good time, but like most things it needs to get its feet under it first. And with demand through the roof I dont see it getting much attention for a few years.

Which means the .17hmr will keep trucking along

Standard barrel. No pics, I have the McMillan stock made exclusively for Volquarsten on the rifle. I shoot a steel match with it where you have to hit 1/2 inch steel target at 50 yards which I can do consistently with the rifle.

Last edited:
If you can find and afford one, a Winchester 61 pump will amaze you for accuracy and is nice to carry in the woods.
Mine shoots under 2" at 150 yards and mostly well under that. Not sure what they cost now. For it's size, I have found nothing to compare with it's killing ability. Always functions. No issues.

Got a winchester 9422 in 22 mag coming, you guys got me excited. Been scouring in the internet in which scope to get. Thinking of a 4 or 6x leupy for it.